How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention…

How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy (edition 2019)

by Jenny Odell (Author)

"A galvanizing critique of the forces vying for our attention--and our personal information--that redefines what we think of as productivity, reconnects us with the environment, and reveals all that we've been too distracted to see about ourselves and our world Nothing is harder to do these days than nothing. But in a world where our value is determined by our 24/7 data productivity. doing nothing may be our most important form of resistance. So argues artist and critic Jenny Odell in this field guide to doing nothing (at least as capitalism defines it). Odell sees our attention as the most precious--and overdrawn--resource we have. Once we can start paying a new kind of attention, she writes, we can undertake bolder forms of political action, reimagine humankind's role in the environment, and arrive at more meaningful understandings of happiness and progress. Far from the simple anti-technology screed, or the back-to-nature meditation we read so often, How to do Nothing is an action plan for thinking outside of capitalist narratives of efficiency and techno-determinism. Provocative, timely, and utterly persuasive, this book is a four-course meal in the age of Soylent"--"When the technologies we use every day collapse our experiences into 24/7 availability, platforms for personal branding, and products to be monetized, nothing can be quite so radical as . . . doing nothing. Here, Jenny Odell sends up a flare from the heart of Silicon Valley, delivering an action plan to resist capitalist narratives of productivity and techno-determinism, and to become more meaningfully connected in the process"--… (more)
Member:jamesshelley
Title:How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
Authors:Jenny Odell (Author)
Info:HighBridge, a division of Recorded Books (2019)

How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy by Jenny Odell

A genre-defiant reflection on how defiant reflection is in an attention economy.
  jamesshelley | Aug 12, 2019 |
The title and cover had me intrigued. So many things take up our attention. Our phones. Social media. The show on the streaming service. Work. Etc. I thought this would be a great self-help book that would talk about how and why we should take the time to "do nothing." And since the author is in the middle of an area where a lot of this was born (or has strong connections to), I thought she might have more interesting insights.

This...wasn't that. This was a lot of "academic-speak" on a topic that didn't really need all of that that also couldn't quite decide what it wanted to be. A thesis? A memoir of her own experiences? Self-help and tips? A history of how we got here? No idea.

It reads like one of those books that somehow got past an editor or the author wouldn't allow major changes, to, etc. Which is a pity because there were bits and pieces that were interesting, if underdeveloped.

Borrowed from the library. Depending on what you're looking for, this might be a skip it. ( )
  acciolibros | Jul 5, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,622,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible