The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and…

The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Rick Riordan

Title:The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 3)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2008), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:Youth Lit.

The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

English (245)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Creek (1)  French (1)  All languages (248)
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Halfway through the series and it's starting to get a bit repetitive, both the books and my reviews, I'm afraid.

Because I still really liked the mythology, which for me really is the strongest point of the series. I never particularly likes Percy or Annabeth, I mean they are nice enough but the teaming up of the smart girl and the not so smart but good boy who's going to save the world is something I've seen a bit too many times before. Therefore, neither of them really stood out. The mythology, however, did. (And I know this is not the only series using a lot of Greek mythology, but it's very cleverly done, positioning it in modern America. The only thing that could have made it better would have been to set the story in Europe).

Artemis and her Hunters were introduced in this book, and made the story for me. Also, the prophecy is getting more complicated still. I did start to get the feeling when reading this that the story follows the same structure every time (both in and between the books). While not my favourite, I still really enjoyed reading it. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 6, 2015 |
"This book very much follows the formula established by its predecessors even though the action is more intense, and you certainly get the feeling that author Rick Riordan is building towards his big finale. I feel like this book easily holds up to the two previous installments, but I found myself a bit underwhelmed by certain aspects, namely the formulaic feel of the beginning of the book, and Percy's serious and multiple blunders early on. On the other hand, the introduction of new characters: gods, heroes and mythical creatures alike combined with the evident path towards the true climax of the series kept me interested and made for an overall pleasant read.

The story starts off as the usual, almost repetitive form, with Percy answering a distress call from Grover, but this time the differences are that it's mid-winter instead of the beginning of the school year, and Annabeth and Thalia join Percy from the start. I should mention that, at this point, I began feeling very frustrated about Percy's behavior; it seemed to me that he was trying to compete with Thalia, since she is the new deal, daughter of one of The Three and all, but he is failing miserably! He is making a lot of rash and quite frankly stupid judgement calls just to prove a point to Thalia. And speaking of Thalia, it still felt weird having her back in action so suddenly, but I quickly got used to her and grew to like her a lot. Soon enough they return to Camp Half-Blood and a quest is presented, as always. As usual, there is a limited time frame to accomplish the quest.

Now don't get me wrong, plenty of things surprised me along the way.There is a much bigger part of the story involving gods, both new ones and the ones we've met before. Regarding the later, we get new and interesting details on them. Arthemis and her Hunters were a highlight and a really gobbled up the scenes that they were in. I loved how the gods fit together into the plot as a whole and it's always neat to see them in their updated or modernized personas. As always, the writing style is simple and to the point, and while a first person narrative from a 14 year old boy isn't very lyrical or groundbreaking, it does make for a quick and fun read.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
There is always a way out for those clever enough to find it.

The Last Passage
“He spoke!” Grover cried.
“Calm down, my young satyr,” Chiron said, frowning. “What is the matter?”
“I . . . I was playing music in the parlor,” he stammered, “and drinking coffee. Lots and lots of coffee! And he spoke in my mind!”
“Who?” Annabeth demanded.
“Pan!” Grover wailed. “The Lord of the Wild himself. I heard him! I have to . . . I have to find a suitcase.”
“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” I said. “What did he say?”
Grover stared at me. “Just three words. He said, ‘I await you.’”
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Definitely better than the first three. Made me cry, so I guess it's finally touched me on an adult level, while the first 2 I enjoyed as good children-only lit. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Wasn't bad but it took me 8 months to get through it so it didn't really catch my attention.. ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
These really do keep getting better! ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
So it's funny, but it's also very exciting, with the gods behaving in that disgraceful and unpredictable way that gods do. Then there are the really bad guys. If you're familiar with these ancient characters, you'll be impressed by how Riordan handles them. If they're new to you, it's a gripping introduction.
Readers who are familiar with ancient mythology will enjoy Riordan's tongue-in-cheek approach; those who aren't just might be tempted to go to the original sources to learn more.

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Topher Bradfield

A camper who has made a world of difference
The Friday before winter break, my mom packed me an overnight bag and a few deadly weapons and took me to a new boarding school.
This LT work is the third volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.
Percy finds two half bloods and goes to help. He finds a monster and fights them and hunters come and help him. Artmis (the hunter god) is going to look for the monster and ends up in chains holding up the sky. Percy comes and helps and gets her out

This is the third book in the most exciting commercial fantasy adventure series since "Artemis Fowl". Now in paperback with a thrilling new cover look. It's the last Friday before the winter holidays but Percy Jackson isn't at school: he's battling the fearsome Manticore (half human, half lion), which in itself isn't ideal...but with Annabeth missing and the goddess of the hunt held captive, things get a whole lot more serious...Greek mythology relocated to modern-day America. Action-packed, funny, accessible writing for both boys and girls aged 10 and above. This title is perfect for fans of "Harry Potter" and "Artemis Fowl".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

When the goddess Artemis disappears while hunting a rare, ancient monster, a group of her followers joins Percy and his friends in an attempt to find and rescue her before the winter solstice, when her influence is needed to sway the Olympian Council regarding the war with the Titans.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,768,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible