Bloody Genius (A Virgil Flowers Novel) by…

Bloody Genius (A Virgil Flowers Novel) (edition 2019)

by John Sandford (Author)

"Virgil Flowers will have to watch his back--and his mouth--as he investigates a college culture war turned deadly in another one of Sandford's "madly entertaining Virgil Flowers mysteries" (New York Times Book Review)"--
Member:PhonyGal
Title:Bloody Genius (A Virgil Flowers Novel)
Authors:John Sandford (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2019), 384 pages
Tags:Read in 2019

Bloody Genius by John Sandford

Virgil Flowers is one of my favorite characters, and this series is my go-to when I need a humorous diversion with a good mystery at its heart.

If you've yet to meet Virgil, he's a brilliant investigator whose intelligence is often underestimated by both criminals and cops. He's a nonconformist, who refuses to dress as expected for a detective. He says what's on his mind and has a quick wit.

We follow Virgil as he interviews suspects, works alongside local cops, and unravels the tangled mess to catch the killer. The plot borders on overly complex, which is the first time I've seen this happen in a Virgil Flowers novel. We have a whole lot of characters and moving parts, so keeping all the names and relationships straight can be a little daunting. Still, Sandford does a great job of keeping us oriented, and Virgil is always entertaining.

This is the 12th book in the series, but each of them can be read as stand-alone novels.

*I received a review copy from the publisher, via NetGalley.* ( )
  Darcia | Oct 14, 2019 |
First, there are no clues and then there are clues galore, let the game begin. Virgil finds that no good deed, especially for an incipient governor, goes unpunished. His fishing is interrupted when he is called into the Cities to resolve the murder of an eminent scientist in a university library. Patiently, for Virgil, he teams up with a city detective to suss out which among the many suspects committed the various crimes identified. This remains an enjoyable series by this excellent author, ( )
  jamespurcell | Oct 11, 2019 |
Another fantastic book by Sandford! How does he keep putting out these incredible page-turners?
This one is another story in the Virgil Flower's timeline. A murder in the library of the University of Minnesota. An initial dearth of suspects, giving way to the Sandford technique of finding lots of suspects. Which Flowers has to weed through, one by one. And in the end, managing to surprise the reader with the identity of the killer.
I've come to love these books. Not for any amazing detective stories, but just for the familiarity of the structure of his books. You always know that there's going to be some crazy crime, and there's going to be lots of twists and turns, and his hero (Davenport or Flowers) is going to make you laugh out loud, and that the ending is unforeseeable yet satisfying ending! ( )
  1Randal | Oct 8, 2019 |
Virgil Flowers restores my Sandford confidence
Review of the Audible Audio edition (2019)

This Virgil Flowers investigation restored my respect for Sandford's writing after the disturbing Neon Prey from earlier this year. Flowers takes his usual low-key interview approach and seems to casually move through the witnesses while amassing the details he needs. There are a few crossovers with Lucas Davenport but not much of the trademark Sandford cop/friend banter. The best banter is actually with a barfly whom Flowers regularly meets during the case. They share a mutual love for Robert Service's The Cremation of Sam McGee which gets a few initial recitations.

The narration by Virgil Flowers veteran narrator Eric Conger was excellent at always. ( )
  alanteder | Oct 6, 2019 |
I must say my most favorite Virgile Flowers novel to date. Clever plot with a clever twist. Professor Barth Quill is murdered in the Library after midnight with the edge of his laptop computer. Who's is to blame and why? Fun, fast read. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Oct 6, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,843,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible