Daniel's Story by Carol Matas

Daniel's Story (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Carol Matas

Member:Nikki6t6
Title:Daniel's Story
Authors:Carol Matas
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1993), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 144 pages

Daniel's Story by Carol Matas (1993)

The story to this book is just amazing. Daniel tells his story about what him and his family (extended family as well) went through during WWII and Hitler. I would want my students to read this book so they can read what it actually was like and it being told from a child's point is something that they would be able to understand. They may have some of the same thoughts or questions that Daniel might answer in his book. It's a great for students and they can learn a lot about what families had to go through during this tough and torturous time.
  khanai | Dec 9, 2013 |
The narrator, Daniel, both a German and a Jew, is but six years of age when his family's story begins, and he is a very weary eighteen when it concludes. Through Daniel's eyes, readers experience the rising antiSemitism in Germany, a growing hatred which culminates in the Nazis' establishment and gruesome use of the death camps.
  ginamaria14 | Dec 9, 2013 |
The book I read was Daniel’s Story by Carol Matas. I wasn’t sure exactly I was getting into when I started the book but as the book continued Matas talked about all the horrible things that happened to the Jewish people during WWII. The story was about Daniel, his mother, father and sister. The story also talked about all of his aunts, uncles and cousins. Poor Daniel and his family endured such torturous events throughout their lives. Daniel was young when Hitler started to take over and he didn’t understand what was happening and he kept telling himself it was going to get better, but as they moved the Jews from one place to another the events that happened just continued to get worse. At first only one of Daniel’s family members was taken away, by the end of the book the only family left was Daniel, his father and one of his cousins. Daniel had to watch his family starve to death, be shipped away to be killed, or killed right in front of him. I know as a mother I wouldn’t be able to watch my children be taken away to what everyone knew would be their death. I think the hardest part of this book was to see how the children were treated. I don’t think anyone should be treated that way but children are so helpless and they don’t know what’s going on. At one point in the book Daniel described going to the hospital and witnessing the German soldiers throwing babies out of the hospital windows. I can’t help but cringe at that thought. This book had me tearing up at parts and giggling at others. I think this whole topic would be sketchy to talk about to children, but I think there were definitely parts of this book that could be shared. I know a lot of the detailed parts shouldn’t be shared with
young kids, so maybe an older level student could appreciate this book in its entirety.
  kplowman2 | Dec 9, 2013 |
It is about the Nazis and the Holocaust during WWII in Germany. ( )
  ntaha | Jun 18, 2013 |
  cavlibrary | Jul 25, 2012 |
This book is dedicated to children everywhere in the hope that they will live in a world of peace and love, and to the memory of the children who found neither.
LJCRS Book Fair Selection 5759
What has happened to me?

Although Daniel is a fictitious character, his story was inspired by the real experiences of many of the more than one million children who died in the Holocaust. Daniel, supported by his courageous family, struggles for survival. He finds hope, life, and even love in the midst of despair.

Daniel, whose family suffers as the Nazis rise to power in Germany, describes his imprisonment in a concentration camp and his eventual liberation.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible