The Other Half of Asperger Syndrome: A Guide…

The Other Half of Asperger Syndrome: A Guide to Living in an Intimate… (edition 2001)

by Maxine Aston

Member:NancyK.Peardon
Title:The Other Half of Asperger Syndrome: A Guide to Living in an Intimate Relationship with a Partner Who Has Asperger Syndrome
Authors:Maxine Aston
Info:National Autistic Society (2001), Paperback, 84 pages

The Other Half of Asperger Syndrome: A guide to an Intimate Relationship with a Partner who has Asperger Syndrome by Maxine C. Aston

A guide to living in an intimate relationship with a partner who has Asperger Syndrome. Written from personal experience and as a result of academic study and work as a counsellor. Looks at the background to an adult with Asperger syndrome and discusses strategies for dealing with everyday situations which occur in a relationship.
  ThePinesLibrary | Apr 14, 2014 |
These days, books on Asperger's Syndrome are coming out very rapidly, and the pace of research means that the newer books usually have much more to offer than the old. And most of them are directed to the Asperger's sufferers themselves.

So why would an Asperger's sufferer want to recommend a thin little book, more than a decade old, aimed at spouses rather than "Aspies?" Because it has a lot of good answers, that's why.

Although written for the spouses of Asperger's sufferers, there is a lot that the sufferers themselves can learn -- as Robert Burns said, it lets us "see oursels as others see us." In particular, it gave me insight into the way "Aspies" respond to the anger of others -- a behavior which often provokes fearful, irrational responses. Had I known this even a year earlier, it would have saved me a great deal of grief.

So get the books on brain function, and the books on employment, and the books on strategies -- and get this book to try to understand the way to help others help you. ( )
  waltzmn | Aug 1, 2012 |
For Kevin, Zoe, Zara and William
(Dedication to the second edition:)
For all who have a partner who has
Asperger syndrome (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
PREFACE
This book has been written as a guide to Asperger syndrome for anyone who has a partner with this disorder.
FOREWORD
We tend to have an image of adults with Asperger syndrome as solitary and eccentric characters, who actively avoid having an intimate relationship or desperately seek a partner, but with no success....
Dr. Tony Attwood March 2001
FOREWORD to the second edition
In my clinical practice, I see many couples for advice on their relationship.
PREFACE to the second edition
This book has been written as a guide to Asperger syndrome (Autism Spectrum Disorder) for anyone who has a partner with this condition, regardless of whether they are male, female, lesbian, gay or transgendered.

Does your other half have Asperger Syndrome or do you suspect that he or she is on the autism spectrum? This title explains Asperger Syndrome, discusses whether or not seeking an autism diagnosis will help, and offers simple strategies for coping with a range of relationship challenges including communication, social, and intimacy difficulties.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,222,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible