Elidor by Alan Garner

Elidor (original 1965; edition 1980)

by Alan Garner

Member:brightglance
Title:Elidor
Authors:Alan Garner
Info:Lions (1980), Paperback, 160 pages

Elidor by Alan Garner (1965)

Recently added byatuson, Nialle, peterpetcarp, pasilally, private library, archipelagos

The three brothers and their sister are wandering around town when they unexpectedly find themselves in another world, the world of Elidor. They soon learn that they are to be the saviors of the world, that they are to be the guardians of the four Treasures. They return to their world, but before long people from Elidor, determined to destroy the land, follow the four. ( )
  debnance | Jun 27, 2014 |
I found this to be an unusual story. Four British children are drawn into another world that is being overcome by dark forces, and must protect it's Treasures, in order that that world may survive. By taking on this charge, they are in more danger in their own world than they realize...

I liked the idea of this story, and much of the language and description was concise and evocative. However, the characters and their motivations never really felt fleshed out to me, and the end of the story was so abrupt that I wondered what actually happened there at the end. ( )
1 vote puttocklibrary | Nov 10, 2011 |
Powerful and eldritch, with that wonderful sense of there being other things just out of sight of the mundane world. I seem to remember quite a good kids' TV adaptation in the 1980s.
  PollyMoore3 | Mar 10, 2011 |
I think I have read this, long time ago, I think I've even seen the TV series - but it's been such a long time I don't think it counts as read any longer. Would love to read it again.
  Ayling | Dec 28, 2010 |
I first read this, as a child, back in the 70's and vaguely remembered it. Garner's power of description and the creating of atmosphere means that the quality of writing is good; but for me too many questions are left unanswered. The opening scenes as the four children explore the Manchester slums being demolished draw you into a feeling of discomfort. The descriptions of family life and the impact of their adventure are drawn out but the actual climax of the book felt rushed and left me feeling unsatisfied. ( )
1 vote calm | Jan 21, 2010 |

Alan Garnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juva, KerstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keeping, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovamo, TuijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J.H.
"All right", said Nicholas. "You're fed up. So am I. But we're better off here than at home."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152056246, Paperback)

A mechanical street map, a deserted slum, a church in ruins, and a football. Four ordinary things lead the Watson children on an extraordinary adventure to a magical land called Elidor. In pursuit of four ancient treasures, the forces of evil have crossed over into our world, and it falls to the Watson children to find the treasures, seal the bridge between worlds, and guard the strayed unicorn Findhorn . . . even though their heroism may cost them everything.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:27 -0400)

While exploring a church that is being razed in a Manchester slum, four English children are drawn into another world where they are compelled to combat the evil power which grips most of the land.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible