The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and…

The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Rick Riordan

Member:HGideon
Title:The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 3)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2008), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:Youth Lit.

The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

English (236)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Creek (1)  French (1)  All languages (239)
(4.3)
  mshampson | Nov 13, 2014 |
For more reviews, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Considering that I started this one yesterday in the evening, I’m so grateful that the Percy Jackson books are such pageturners or else I wouldn’t have finished this review for today. Now that I’m thinking on it, I was definitely flipping pages in The Titan’s Curse faster than ever before. This series is really starting to pick up speed for me. I flew through it at pegasus speed. Or something like that. Anyway, with The Titan’s Curse, I definitely feel like the stakes are starting to get much more intense, just like I’d hoped.

The tone of this series subtly shifts a bit more to the dark side in The Titan’s Curse. The comic relief’s still there of course, but everything’s a bit more dangerous and the comedic elements might be slightly more spaced out. There’s also more of an overarching plot to this one than in previous installments, which had breaks for games and little adventures. Now, it’s pretty much all about advancing the larger plot of the impending war against the titans and the prophecy that might be about Percy.

The Titan’s Curse comes with yet another prophecy delivered by the Oracle. In this one, the reader learns that one of the five selected for this quest will die, killed at the hand of their father, and that one will be lost. Umm, hello tension. If you want me to be invested emotionally in the outcome, letting me know that someone will most definitely be dying by the end of the book is a good way to do that. Plus, Annabeth is in jeopardy, which is not cool bro. In the previous installments, I felt like everyone was safe, but now I was really questioning which member of the questing team would bite the dust, thus the intense reading speed.

As with The Sea of Monsters, there continues to be great character development. In the previous one, Percy discovered new depths to Clarisse, who is sadly lacking form The Titan’s Curse. However, he does get to meet some new characters. Plus, he’s able to forge a new understanding of Dionysus, which I think was sorely needed and all the more touching for how much of a dick Mr. D was throughout the series. It’s not like anyone really becomes someone different and changes intrinsically, but they’ll let a little of their better side shine through and I really love that. It’s not like Percy will suddenly be best friends with someone he misunderstood but they learn to respect one another and form alliances. It’s cool. Oh, also super curious to see what becomes of Thalia, because she could basically do anything at this point. Oh oh, also also very glad to see Grover getting to really do some stuff and be less of a silly sidekick.

There’s a whole bunch of new characters introduced, and they’re pretty much all winners. Obviously, my heart was immediately charmed by Bessie, the sea cow monster thing, and Blackjack, the pegasus shown on the cover. How much do I love that the pegasi talk like they’re from New York? So much, and I don’t even know why. I wasn’t so sure initially how I felt about the new heroes, Bianca and Nico, but by the end both won me over. They will do such interesting things. Then there’s Zoë, a Hunter, who’s kind of a bitch, but also awesome. The way that Riordan ties all the plot threads together by the end was little short of masterful.

Finally, I do think I see the ship starting to like trim sails or whatever nautical jargon means getting ready to leave the dock. Like, there’s the school dance at the beginning and it’s like they’re still a bit too young for romantical feelings, but things do seem to be changing. The fact that Aphrodite is watching Percy and Annabeth like her own personal reality TV station is basically my new favorite thing. I expect major cuteness, please. Pretty much the only issue I had with this book was that there was not enough Annabeth.

Basically, I am ready for the next book, but unfortunately the ebook has not been made available to me by my library, and I can’t read the copy I bought because traveling. Much sad. There better be shipping and death and pegasi. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Nov 8, 2014 |
I just want to start off by saying that this is one of my favorite books in the PJO series.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I LOVE PERCY JACKSON!!! He sill is my favorite PJO character ever. One thing that I think is awesome in this book is that we get more Percabeth foreshadowing. Did any one else like the part when Percy was talking to Aphrodite, the goddess of love, and it seems to me that she ships Percabeth.

I love Grover. How can you not love Grover? Thalia is easily one of my favorite PJO characters. She's an awesome character. I didn't like that she blamed Percy for Annabeth falling of a cliff. It's wasn't Percy's fault! He was just doing what he had to do! Other then that Thalia is awesome.

I LOVE Nico di Angelo!!! Bianca di Angelo was also an awesome character.

I honestly did not like Zoe Nightshade, then after a while I started to like her more then I originally did.

Annabeth was still very awesome even though she didn't do much cause she was kidnapped.

I love the part in the first chapter when Percy and Annabeth are dancing, and when Nico was asking Percy a lot of different questions, and when they made the dam jokes. A lot good stuff in this book. I love it. ( )
  barbiekait | Oct 16, 2014 |
So much action in this, especially since it takes place in New York and the two mesh to form a great book. ( )
  TeresaCruz | Oct 11, 2014 |
When Percy, Annabeth and Thalia go to a school to help two siblings who are half-bloods, they get into a fight and Annabeth is presumed dead (though Percy believes otherwise). During the fight, Artemis and the Hunters showed up to help, but Artemis ends up missing, as well. Some of the Hunters must team up with some of the Campers to help save both Annabeth and Artemis.

I really liked this one, and since I was less excited about book 2, which I listened to on audio, I think I'll stick with print (or ebook) for the rest of the series. More characters/gods were introduced in this one, and there was plenty of humour, as well. It was quick to read and a lot of fun, I thought! ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 10, 2014 |
So it's funny, but it's also very exciting, with the gods behaving in that disgraceful and unpredictable way that gods do. Then there are the really bad guys. If you're familiar with these ancient characters, you'll be impressed by how Riordan handles them. If they're new to you, it's a gripping introduction.

Readers who are familiar with ancient mythology will enjoy Riordan's tongue-in-cheek approach; those who aren't just might be tempted to go to the original sources to learn more.

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Topher Bradfield

A camper who has made a world of difference
The Friday before winter break, my mom packed me an overnight bag and a few deadly weapons and took me to a new boarding school.
This LT work is the third volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.
Percy finds two half bloods and goes to help. He finds a monster and fights them and hunters come and help him. Artmis (the hunter god) is going to look for the monster and ends up in chains holding up the sky. Percy comes and helps and gets her out

This is the third book in the most exciting commercial fantasy adventure series since "Artemis Fowl". Now in paperback with a thrilling new cover look. It's the last Friday before the winter holidays but Percy Jackson isn't at school: he's battling the fearsome Manticore (half human, half lion), which in itself isn't ideal...but with Annabeth missing and the goddess of the hunt held captive, things get a whole lot more serious...Greek mythology relocated to modern-day America. Action-packed, funny, accessible writing for both boys and girls aged 10 and above. This title is perfect for fans of "Harry Potter" and "Artemis Fowl".

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:59 -0400)

When the goddess Artemis disappears while hunting a rare, ancient monster, a group of her followers joins Percy and his friends in an attempt to find and rescue her before the winter solstice, when her influence is needed to sway the Olympian Council regarding the war with the Titans.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,037,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible