Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Working: Researching, Interviewing, Writing…

Working: Researching, Interviewing, Writing (edition 2019)

by Robert A Caro (Author)

Member:tim86
Title:Working: Researching, Interviewing, Writing
Authors:Robert A Caro (Author)
Info:Bodley Head (2019), 240 pages
Tags:memoir

Working by Robert A. Caro

Excellent, one hopes that the final volume of LBJ comes out soon and he turns to a full memoir ( )
  wwj | Jun 14, 2019 |
Fun read for a Caro fan, although repetitive of his New Yorker story. A few good stories about Moses, about his research for the LBJ biographies, thoughts about why he writes, and trivia about how he writes. A few teasing hints about LBJ book #5.

> "I didn't know someone from Princeton could do digging like this," he said. "From now on, you do investigative work." I responded with my usual savoir faire. "But I don't know anything about investigative reporting." Alan looked at me for what I remember as a very long time. "Just remember," he said. "Turn every page. Never assume anything. Turn every goddamned page."

> When I'm waiting for the person I’m interviewing to break a silence by giving me a piece of information I want, I write "SU" (for Shut Up!) in my notebook. If anyone were ever to look through my notebooks, he would find a lot of "SUs" there.

> Sometimes when I come home, Ina takes one look at my face and says, "Boy, I wish you could still drink."

> We live in a democracy, so ultimately, even despite a Robert Moses, a lot of political power comes from our votes. The more we understand about the realities of the political process, the better informed our votes will be. And then, presumably, in some very diffuse, very inchoate way, the better our country will be. ( )
  breic | Jun 2, 2019 |
My previous reading of Robert Caro was limited to a few dips into his biographies of Robert Moses and Lyndon Johnson for undergraduate and graduate papers. And honestly, the sheer size of his volumes always scared me off. And I did not anticipate that I would read Working, especially after listening to Caro describe on a couple of different podcasts and having read one of his articles in the New Yorker. But when I scanned Working it was obvious that there were several things he had not already mentioned, so I broke down and brought the book. It is a delightful account of the behind-the-scenes writing of history and biography. I came away with a deep admiration and subsequently started purchasing those books that once frightened me by their size. After reading Working I am now a Caro FAN!!! ( )
  gregdehler | May 27, 2019 |
Fascinating explanation of Cairo’s exhaustive research and high demands for himself to write in a way which grabs attention. ( )
  maggie1944 | May 22, 2019 |
Fascinating! To see how the master of biography works. In 1974, I was in class as graduate school where the professor was ecstatic about "The Power Broker". I don't remember the professor and certainly nothing of the course, but I well remember one of the most amazing works of biography ever -- followed by the equally great Lyndon Johnson volumes.

Caro is 83 and I'm 70. My fondest hope is that he's alive to finish volume 5 and I'm alive to read it!! ( )
2 vote stevesmits | Apr 13, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,494,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible