The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

The Pilgrim's Progress (original 1678; edition 1964)

by John Bunyan, F.R. Leavis (Afterword)

Member:StephenBarkley
Title:The Pilgrim's Progress
Authors:John Bunyan
Other authors:F.R. Leavis (Afterword)
Info:Signet Classics (1964), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, @Church
Tags:Non-Fiction, Spiritual Formation, Religion

The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan (1678)

Character names and images are priceless! This is a true classic and was fun to read.

Multiple output styles of text, PDF, scanned images, and even MP3 are available at http://www.ccel.org/ccel/bunyan/pilgrim.html ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
I probably read it too quickly. I felt rushed for time to get it finished. I hope to tackle it again when I have more time and get think on it some more. I had never read it before, and I did not expect the style or pace.
Much better read the second time through: because I am more mature? Because i knew what to expect style wise. The metaphors seemed more ingenious, the story more compelling. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
For entertainment give me Dante's journey through Hell any day--I love the way Dante filled his Hell with actual people rather than allegorical beings, for example, and his imagination was far more creative when it came to just punishments.

I didn't love the experience of reading The Pilgrim's Progress at all. What I did love, though, was to imagine the faith that drove this story. It's very difficult to imagine, from my 21st century perspective, the centrality of religious feeling in 17th century England, and this book more than any other captures the Puritan worldview. ( )
  poingu | Jan 23, 2016 |

Southey, Robertsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Witherspoon, Alexander M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wumkes, G. A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have used similitudes. Hosea xii.10
Introduction (Penguin edition by Roger Sharrock)
The Pilgrim's Progress is a book which in the three hundred years of its existence has crossed most of the barriers of race and culture that usually serve to limit the communicative power of a classic.
As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where was a den, and I laid me down in that place to sleep; and, as I slept, I dreamed a dream.
And all the trumpets sounded for him on the other side.

The front cover of my paperback edition shows what appears to be the right leg and boot of a man walking through long, tough grass. If you are able to look a little more closely, you will see that the stalks of grass are in fact weapons used in Bunyan's time - halberds, pikes, swords, and even hands - all striking up at him to prevent him from reaching Mount Zion. Those weapons are shown very well in the earlier, illustrated editions. Perhaps they represent all that would prevent a person from entering the Kingdom of God?

One of the most powerful dramas of Christian faith ever written, this captivating allegory of man's religious journey in search of salvation follows the pilgrim as he travels an obstacle-filled road to the Celestial City. An enormously influential 17th-century classic, universally known for its simplicity, vigor, and beauty of language.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:19 -0400)

A religious allegory which follows the trials and tribulations of Christian as he journeys to the Celestial City.

Bridge Logos

An edition of this book was published by Bridge Logos.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Eerdmans Books for Young Readers

An edition of this book was published by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers.

Kregel Children's Books

An edition of this book was published by Kregel Children's Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,150,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible