Dark at the Roots: A Memoir by Sarah Thyre

Dark at the Roots: A Memoir

by Sarah Thyre

156None76,051 (3.53)4

This book was nothing special, in my humble opinion. Thyre's life was just as eccentric (maybe even less so) as her genre-equivalents -- except she isn't that great of a story teller.

Of course, there were funny moments and relatable moments but I wasn't as interested in this book as I usually am. Maybe I'm just getting burned out on stories of now-middle-aged women from quirky, eccentric, poor, religious, semi-abusive homes.

The book is blurbed all by people she knows personally, so I take their opinions with a grain of salt. After all, we all think our friends are hilarious (or would have hurt feelings if we told them otherwise).

The most interesting thing I learned about Sarah Thyre is that she's been married to Andy Richter for over 17 years. And, I learned that via a late night google session, not from the book.

Mildly interesting read, at best. If you're looking for books of this type, I have many recommendations of better ones. ( )
  tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |
Delightfully humorous! ( )
  lisa1121mass | Jan 24, 2011 |
Sarah Thyre is officially one of my favorite people. The book was at times laugh out loud funny, and often so much so that you can't believe it is real. How refreshing to read a memoir about growing up that I can actually relate to...something decidely "imperfect" but not so much so that it turns you into a serial killer or a hermit. Awesome, awesome, awesome. ( )
  eenerd | Jun 10, 2008 |
I had to put it down after 88 pages....just could not get into this memoir. I expected it to be a funny Glass Castle...disappointing. ( )
  bettyjo | Apr 27, 2008 |
Funny life story told from a survivors point of view.
  ivyivy | Mar 24, 2008 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible