The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

The Titan's Curse

by Rick Riordan

English (301)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  Creek (1)  German (1)  All languages (307)
I've had my eye on you for awhile Percy Jackson, whenever a series of books, especially in young adult, becomes a phenomenon I make a note to try and read it at some point.

And there is a lot about the Percy Jackson series to like: the adventure, the jokes, the wish-fulfillment aspect of having a secret mom or dad who was actually one of the Greek gods making you a half-blood and eligible for training at, wait for it, Camp Half-Blood. Hogwarts it ain't, but I'll get to that later.

The premise here is that the Greek gods go whereever the heart of Western Civilization is, from Greece to Rome to France to Britain, a German state at some pre-Kaiser Wilhelm period and finally to the United States. The gods are still the gods, but the way they operate has been modernized to good effect. With the gods, of course, come the monsters of legend.

Riordan gets around the hurdle of all the fun mythological monsters being already dead by having them respawn at uneven increments. Vanquish the Minotaur and he might be gone for a lifetime or two weeks, for example.

My main problem with these books was not necessarily the sanitation of Greek mythology, some of the gory bits are left in, but we're supposed to think that these half-bloods were born because the gods and goddesses loved those mortals very, very much? I'm pretty sure I could count on one hand the number of god-human couplings that weren't forced, terrible things that left the mortal cursed or dead or a tree. Occasionally, like Ganymede, you could look forward to serving your rapist and kidnapper his food for eternity.

But I'm forgetting that these books are for the children. Which leads me to my next point, Riordan doesn't trust kids to remember anything. There is a need in a series to sum up certain relevent points in each book, but I'm pretty sure a kid is going to remember that Chiron is a centaur or that Percy Jackson is, I don't know, the son of Poseidon. There are only slim reasons to compare these to Harry Potter: pre-adolescent children discover they have powers, go to place to learn about them. There's a prophecy. That's it. But, as I was leading into with the Percy Jackson, who by the way has a father who is the ancient sea god, bit is that Riordan writes a lot of guff about a prophecy and doesn't deliver, he uses almost no foreshadowing at all, bits from one book to another are dropped or added. At one point a camper is killed on a mission and Percy feels sad about it, and I suppose the reader is to but why? Before ten pages before the character bit it there were no conversations with him, he was barely a name in their dining hall.

I must, however, acknowledge that Riordan understands that kids only need to talk in terms of "awesome" or "cool" and don't need to expand their vocabulary at all. Also that math and reading are hard. I'm sure as a teacher Riordan realizes kids will just pick up appreciation for those things elsewhere. Right. Really it just comes off as patronizing. He tops it off with the notion that ambrosia and nectar, the food of the gods that tastes like your favorite flavors, always tastes like cookies or fresh baked brownies to Percy. That just sounds refreshing, mmmm liquid cookie/brownies. All the time.

There's a suspician I have, and I had this even before I noticed it was a Disney publisher who put these books out, that Riordan uses a ghost writer simply because of how phoned in a lot of the 'meat' of the books are. He also has a lot of series running concurrently now that the original Percy Jackson is finished, R.L. Stine has some competition it seems like.

But, here I am rattling on and on about how simplistic and patronizing a series of books written for 11 and 12 years olds is. I know I would have liked these books, not as much as Redwall maybe (speaking of formulaic children's writing), but that's because I genuinely feel that Riordan didn't give Camp Half-Blood enough weight to become a place in a reader's head, which is the main thing if you want wish-fulfillment.

At times he really fulfilled the promise of a modernized greek mythology, Procruste's as a mattress salesman, Medusa shilling lawn ornaments, once when he hinted at the darker aspects of Dionysus' powers...also a rare appreciation of the much-forgotten Hestia. The books have a raving fan-base, the movie did pretty well, there just wasn't any spark to these books that made my reading Percy & pals tromping from one adventure to another anything but passing time. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |
In this installment, we meet the redeemable group of men-hating crazy women, Artemis's hunters. I remember hating these girls like crazy when I was younger (and I still think Bianca's a little jerk, but whatever) but found them a lot more reasonable this time around. Also, this one actually made me shed a tear, which is crazy because I never cried in this one before; I only ever cried in The Last Olympian in Luke's backstory scenes (I sob like a baby in those scenes).

Also, I just have to

Rachel: The heck?
Percy: You can see me?
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
This series is, and always will be, one of the best YA reads of all time. This also holds true for each individual installment, all of which are brilliant. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Nov 19, 2018 |
Meh. On to bigger and better things. I promised I would read this "odd" book (for lack of a better word from what they told me) called The Shack, then on to Mistborn (Brandon Sanderson) and Stormfront (Jim Butcher, The Dresden Files). My kind of reading. Nothing wrong with The Titan's Curse, just like the rest of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books, I can't get into them! ( )
  emeraldgirl68 | Sep 30, 2018 |
So it's funny, but it's also very exciting, with the gods behaving in that disgraceful and unpredictable way that gods do. Then there are the really bad guys. If you're familiar with these ancient characters, you'll be impressed by how Riordan handles them. If they're new to you, it's a gripping introduction.

Readers who are familiar with ancient mythology will enjoy Riordan's tongue-in-cheek approach; those who aren't just might be tempted to go to the original sources to learn more.

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Topher Bradfield

A camper who has made a world of difference
The Friday before winter break, my mom packed me an overnight bag and a few deadly weapons and took me to a new boarding school.
This LT work is the third volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

This is the third book in the most exciting commercial fantasy adventure series since "Artemis Fowl". Now in paperback with a thrilling new cover look. It's the last Friday before the winter holidays but Percy Jackson isn't at school: he's battling the fearsome Manticore (half human, half lion), which in itself isn't ideal...but with Annabeth missing and the goddess of the hunt held captive, things get a whole lot more serious...Greek mythology relocated to modern-day America. Action-packed, funny, accessible writing for both boys and girls aged 10 and above. This title is perfect for fans of "Harry Potter" and "Artemis Fowl".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

When the goddess Artemis disappears while hunting a rare, ancient monster, a group of her followers joins Percy and his friends in an attempt to find and rescue her before the winter solstice, when her influence is needed to sway the Olympian Council regarding the war with the Titans.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,435,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible