Nemesis by Bill Napier

Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Vassmer Paper Media
Tags:MYS

Nemesis by Bill Napier

English (3)  German (1)  All languages (4)
I don't usually read thrillers, but this one really held my interest. The real question this book poses is: Who and what can we trust? What do we know - or do we just think we know it?

I did not find the technical jargon off-putting. Maybe I read more science than the other reviewers, maybe I am better at reading past things I don't understand if they are not necessary to the plot. In hindsight I think that the technical language is supposed to be somewhat overpowering. What I did find troubling was the feeling from early on that details weren't quite right. Again, I think now that this was deliberate.

There is a lot more going on in this book than I expected when I started it. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Aug 19, 2011 |
This was a new author for me. I found the book hard to get into what with all of the technical jargon. Even with the plot twist at the end, I don't think I will read any more books by this author. ( )
  TomWheaton | Aug 13, 2011 |
I generally give books 100 pages before I decide to finish them. “Nemesis,” kept my attention on and off, but there were many times where I’d see how many pages I had to go before finishing, wishing I’d decided to put it down earlier. It’s not a bad book, but could have been shorter and much less convoluted.

Clearly its author, Bill Napier is a smart guy. And while it’s OK to have technical dialogue, mathematic formulas, etc., he really pushes the limit. He needs to read Crichton to get an understanding of the balance between too much techno-jargon and layman’s terms. Crichton always seemed to include a character that didn’t understand the technical goings on, so it would be explained so the rest of us would understand too. Napier goes for a too realistic scene where little is explained…until later…maybe.

This team of scientists are basically trying to identify an asteroid they believe has been forced off course by Russians into hitting America. The President has given them a deadline to identify the asteroid and come up with a plan to divert it from hitting Earth. Along the way, many of these individuals seem to be in no real hurry to find the answers. And Napier has this annoying habit of dropping you into a scene with no preamble. So it takes several pages before you realize where/when you are and what’s going on.

I think the core idea of this book, in the hands of someone like Crichton (well, he’s of course dead, but you know what I mean) would have been much better.

But then, that’s what you get when you buy a book for $1.25 at Dollar General… ( )
  Jarratt | Oct 21, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031293680X, Mass Market Paperback)

THE CODE BURIED IN A CENTURIES-OLD MANUSCRIPT…
From a remote Scottish mountain, Dr. Oliver Webb--one of the world's great physicists--is whisked away by a military helicopter and routed to the Mexican border. Along with the leading men of physics and one sexy atom smasher, Webb is given an impossible task: identify the asteroid--codename Nemesis--that is on course to collide with and destroy America. They have five days to stop it. If they can't, the President will retaliate first by ordering the U.S. military to pull the nuclear trigger...

IS THE ONLY SALVATION…
But when one of Webb's colleagues is found dead, he has every reason to suspect that there is more to Nemesis than he knows. Then, he makes a staggering discovery: That the secret to saving the world is hidden in a 17th Latin century manuscript that has gone mysteriously missing.

FOR THE SURVIVAL OF THE U.S.
An electrifying race against time, NEMESIS spans centuries and the globe in a white hot journey through physics, history, and geopolitics--and mankind's ultimate duel with the unknown.

"Incredible…extraordinary…a really terrific novel!"
--Jeff Long, New York Times bestselling author of The Descent on Splintered Icon

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:40 -0400)

CIA evidence confirms Russian cosmonauts have deflected an asteroid on to a collision course with America. 'Nemesis' tells how astronomers have five days to identify the asteroid of the same name. British asteroid expert, Oliver Webb discovers that its course was once predicted in an obscure 17th century manuscript, the only copy of which has mysteriously dissappeared.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,108,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible