Flight of the Intruder by Stephen Coonts

Flight of the Intruder (1986)

by Stephen Coonts

Recently added byGaryCandelaria, jrr731, wwittler77, private library, user4574, wjbrown, BobJ8866, DeWa, AP.Rajshekhar

English (9)  French (1)  All (10)
Flight of the Intruder, by Stephen Coonts (read 7 Oct 2016) The author was a Navy pilot in the Vietnam War and after the war he went to Colorado U. law school. This is his first book, published in 1986, and he has since publshed some 36 books! I found thsi book often exciting and it seemed authentic--the great amount of technical talk convinced me that the author knew lots of things but detracted a bit from the flow of the book. The events were somewhat at times not very likely but the behavior of Navy men on liberty reminded me of my knowledge of Navy life over 60 years ago. There is a lot of spine-tingling events and probably the attitude of some of the fictional characters accurately reflected what may have been an attitude of many men in Vietnam in 1952, controversial as it was. I liked the book enough that I plan to read the book which is its immediate sequel, The Intruders, just to see what Jake Grafton did after the serious difficulty the book ends with. ( )
  Schmerguls | Oct 7, 2016 |
The first Jake Grafton book--Intruders in Vietnam Nam. A powerful read that brought back memories and said some things about that war. Where is book #2 ? ( )
  buffalogr | Dec 5, 2012 |
I don't know why, but I had expected more from Flight of the Intruder. I vaguely remembered the movie of this novel from the early 1990's and had the book sitting on my shelf, so I thought that I'd give it a read.

Overall, it's not THAT bad, but it's not really that good either. Flight of the Intruder falls smack dab in the middle-of-the-road category to me. The storyline is ok but fairly predictable. The characters really don't have a whole lot of depth and the dialog is really nothing to write home about. Also, for an action/adventure style of novel, the action scenes just didn't do much for me.

I wouldn't really recommend this book. However, there is a series of ten books following this character. Maybe it just struck me in the wrong way. I do own one other book in the series, Under Siege, so maybe I'll give it a try sometime and see if that changes my mind. In the meantime, I won't be holding my breath. ( )
  StefanY | Mar 19, 2012 |
First and last book I read and could not put down!! It's was a great book. The move as always sucked compared to the book. ( )
  shabec | May 10, 2011 |
This wasn't very interesting, even if it was a local author. I'm not a pilot, so I got nothing from the story, and it was waaaay too whiny and anti war. I'm not going to read anything else of his. ( )
  Neilsantos | Oct 8, 2010 |
All the wide sky

Was there to tempt him as he steered toward heaven,

Meanwhile the heat of sun struck at his back

And where his wings were joined, sweet-smelling fluid

Ran hot that once was wax.

- Ovid, Metamorphoses,

translated by Horace Gregory
To the memory of Eugene Ely, the first person to land an airplane aboard a ship, and all the men and women of U.S. Naval Aviation who died in the service of their country.
The starboard bow catapult fired, and the A-6A Intruder accelerated down the flight deck with a roar that engulfed the aircraft carrier and reverberated over the night sea.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0870212001, Hardcover)

The authentic story of the A-6 Intruder pilots; ordinary men seeking honour and victory in the air war in Vietnam.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:57 -0400)

During the Vietnam War, attack pilot Jake Grafton, struggling with his conscience and trying to find meaning to all the senseless death and destruction, decides to plan an illegal bombing raid into the very heart of Hanoi.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,158,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible