The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

The Pilgrim's Progress (original 1678; edition 1964)

by John Bunyan, F.R. Leavis (Afterword)

Member:StephenBarkley
Title:The Pilgrim's Progress
Authors:John Bunyan
Other authors:F.R. Leavis (Afterword)
Info:Signet Classics (1964), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, @Church
Tags:Non-Fiction, Spiritual Formation, Religion

The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan (Author) (1678)

This book is ancient! As an allegory of the Christian life, it still makes (almost?) perfect sense today. The second part with Christian's wife and children was kind of boring, probably because it's the retelling of the same story. ( )
  krista.rutherford | Jul 27, 2014 |
This is a Christian book. But its principles of not getting tricked or waylaid off your chosen path as a baseball player or President. We get off our goals just as easily as a Christian apparently gets away from his or her goals in life. ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
I started it once and put it down. Too boring. I picked it up a few years later and found it interesting - the tedious journey no longer seemed so. A puritanical pursuit of the good. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
I can appreciate why John Bunyan's "The Pilgrim's Progress," an allegory of the Christian faith, was beloved by Puritans. For me, it was incredibly tedious and a 1,001 book just to try and get through.

I failed in that... after it became clear the second half was going to be pretty much a retelling of the first half, I finally gave up. ( )
  amerynth | Jun 6, 2014 |
By reputation John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress is one of the classics of English literature, being in print continuously since 1678 and being translated into over 200 languages. In its essence it is the story of Christian faith, following a person of faith as he journeys through life until he arrives at his heavenly home. It is told from the vantage point of a dream and makes excellent use of the method of allegory.

Bunyan wrote this masterpiece in two parts, the first being the story of the journey of a pilgrim, Christian, from the City of Destruction to the Celestial City. The second part is the story of his wife, Christiana, and their four children taking the same journey several years later. Christiana had mocked her husband when he left and she delights in learning the details of his travel as she finds herself being led along the same road. I found Christiana's travels more compelling, perhaps due to the way in which vibrant faith was also expressed in the children.

While Bunyan used allegory to tell this story everything about it comes across as something he knows first-hand, either from his own personal experience as a Christian who was jailed for his faith, or that he learned while serving as a pastor. The struggles that Christian and Christiana go through, although written over 300 years ago, are the struggles of Christians today. And so are the joys and delights that are found in the Christian life. I received this book three years ago as a gift from someone who said he read from it often. And now, having read it myself, I am beginning to understand why, and I anticipate I will follow his habit. ( )
  BradKautz | May 22, 2014 |

Southey, Robertsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Witherspoon, Alexander M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wumkes, G. A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have used similitudes. Hosea xii.10
As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where was a den, and I laid me down in that place to sleep; and, as I slept, I dreamed a dream.
(Introduction to the Penguin edition by Roger Sharrock) -- The Pilgrim's Progress is a book which in the three hundred years of its existence has crossed most of the barriers of race and culture that usually serve to limit the communicative power of a classic.
And all the trumpets sounded for him on the other side.

One of the most powerful dramas of Christian faith ever written, this captivating allegory of man's religious journey in search of salvation follows the pilgrim as he travels an obstacle-filled road to the Celestial City. An enormously influential 17th-century classic, universally known for its simplicity, vigor, and beauty of language.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:14 -0400)

A religious allegory which follows the trials and tribulations of Christian as he journeys to the Celestial City.

Twelve editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Bridge Logos

An edition of this book was published by Bridge Logos.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Eerdmans Books for Young Readers

An edition of this book was published by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers.

Kregel Children's Books

An edition of this book was published by Kregel Children's Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,615,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible