The Mueller Report by The Washington Post

The Mueller Report (edition 2019)

by The Washington Post (Author)

"There has never been a more important political investigation than Robert S. Mueller III's into President Donald Trump's possible collusion with Russia. His momentous findings can be found here, complete with: -- The 300+ pages of the historic report -- An introduction by constitutional scholar, eminent civil libertarian, and New York Times bestselling author Alan Dershowitz. -- The relevant portions of Title 28 of the Code of Federal Regulations, the 1999 provisions written by former acting Solicitor General Neal Katyal, which establish and regulate the powers of the special counsel. -- Rod Rosenstein's 2016 order appointing Robert Mueller III as special counsel and outlining the scope of his investigation. -- Attorney General William Barr's four-page summary of the report, as sent to Congress. The wait is over. Robert Mueller, a lifelong Republican, has concluded his investigation and submitted its findings to Attorney General William Barr. Barr has told Congress that Mueller found no proof of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, and did not come to a conclusion on obstruction of justice -- neither concluding the president committed a crime nor exonerating him. But Mueller's report was over 300 pages and Barr's summary was only four pages, raising questions about the conclusions of a historic investigation. Special Counsel Robert Mueller III's probe into Russian influence on the 2016 election of Donald Trump -- including links between the campaign and Russian interests, obstruction of justice by President Trump, and any other matters that may have arisen in the course of the investigation -- has been the focal point of American politics since its inception in May 2017. Democrats in the US House of Representatives hoped to use the report to begin impeachment proceedings, with the support of those critical of the president. Media tracked Mueller's every move, and the investigation was subject to constant speculation by political pundits everywhere. It resulted in the indictments of Michael Flynn, Paul Manafort, Roger Stone, and many others. President Trump and his supporters affirmed that the investigation was a "witch hunt" and the product of a plot by the political establishment -- the "deep state" -- to delegitimize his presidency. Mueller's findings -- at least according to Barr -- allowed the latter to claim victory. But now, thanks to a subpoena from House Judiciary Committee chairman Jerry Nadler for the full report, a resolution from the House of Representatives to release the full report to the public (though blocked in the Senate by Mitch McConnell), and popular demand, it's time for public to judge if that is true. The Mueller investigation will join Watergate, and the Mueller Report will join the 9/11 Commission Report, the Warren Report, and the Starr Report, as one of the most important in history. The Mueller Report is required reading for everyone with interest in American politics, for every 2016 and 2020 voter, and every American. It's now available here as an affordable paperback, featuring an introduction from eminent civil libertarian, Harvard Law Professor Emeritus, and New York Times bestselling author Alan Dershowitz, who provides a constitutional, civil law-based commentary sorely needed in today's media landscape."--Amazon.com… (more)
Member:jimcripps
Title:The Mueller Report
Authors:The Washington Post (Author)
Info:Scribner (2019), 736 pages

The Mueller Report by Robert S. III Mueller

Because we determined not to make a traditional prosecutorial judgment, we did not draw ultimate conclusions about the President's conduct. The evidence we obtained about the President's actions and intent presents difficult issues that would need to be resolved if we were to make a traditional prosecutorial judgment. At the same time, if we had confidence after a thorough investigation fo the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, we are unable to reach that judgment. Accordingly, while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.

Well, that was a slog. Due diligence done. Can't say I enjoyed it, but I'm still glad I read it. Other than the above, which is the Conclusion section of the report, the report essentially lays out all the evidence and cites the relevant laws and rulings. To be honest, I didn't fully understand all of the legal portions. The language of judges and lawyers is not my language. However, I did understand the evidence just fine. The obstruction case is strong. The "collusion" case is not. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Jul 31, 2019 |
Remarkably well-documented overview of the long, yet unfinished, investigation of Russia's 2016 conspiracy to defraud the United States, the Trump campaign's attempts to court the Russians and benefit from the fraud, and Donald Trump's efforts to obstruct the investigation into the underlying crimes.

Through Vol. I, on the underlying crime of Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election and the campaign’s efforts to benefit from the interference and cover it up, I counted 23 distinct crimes committed by Russians and campaign officials, including one likely sanctions violation by DT himself. There were also at least 21 distinct efforts by Trump campaign officials to conspire with the Russians. Unfortunately, the Special Counsel could only conduct a cursory investigation: all of the Russian defendants remain at large and refused to be interviewed, most of the campaign's communications were deleted (e.g. Steve Bannon could not explain why he had no email or text history before March 2017), and there were no truly cooperative defendants--what can you expect from a group of shysters?

As an aside, I struggle to understand how the 2015-16 crimes and ongoing intrusions committed by Russia's military intelligence organization and orchestrated by Putin do not constitute acts of war. The U.S. government may actually agree, even if they will not say as much: they are now attacking Russia's electrical grid. Portents.

In Volume II, I count at least 20 discrete instances of attempted obstruction by DT himself. Mueller outlines loads of evidence that prove the unlawful acts and illustrate the intent and the nexus between the act and the expected impact on the investigation.

Despite a preponderance of evidence, Mueller decided at the outset of the investigation to forego criminal accusations against the sitting president, as this would "potentially preempt constitutional processes for addressing presidential misconduct" (i.e. impeachment and post-term prosecution). The slow wheel of justice turns even slower for the powerful, but it will eventually grind trump and his entourage of wannabe plutocrats into the soil.

Fruits of the investigation so far: at least 16 criminal cases / trials and several USD millions in fines. Well done, sir. I just wish Congress could now reliably pick up the reins and do their job.
  shum57 | Jul 22, 2019 |
The complete copy of the Mueller Report is almost twice length of the edition published by Toxic Books.
Editing and abridging may or may not distort the facts.
  PitcherBooks | Jul 17, 2019 |
I finally finished it. It is at times a very difficult read. The laying out of evidence is not too difficult to follow, though the redactions and extensive footnotes can cloud things but the legal analysis is too much for me. I know I am missing alot. But after reading it and listening to far more clever people comment, I do tend to agree that I don't know know why Mueller punted. Writing on the last day of June 2019, maybe it will all be clear later.
  amyem58 | Jun 30, 2019 |
This edition, with contextual reporting and other material from the Washington Post, is as good a print version of the report as any I've found. This important document should be widely—and carefully—read. ( )
  JBD1 | Jun 15, 2019 |

Mueller, Robert S. IIIprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barr, William P.Lettersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dershowitz, AlanForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Finn, PeterNational Security Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Helderman, RosalindIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zapotosky, MattIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,721,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible