Bloody Jack by L. A. Meyer

Bloody Jack (2002)

by L. A. Meyer

Series: Bloody Jack Adventures (1)

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about an adventurous and headstrong girl disguising herself as a boy for a chance to join the military. Jacky is trying to make a living for herself and escape poverty during the Napoleonic Wars and joins the Navy as a ship's boy in Bloody Jack. Deryn Sharp wants nothing more than to join the Royal Air Corps in Leviathan - a steampunk alternate history of WWI. Both books are packed full of adventure and spunky protagonists.… (more)
    The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (Caramellunacy, la_librarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both of these adventure stories are about a strong girl proving her worth on board a sailing ship. Charlotte shows the crew her mettle despite the fact that she's a girl, and Jacky disguises herself as a boy to escape detection. Both are great stories for those who love nautical stories.… (more)
    Foundling by D. M. Cornish (clif_hiker)
    The Diamond of Drury Lane by Julia Golding (foggidawn)
    The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates #1: Magic Marks the Spot by Caroline Carlson (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: YA books about girls who want to be pirates.
    Dodger by Terry Pratchett (foggidawn)
    The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart (SheReads)
    SheReads: The strong female characters navigating a boy's world.
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (bethielouwho)
    Nim's Island by Wendy Orr (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Also, Star Crossed by Linda Collison (not in the system yet).
    Women Sailors and Sailors' Women: An Untold Maritime History by David Cordingly (nocowardsoul)
    nocowardsoul: An excellent account of real female sailors and pirates

This is exactly the book I wanted to exist when I was younger. I grew up reading Tamora Pierce and watching Horatio Hornblower, This book is a wonderful meeting of a girl doing what a boy should and the British navy. I was well entertained and the book was over to soon. ( )
  Shadowling | Jun 6, 2016 |
The "pirate accent" of the audio narrator was initially grating, but as I began to inure it, I came to enjoy the adventure, but lost interest again towards the end. ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 9, 2016 |
It's a YA novel, but it's also great fun. It's one of those books where I'm like, "There should be more of these." (And there are! It's a whole series!) None of the elements are terribly new or original (or realistic), but it's all put together well and has just what (well, I) like to read!
A young girl, Mary Faber, is orphaned on the streets of 18th-century London. She joins a gang of kids and learns begging and even some thieving, but when a ghoulish thug who sells the bodies of dead street kids to medical schools kills the leader of her gang, she realizes it's time to leave. Disguising herself as a boy and calling herself Jack, she gets taken on as a cabin boy on a ship bound to hunt down pirates.
Much nautical adventure ensues... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Narrated by Katherine Kellgren. Jacky Faber is an orphaned girl scrapping out survival in London with a gang of street kids. She gets a job as a ship's boy on the HMS Dolphin (disguised of course). She loves life on the seas, the regular meals, hard work and knocking about with her fellow ship boys, not to mention the occasional run-ins with pirates. She doesn't figure on falling for Jamie, one of the other ship boys. Kellgren narrates this story with all the lusty bravado demanded by the sailing life, and is very adept with British and Irish accents. Her Jacky is sturdy, unflagging, and fierce, but still keeps her head as Jamie captures her heart. This would be a great adventure story for families to share except for the descriptions of Jacky's sexual awakening and the boys cracking jokes about prostitutes, pederasty and body parts. Best suited for teens with a love of adventure stories. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I read the majority of this while waiting for my car at the dealership. It starts with Mary first having to leave her home b/c of the death of her family due to plague. She joins a group of orphans in a similar situation, until things go wrong. This takes up a chunk of the book and while I was impatient and wanted to get to the boat part, I do have to admit that it was very interesting. It was detailed and I liked the relationship between the children. I also felt like it gave a good basis for understanding Mary's decision to go pretend to be a boy on a ship. You see how hard the other options are and have a better understanding of why this really is the best choice.

Then Mary goes on to join the ships boys and the detail of how their days ran and how she's feel is just incredible. There is a lot of humor, sadness and honor in this book and that made me happy too. The variety of experiences and emotions make it a good adventure story that is more then one note. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

L. A. Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As always, for Annetje
My name is Jacky Faber and in London I was born, but, no, I wasn't born with that name.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015205085X, Paperback)

Life as a ship's boy aboard HMS Dolphin is a dream come true for Jacky Faber. Gone are the days of scavenging for food and fighting for survival on the streets of eighteenth-century London. Instead, Jacky is becoming a skilled and respected sailor as the crew pursues pirates on the high seas.
There's only one problem: Jacky is a girl. And she will have to use every bit of her spirit, wit, and courage to keep the crew from discovering her secret. This could be the adventure of her life--if only she doesn't get caught. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:45 -0400)

Reduced to begging and thievery in the streets of London, a thirteen-year-old orphan disguises herself as a boy and connives her way onto a British warship set for high sea adventure in search of pirates.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,373,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible