Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Mortal Engines (Mortal Engines Quartet) by…

Mortal Engines (Mortal Engines Quartet) (original 2001; edition 2009)

by Philip Reeve

Member:MissSilver
Title:Mortal Engines (Mortal Engines Quartet)
Authors:Philip Reeve
Info:Marion Lloyd Books (2009), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (2001)

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (Jannes)
    Jannes: Airships and high adventure in a post-apocalyptic and retrofuturistic word. Also, air pirates.
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (Rubbah)
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (Maid_Marian)
    Predator's Gold by Philip Reeve (joririchardson)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (Jesh1721)
    The Teacher's Tales of Terror / Traction City: A World Book Day Flip Book by Chris Priestley (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Traction City features a young Anna Fang, who subsequently has a major role to play in Mortal Engines and its sequels.
    Worldshaker by Richard Harland (Maid_Marian)
    Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (Poodlerat)

English (55)  Dutch (1)  All languages (56)
Teenager's book. My daughter's favourite. Fun read but story a bit thin and two dimensional for adult tastes. ( )
  jvgravy | Dec 22, 2013 |
A good, if slightly macabre read. The only thing that annoyed me was the use of the present tense, thought it was more than a little unnecessary. ( )
  wildeaboutoscar | Sep 20, 2013 |
I thought the premise for this was interesting and the story itself was fine but the writing left something to be desired for me. I got a little frustrated that the continued to change the point of view. ( )
  | Sep 7, 2013 | edit |
This was really a cracking good read, and one which I sped through accordingly. Reeves has created a fully formed and intriguing world of the future, and, as it is often best to do, he has left a lot of questions unanswered. He is merciless with his characters, to the extent that many who would have seemed to be central to the ongoing plot are killed off in this first book. I'm certainly keen to get onto the second book, regardless.

The character of Hester is especially compelling, and Tom, though a bit wet, seems to have scads of that "unrealised potential" knocking about. It will be interesting to see where they go in the following volumes.

If I have one complaint, it is the shift into present tense which Reeves occasionally indulges in - I found it distracting and unnecessary. Not enough so, however, that's would mark it down in ratings terms. Four and a half stars, recommended. ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Aug 1, 2013 |
I’m on a personal mission at the moment to read more steampunk fiction, and I had this title recommended to me. I tracked it down in my local library, got settled with a cuppa and began to read. Very quickly I found myself becoming drawn into the book, as the plot picked up pace I turned the pages faster, desperate to find out what was going to happen next.

The plot is a captivating tale. The world as we know it is gone, cities and towns have converted to being movable, fitted with tracks and mechanisms, bigger cities “eat” smaller towns and villages, stripping them of their parts and people and using them to keep the cities going. There are two sets of children; Hester and Tom in the Out-Country and Katherine and Bevis inside London. They both start to unravel the secrets that London is hiding, as they do the action picks up wonderfully.

The book is full of brilliant characters. The four children are excellently written as are the people they meet along the way on their respective adventures. I can’t begin to pick out a favourite character, when the options include rebels and pirates and museum custodians it’s an impossible task.

I really enjoyed the way the book was written. It definitely captured my attention and I can imagine it would work brilliantly as bedtime reading for a parent to share with their child. I can’t imagine many parents would be able to resist the temptation to cheat and carry on reading after their child’s asleep though! ( )
  juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |
For Sarah
It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060082097, Mass Market Paperback)

London is hunting

The great Traction City lumbers after a small town, eager to strip its prey of all assets and move on. Resources on the Great Hunting Ground that once was Europe are so limited that mobile cities must consume one another to survive, a practice known as Municipal Darwinism.

Tom, an apprentice in the Guild of Historians, saves his hero, Head Historian Thaddeus Valentine, from a murder attempt by the mysterious Hester Shaw -- only to find himself thrown from the city and stranded with Hester in the Out Country. As they struggle to follow the tracks of the city, the sinister plans of London's leaders begin to unfold ...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:14 -0400)

In the distant future, when cities move about and consume smaller towns, a fifteen-year-old apprentice is pushed out of London by the man he most admires and must seek answers in the perilous Out-Country, aided by one girl and the memory of another.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,697,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible