Way of the Wolf (The Vampire Earth, Book 1)…

Way of the Wolf (The Vampire Earth, Book 1) (original 2003; edition 2003)

by E.E. Knight

Member:sidhevicious
Title:Way of the Wolf (The Vampire Earth, Book 1)
Authors:E.E. Knight
Info:Roc (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:TBR, Urban Fantasy, Vampire

Way of the Wolf by E. E. Knight (2003)

Recently added bytyperextreme, Tom_Wright, Pabkins, kevbayer, wickedshizuku, private library, suteko, solozero, karyanca

Liked the world-building in this one, and the take on vampires.

Less thrilled with how most of the female characters who do get some screen time show a rather distressing pattern of all ending up endangered and/or dying horribly as hero motivational fuel. ( )
  Jarandel | Feb 24, 2014 |
Louis L'Amour would be proud. This is the best western I've read in a long time. Please note that the post-apocalyptic, alien, vampire tale enclosed is masquerading as a western, but it is a delightfully satisfying western at its core. ( )
  revslick | Jun 5, 2013 |
The confusing action sequences and mismatched narrative fails what is otherwise an intriguing and interesting story. ( )
  KatKennedy | Mar 28, 2012 |
In the 39th year of the Kurian New Order, Minnesotan David Stuart Valentine was accepted as a Wolf trainee. By the 49th year, he has become a Lieutenant in Southern Command's resistance against the alien Kur invaders. When the inhabitants of the planet Kur learned to open portals leading to various worlds, the opportunity for immortality created a political and societal schism between the vampiric Kurians and the Lifeweavers who reject the draining of sentient life forms. The greatest threat to humans comes from the reapers who drain their victims of blood to nourish themselves while channeling the victim's life force to nourish their Kurian lord. The greatest hope for humanity comes from the Lifeweaver modified humans forming the Wolf, Cat, and Bear clans -- and David Valentine gradually becomes one of the deadliest tools in Southern Command's arsenal. Local author Knight has created a grand space opera in a post-apocalyptic world arising from a largely successful alien invasion of Earth. The Kurians and their human collaborators stand on one side of the conflict against the scarce Lifeweaver rebels aiding those humans surviving in various resistance zones. The vivid world building and action rich military and espionage elements will quickly addict readers to the entire Vampire Earth series. ( )
  ktoonen | Dec 31, 2011 |
The format in which this book is done is interesting. I haven’t come across this until now. For a good part of the novel, you get what looks like short stories of Valentine’s life before the actual plot begins. I understand how some readers thought this wasn’t the most perfect way to introduce the story. However I thought it was not only different but a good way to introduce the main character, and his background, with background information about the setting in this way. You follow Valentine throughout his youth, then you follow him through the period on where he first starts training to become a “Wolf” (a special elite unit). It’s not until a good later part of the book is where the actual plot begins. I liked this kind of introduction. It made getting to know Valentine easier. It gave Valentine a three dimensional form and it chronicles his development in good detail.

The setting is also interesting, however it took me a while to finally get the hang of it (without consulting the glossary at the back). The vampires here are ruthless and evil, so you will definitely not find the romantic stereotype anywhere in this book. There’s a blend of post apocalyptic characteristics, with dark fantasy, and science fiction elements. So really you have a good mixture of just about everything in here. Personally, I like the dark fantasy and post apocalyptic parts. Earth really is a bleak place to be and the descriptions, and characters enhance the setting.

Valentine is all right as a character. He does seem like your most awesome hero and at times it could get a little annoying. I wish he could have a bit of a darker edge to him (ie: he could be a jerk once in a while) but he seems to be your average good guy with a troubled past. I suppose that’s not too bad although it could be considered cliche and overdone by other readers.

What I did enjoy most about the novel is the overall plot. The pace was good although certain areas did experience a bit of a bump here and there. However all I will ask is for the author to not do any more romantic scenes and I’m shuddering to think if there will be more romance in the other books to follow. I read a particular romance moment and I just about nearly choked. Really? a man would do what Valentine did?? that’s just gross! after having a fit for about a few minutes I resumed with the story (Apologies for not being specific. It is detailed and explicit so I won’t go further than that). After finishing the book I still found that particular passage to be still unnerving. That’s the only part that I strongly dislike in the book. Seriously, just take the romance out of this. It wasn’t necessary and the plot was fine without it!

This was a nice interesting start to what looks like an action packed series. I’m definitely going to follow this series for sure. If you like dark fantasy with sci fi elements in a post apocalyptic world try this. Plus, the vampires aren’t sparkling. You might just like it! ( )
  sensitivemuse | Aug 2, 2011 |
Have you ever dealt with people who have lost everything in just an hour? In the morning you leave the house where your wife, your children, your parents live. You return and you find a smoking pit. Then something happens to you -- to a certain extent you stop being human. You do not need any glory, money anymore; revenge becomes your only joy. And because you no longer cling to life, death avoids you, the bullets fly pasat, You become a wolf.
--Russian General Aleksander Lebed, veteran of Afghanistan
To Mom and Dad, who believed
Northern Louisiana, March, the forty-third year of the Kurian Order: The green expanse once known as the Kisatchie Forest slowly digests the works of man.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451459393, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:34 -0400)

Louisiana, 2065. A lot has changed in the 43rd year of the Kurian Order. Possessed of an unnatural hunger, the bloodthirsty Reapers have come to Earth to establish a New Order built on the harvesting of human souls. They rule the planet. And if it is night, as sure as darkness, they will come. But on this pitiless world, the indomitable spirit of man still breathes in Lieutenant David Valentine. And his mission is to win back Earth...… (more)

E. E. Knight is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,503,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible