Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve

Mortal Engines (2001)

by Philip Reeve

Recently added byfitals, rena75, chapman.2t, OnneliA, Rosechaser110, private library, drskylaser, StRaphaelas
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (Maid_Marian)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (Jannes)
    Jannes: Airships and high adventure in a post-apocalyptic and retrofuturistic word. Also, air pirates.
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (Jesh1721)
    Predator's Gold by Philip Reeve (joririchardson)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (Rubbah)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (passion4reading)
    passion4reading: Intelligent and thought-provoking children's/YA fiction with an unusual premise.
    Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (Enyonam)
    Worldshaker by Richard Harland (Maid_Marian)
    The Teacher's Tales of Terror / Traction City: A World Book Day Flip Book by Chris Priestley (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Traction City features a young Anna Fang, who subsequently has a major role to play in Mortal Engines and its sequels.

English (82)  Dutch (1)  All languages (83)
Seré honesta y admitiré que la razón principal por la que decidí leerme este libro es por todo el hype que hay en torno a la película. Y aunque fue una lectura rápida y entretenida, no puedo decir que haya sido una de las más memorables para mí.

El setting del mundo post-apocalíptico me pareció ya muy usado y a pesar de los tintes steampunk que contiene la descripción de los escenarios y el mundo que me encantaron, se me hizo muy superficial. La trama es buena, los personajes son interesantes; pero el paso tan rápido que lleva la narración no da oportunidad a que te enganches realmente con la historia o alguno de los personajes.

Le daré el crédito debido ya que es una serie enfocada a chicos de secundaria (12-15 años), y entiendo que, como tal, no podía ser tan intrínseca o larga, pero sí me dejó con la sensación de que le faltaron varias cosas para ser un libro realmente bueno.

No creo continuar la saga de momento, pero no me cierro a la idea de hacerlo en un futuro. ( )
  LenoreDiKaat | Mar 10, 2019 |
No longer than it needs to be. The environment is complex and the characters/motivations simple, with great results. ( )
1 vote sarcher | Feb 8, 2019 |
Everything was going on relatively predictable, and the only mysteries were when the characters would understand the things we realized long ago. In the end, if you peel away the adventures and fast pace, you are left under a fairly basic plot. Add something to this book that will make my curiosity scream, and it will be perfect. But even as it is, it's really awesome. ( )
  Bertchuba | Feb 4, 2019 |
Dark in places for a YA offering. Though I’ve not seen the film, I read the book first. Love the concept and most of the characters. If anything the book feels underwritten as if there’s much more story to tell but maybe it’s why it became a quartet. A magnificent exercise in world-building, though I imagine the city of London is much more immense in the novel than what I’ve seen on the screen in trailers. I can understand the allure of the book to a filmmaker like Peter Jackson. I may well read the rest in time. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | Jan 14, 2019 |
Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve is a story about love, courage and survival amid Mobile cities, ravaging each other for resources in a barren world.

The Bad Stuff: This is an old YA novel and the authors style is a little dated. There are multiple points of view and author interjections in parenthesis throughout the story.

The Good Stuff: While the style is unusual and dated, I enjoyed this book. There are some great characters and concepts, a few unexpected turns and a well established, albeit barren, wasteland of a world.

Overall, this is a good YA novel. You'll come to love the main characters and want to see them succeed. There are a few twists you won't see coming, that start very close to the beginning of the story. For entertainment value and creativity, I'm giving this one 3 out of 5 Golden Bookmarks. ( )
  AWA1 | Sep 24, 2018 |

Philip Reeveprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frankland, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sarah
It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea.

It's Municipal
Darwinism, where cities on
tracks devour towns.
(passion4reading)
Powerful children's
fiction that ought to be a
must-read for grown-ups.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060082097, Mass Market Paperback)

London is hunting

The great Traction City lumbers after a small town, eager to strip its prey of all assets and move on. Resources on the Great Hunting Ground that once was Europe are so limited that mobile cities must consume one another to survive, a practice known as Municipal Darwinism.

Tom, an apprentice in the Guild of Historians, saves his hero, Head Historian Thaddeus Valentine, from a murder attempt by the mysterious Hester Shaw -- only to find himself thrown from the city and stranded with Hester in the Out Country. As they struggle to follow the tracks of the city, the sinister plans of London's leaders begin to unfold ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:20 -0400)

In the distant future, when cities move about and consume smaller towns, a fifteen-year-old apprentice is pushed out of London by the man he most admires and must seek answers in the perilous Out-Country, aided by one girl and the memory of another.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,428,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible