Fleishman Is in Trouble: A Novel by Taffy…

Fleishman Is in Trouble: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Taffy Brodesser-Akner (Author)

"Dr. Toby Fleishman wakes up each morning surrounded by women. Women who are self-actualized and independent and know what they want--and, against all odds, what they want is Toby. Who knew what kind of life awaited him once he finally extracted himself from his nightmare of a marriage? Who knew that there were women out there who would actually look at him with softness and desire? But just as the winds of his optimism are beginning to pick up, they're quickly dampened, and then extinguished, when his ex-wife, Rachel, suddenly disappears. Toby thought he knew what to expect when he moved out: weekends and every other holiday with the kids, some residual bitterness, tense co-parenting negotiations. He never thought that one day Rachel would just drop their children off at his place and never come back. As Toby tries to figure out what happened and what it means, all while juggling his patients at the hospital, his never-ending parental duties, and his new, app-assisted sexual popularity, his tidy narrative of a spurned husband is his sole consolation. But if Toby ever wants to really understand where Rachel went and what really happened to his marriage, he is going to have to consider that he might not have seen it all that clearly in the first place. A searing, funny, and electric debut from one of the most exciting writers working today, Fleishman Is In Trouble is an exploration of a culture trying to navigate the fault lines of an institution that has proven to be worthy of both our great wariness and our great optimism"--… (more)
Member:WiscassetPL
Title:Fleishman Is in Trouble: A Novel
Authors:Taffy Brodesser-Akner (Author)
Info:Random House (2019), 384 pages
Collections:Adult and YA

Fleishman Is in Trouble: A Novel by Taffy Brodesser-Akner

Recently added bycoolmama, petergw, IDWTED, ctreader73, private library, Lirmac, deborahk, dionnedock, WiscassetPL, dagg

I'm not sure what the fuss is about this book. I don't get it. I've read some reviews and I know the direction it's heading but I really can't be bothered to keep reading it until I get to the 'reveal'. It's just a chore and there appears to be no story. ( )
  Fluffyblue | Sep 15, 2019 |
This starts as a modern Roth/Updike middle-age shagathon then twists into something else entirely. It isn’t really a book about the Fleishmans - like Jaws not being about sharks - but by the end, as the focus swung elsewhere, I wished it was. Still a lot of fun though. ( )
1 vote alexrichman | Sep 12, 2019 |
Did not like it
  chasidar | Aug 31, 2019 |
This novel starts off like a social comedy for current day readers, but deepens into a complex examination of how marriage works. In doing so, it does some good things. It has lots of funny bits, mostly involving the mores of the New York upper class, which are largely involved in insanely conspicuous consumption. The structure in interesting and full of surprises; it keeps you reading. But there are also negatives. The book spends too much time on what it's good at -- cataloguing the markers of the 1% -- and could have been a good bit shorter. Also, though a few of the characters are vividly drawn, I found it difficult to get emotionally involved with them, perhaps because they are so emotionally involved with themselves. Finally, it is -- despite the humor -- a rather grim read. Everyone seem to be basically unhappy, dissatisfied at the least, near-suicidal at the most. An interesting novel, but not the sparkly comedy that some of the reviews seem to suggest. ( )
  annbury | Aug 28, 2019 |
A nicely done pivot from showing the marriage problems from the husband's perspective to the wife's perspective. A very fun, engaging read. ( )
  ghefferon | Aug 27, 2019 |
Many of its 373-pages seemed like padding, much of which consists of… sex.
Or sexting.
Or thinking about sex.
Or thinking about sexting.
added by MarthaJeanne | editBBC, Will Gompertz (Jul 27, 2019)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,169,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible