Elidor by Alan Garner

Elidor (original 1965; edition 1980)

by Alan Garner

Member:brightglance
Title:Elidor
Authors:Alan Garner
Info:Lions (1980), Paperback, 160 pages

Elidor by Alan Garner (1965)

I miss my old edition of Elidor but it seems to have vanished along with its wonderful illustrations. Elidor, that strange halfway-house book between Garner's more conventional children's fantasies and his truly powerful, timeshifting work in Owl Service and Red Shift.

Four children find themselves almost randomly in an urban wasteland and pass through to another world. When they return they are carrying four Treasures which must be hidden and protected. As time goes on, the children begin to forget and rationalise their experience, but forces on Elidor are trying to break through, homing in on the Treasures themselves.

Elidor is portal fantasy as ghost story. The book is full of strange phenomena: massive build-us of static electricity, shadows on walls, mysterious figures on the porch and eyes peeking through letterboxes. A message comes through on a spiritualist's planchette. It is spooky and unnerving and haunting in every sense of the word. It is also tight, spare and economical, without a wasted word or scene, and the terrible sacrifice at the end has always stayed with me. ( )
2 vote Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
The three brothers and their sister are wandering around town when they unexpectedly find themselves in another world, the world of Elidor. They soon learn that they are to be the saviors of the world, that they are to be the guardians of the four Treasures. They return to their world, but before long people from Elidor, determined to destroy the land, follow the four. ( )
1 vote debnance | Jun 27, 2014 |
I found this to be an unusual story. Four British children are drawn into another world that is being overcome by dark forces, and must protect it's Treasures, in order that that world may survive. By taking on this charge, they are in more danger in their own world than they realize...

I liked the idea of this story, and much of the language and description was concise and evocative. However, the characters and their motivations never really felt fleshed out to me, and the end of the story was so abrupt that I wondered what actually happened there at the end. ( )
2 vote puttocklibrary | Nov 10, 2011 |
Powerful and eldritch, with that wonderful sense of there being other things just out of sight of the mundane world. I seem to remember quite a good kids' TV adaptation in the 1980s.
1 vote PollyMoore3 | Mar 10, 2011 |
I think I have read this, long time ago, I think I've even seen the TV series - but it's been such a long time I don't think it counts as read any longer. Would love to read it again.
1 vote | Ayling | Dec 28, 2010 |

Schwinger, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Springett, MartinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J.H.
"All right", said Nicholas. "You're fed up. So am I. But we're better off here than at home."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152056246, Paperback)

A mechanical street map, a deserted slum, a church in ruins, and a football. Four ordinary things lead the Watson children on an extraordinary adventure to a magical land called Elidor. In pursuit of four ancient treasures, the forces of evil have crossed over into our world, and it falls to the Watson children to find the treasures, seal the bridge between worlds, and guard the strayed unicorn Findhorn . . . even though their heroism may cost them everything.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:38 -0400)

While exploring a church that is being razed in a Manchester slum, four English children are drawn into another world where they are compelled to combat the evil power which grips most of the land.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,491,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible