Matt Monroe and the Secret Society of…

Matt Monroe and the Secret Society of Odontology

by Edward Torba

1431,026,386 (1.5)None
An ancient prophecy. A hidden world of magic and monsters.Only Matt and the Secret Society hold the keys to battle the evil and save humanity. Fourteen-year-old Matt Monroe thought he was just an ordinary boy enjoying a fun summer with friends in their small farm town in Pennsylvania. Until one night mysterious red lights appear in the sky and strange creatures begin stalking the woods.Matt discovers, hidden in their dusty barn, an old black dental chest that contains secrets his family has kept locked away until the moment the prophecy begins to unfold. Matt learns his true destiny and that a Secret Society of dentists, including his father, have been preparing over a hundred years for the Chosen One to arrive. Now, on a quest to save the human race, Matt, his older brother, Josh, and five friends are transported to a magical dimension called Paragon. Here, they must face deadly monsters and fight an epic battle against a powerful evil enemy. Journey with Matt Monroe and his friends on an adventure of deception and betrayal, mixed with courage and the bonds of friendship. Will they find the magic stone in time¿?… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Normally, I'm a huge fan of YA fantasy. I'm okay with reliving my (long-lost) teenage years vicariously through fiction. However, in this case, I found the story to be quite meh, and the writing to be stilted and derivative (derivative is fine if the book is well done, but stilted AND derivative is a slog). And, while the kids in the story were likable enough for the most part, none were truly memorable, and the adults were almost universally horrible, even the ones that were supposed to be the good guys. ( )
  ljbryant | Aug 9, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is not a very good book. According to his in-book bio, the author is a dentist who writes as a hobby. He read the Harry Potter series and was inspired to give youth fantasy a try himself.
What he has done is extremely derivative. When you read this book, you can clearly recognize the classic fantasy novel he's thinking of. There's Wizard of Oz, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, and on. The basic premise of this book is pretty standard. A boy, Matt Monroe, discovers that, not only are mysterious forces threatening all of creation, but he is the "Chosen One" to fight for good against evil. He will be aided in his quest by a secret society of dentists (yes dentists)who have trained together for generations to fight in the coming great war against evil forces.
This could be absurdly fun and entertaining, but there is a meanness here. On more than one occasion, Matt's father (a dentist) is verbally abusive Matt's mom and it's presented as normal. Dad is correcting Mom. Matt and his brother treat their mother with disrespect routinely. The only girl in the book is Matt's mouthy, tomboyish friend who is put in her place. Taught to wear a dress, put on makeup and loose those darned glasses. Gotta look good for the boys.
In other words, I definitely would not recommend. ( )
  susanehh | Jul 31, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an interesting story. I never knew that I would be interested in odontology, I didn't even know what odontology was before reading this book, which taught be the definition and a fantastical meaning I enjoyed. It's always good when a book has a few words we don't know, especially if the book is outside your normal reading level, showing that everyone can learn something new every day. I think this book definitely deserved its award as well.
  MadamMagic | Jul 10, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Edward Torba's book Matt Monroe and the Secret Society of Odontology is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,818,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible