Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod by…

Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Bastian Sick, Bastian Sick (Author)

Member:timoheuer
Title:Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod
Authors:Bastian Sick
Other authors:Bastian Sick (Author)
Info:Kiepenheuer & Witsch (2006), Edition: 29, Taschenbuch, 256 pages
Tags:deutsch, deutsche sprache

Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod by Bastian Sick (2004)

English (3)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (5)
nervt manchmal mit speziellem Humor; für korrektes Schriftdeutsch brauchbar, bei Umgangssprache und lokalem Sprachgebrauch (rheinische Verlaufsform) zu Übereifer neigend ( )
1 vote moricsala | Dec 5, 2006 |
This book is a compilation of the author's "Zwiebelfisch" columns which appeared in the German magazine _Spiegel_. The continuing column may be read at http://www.spiegel.de/zwiebelfisch .

As a native speaker of English who has lived in Germany at various times and enjoys learning the ins and outs of the German language, the book is both a valuable resource and a little shot of Schadenfreude when I see that even native speakers of German struggle with some of the same things I do. The most disturbing recurring theme that appears in many of the specific language confusions discussed is the growing influence of English vocabulary, usage and orthography on German, by way of ads, pop culture and even the news media. I don't remember whether it was in this book or its sequel that I read Bastian Sick's offhand remark that "most German journalism today consists of translation from English," but I found it both scary and probably true. ( )
2 vote brekhus | Jun 17, 2006 |
A very good and funny book for everybody learning German, native German speakers and us Swiss who always have difficulties with High German. Pretty much everything in this book helped me or showed me mistakes I'd been making for years when talking or writing in German. It's mostly things that are also different from Swiss German and therefore the hardest for us. I recommend this to everybody with an interest in the German language and its quirks. ( )
3 vote Thalia | Mar 31, 2006 |

Bastian Sickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thoben, BarbaraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,499,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible