You've Been Volunteered: A Class Mom Novel…

You've Been Volunteered: A Class Mom Novel (Class Mom (2)) (edition 2019)

by Laurie Gelman (Author)

Series: Class Mom (2)

If you've ever been a room parent or school volunteer, Jen Dixon is your hero. She says what every class mom is really thinking, whether in her notoriously frank emails or standup-worthy interactions with the micromanaging PTA President and the gamut of difficult parents. Luckily, she has the charm and wit to get away with it--most of the time. Jen is sassier than ever but dealing with a whole new set of challenges, in the world of parental politics and at home. She's been roped into room-parenting yet again, for her son Max's third grade class, but as her husband buries himself in work, her older daughters navigate adulthood, and Jen's own aging parents start to need some parenting themselves, Jen gets pulled in more directions than any one mom, or superhero, can handle. Refreshingly down-to-earth and brimming with warmth, Dixon's next chapter will keep you turning the pages to find out what's really going on under the veneer of polite parent interactions, and have you laughing along with her the whole way.… (more)
Member:BCandice
Title:You've Been Volunteered: A Class Mom Novel (Class Mom (2))
Authors:Laurie Gelman (Author)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2019), 288 pages

You've Been Volunteered by Laurie Gelman

Definitely not as good since the humor wasnt fresh but still a great read ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |
Now that school is back in session, Laurie Gelman’s You’ve Been Volunteered (her sequel to Class Mom) is a timely September read. Jen Dixon has three children, two adult daughters and an elementary-aged son. Her best friend has moved away, and her husband is preoccupied with trying to expand his sporting goods store business.

Once again Jen has been asked to be room mother for her third-grade son’s class, and since she was so successful at that, she has also been asked to head up the volunteer program for safety monitors. As we all know, the better you are at a job, the more jobs you are given. Unfortunately this job is not as easy as class mom.

And once again, readers are treated to Jenn’s hilarious emails to parents about classroom activities, parent/teacher nights and what not to bring to the Halloween party. We delve more into Jen’s life, and I especially liked Jen’s interactions with her aging parents and her loving, supportive husband.

If you enjoy American Housewife on TV, You’ve Been Volunteered is a book for you. ( )
  bookchickdi | Oct 5, 2019 |
You’ve Been Volunteered, Laurie Gelman, author and narrator
This book is not as laugh out loud funny as the first one, but it is an easy, light read with which to relax in this time of chaos and confusion. Her political beliefs are on the occasional page, as in a remark like “lipstick on a pig”, but mostly the book is about the trials and tribulations of wifehood, motherhood and womanhood. She is definitely a woman of the “me too”, TDS ilk.
Jen Dixon, the main character, is a witty, strong willed mother of three. Two of her daughters, Laura and Vivs, both products of her youth, are grown and independent. Her son is the child of her middle life. He is in third grade and is a happy, handful. She has decided to return to the job of class mother at a time when her own home is going through its own unique stress. Ron, her husband is investing in a franchise which requires a bit of belt tightening, using coupons to save money, something she resists, and avoiding extra extravagances.
Her everyday trials and triumphs loom large on every page, especially when she is appointed to head up the safety squad. However, some of her experiences feel very mundane and trite. Her emails to the other mothers in her son’s class are sometimes obnoxious and sometimes witty and revealing. Most of the mothers like her and appreciate her attempt to lighten the atmosphere with her cryptic messages. Most women at her stage of life and around her age, will easily identify with her complaints and triumphs. Because the author refers to Jen’s parents who are in their late 70’s, and discusses their life’s trials, older women will also enjoy the book. However, I do not think it is a man’s book, in any way, shape or form.
No subject is off the table for this author. She discusses cancer, which her mother has endured, the separation and divorce of her friends, the infidelity of some husbands, the bullying and pranking some kids engage in, the lovemaking habits of adults, pregnancy in unmarried young women, as in her daughter, the issues of single motherhood, even the death of a dear relative, and anything else that might come up in the days of an ordinary person of middle age, although she, now at 52, is approaching senior status.
I found the author’s approach to everything a bit to relaxed and cavalier, but it is a light quick read, one that would be perfectly wonderful for a plane ride or a day at the beach. As a rule, I do not believe that authors should read their own books, but she doesn’t do it too badly. Still, I do not think her tone of voice does justice to some of the passages in the audio. Perhaps a professional would have been better suited for the job. ( )
  thewanderingjew | Aug 28, 2019 |
I loved the shit out of Class Mom so I knew I was in for a treat with the follow up, You've Been Volunteered. Much in the same vein as the first novel, this hilarious book follows one stressed, hilarious, and over the top mother as she takes over being class mom for her son's third grade class. Jen Dixon is irreverent, zany, and over the top in everything that she does. From parenting to sending out class emails, there is something to be said for her pizzazz. When Jen gets volunteered for yet ANOTHER school activity, the safety patrol, it makes her want to vomit. More duties? Can't she just drink wine and take spin class? Plus her husband wants her to start cutting corners and saving money, with coupons and generic brands, gross. Laugh out loud funny, Jen Dixon is the mom's mom, and is the parent everyone secretly wants to be. Great fun! ( )
  ecataldi | Jul 8, 2019 |
After reading Class Mom, I was anxiously awaiting this follow up book. Well I am happy to report that the laughs are still coming. Yet, maybe not as strongly as the first book. Yes, I liked this book and it was a one day read for me but not as much as the first one.

Jen is back. Back again. Yes, Jen did use the lyrics from an Eminem song to announce her return. So watch out "b**ches". You won't want to get on Jen's bad side or she will assign you a task like school guard for two hour blocks of time or a baked good item for the school fundraiser. Don't forget that one or more children have a food allergy so the cookies need to be gluten free, no peanuts, vegan, keto friendly, plant based, and sugar free. On second thought, just bring napkins.

What was missing for me was more of the witty banter. It was there some but this time some frenemies became friends. While, this is nice it does not make for entertaining times. Yet, I am not complaining. In fact, I can't wait for Jen to share her next classroom adventures. If, you loved Class Mom, then, you won't want to miss this book ( )
  Cherylk | May 21, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

This book is dedicated to my parents, Ted and Barbara. They weren't here to see their daughter write a book, but they never for a second let me doubt that I could.
I stare at my computer screen and ponder my email.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,787,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible