The Pilgrim's Progress (Wordsworth…

The Pilgrim's Progress (Wordsworth Classics of World Literature) (original 1678; edition 1996)

by John Bunyan

Title:The Pilgrim's Progress (Wordsworth Classics of World Literature)
Authors:John Bunyan
Info:Wordsworth Editions Ltd (1996), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Owned - Kindle Copy, Read, Your library
Tags:1001 Books

The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan (1678)

Pilgrim's Progress is a work of genius, a truly original work that does not borrow grandeur from classics but becomes a classic by its own simplicity and profundity. Bunyan writes with clarity and structure, and insights into human nature.

In his essay "Why I am not a Christian", Bertrand Russell named the disbelief in a literal Hell as one of the chief reasons. I didn't get far into this book on my first attempt more than twenty years ago, perhaps for the same unbelief. I could not (and still cannot) relate to the feelings and thoughts of "Christian" concerning the Last Judgment, which compelled him to escape the "City of Destruction" and venture on a journey to the "Celestial City".

In Pilgrim's Progress, Bunyan shares the story of his Christian life, not as a preacher from the pulpit, but as a fellow traveller on a journey, warning others of the pitfalls and dangers to avoid along the way, and sharing the knowledge he gained by painful experience. The Pilgrim knows where he came from and where he is going, for the Lord Who went before him is the Way, and this book is a good travel companion for comfort and guidance; for an unbeliever, however, life is not a spiritual journey, but a drunkard's walk, without origin, progress or destination, and this book is nothing more than another drink from the cup, which neither quenches the thirst nor wakes the drunkard.

(Read full review at Books On Trial) ( )
  booksontrial | Oct 13, 2015 |
This book wasn't bad or awful, per se, it was simply painfully dull and boring with absolutely no vested interest in what occurs with the characters. Which brings us to the characters! Look, I get that this is a biblically-woven highly religious allegory of personal salvation, that much is clear, but does the reader have to be blunted over the head with it? The lead player is named Christian? Really? Couldn't call him Bob? And his wife is Christina? You're joking, right? Pamela would've been better. The biggest surprise - and there are none - is that his children aren't named Christine, Christopher, and Jiminy Christmas. Also, did Bunyan HAVE to name everyone else exactly what they are in metaphor? I found that aggravating, and the slog-through was mighty difficult, and the sudden bursts of rhyme were ridiculous and often non-rhyming, but I'm all the richer for having read it, right? Wrong. Guess I'm going to hell. ( )
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
I believe that science, specifically chemistry, is a window through which we can learn a lot about humanity. The poem at the beginning of Pilgrim's Progress tells about how the author did not mean to make this book but it simply came from his thoughts on different work and took over. I want to use this book to start my first class of the semester and talk about how we can be looking at chemistry and find out something about ourselves without trying too hard.
  ogroft | Apr 14, 2015 |
John Bunyan writes, Pilgrim’s Progress; his allegory, his dream; depicting a spiritual journey leading to everlasting freedom while he himself was in prison. Dreams were given great significance in the ancient world. Pilgrim’s Progress is a dream, with characters and events symbolizing knowledge, and lessons learned throughout the story, which is quite an adventure. An adventure, that would appeal to both adult and child.
  Spiritus3 | Apr 7, 2015 |

Southey, Robertsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Witherspoon, Alexander M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wumkes, G. A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have used similitudes. Hosea xii.10
As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where was a den, and I laid me down in that place to sleep; and, as I slept, I dreamed a dream.
(Introduction to the Penguin edition by Roger Sharrock) -- The Pilgrim's Progress is a book which in the three hundred years of its existence has crossed most of the barriers of race and culture that usually serve to limit the communicative power of a classic.
And all the trumpets sounded for him on the other side.

One of the most powerful dramas of Christian faith ever written, this captivating allegory of man's religious journey in search of salvation follows the pilgrim as he travels an obstacle-filled road to the Celestial City. An enormously influential 17th-century classic, universally known for its simplicity, vigor, and beauty of language.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:19 -0400)

A religious allegory which follows the trials and tribulations of Christian as he journeys to the Celestial City.

Bridge Logos

An edition of this book was published by Bridge Logos.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Eerdmans Books for Young Readers

An edition of this book was published by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers.

Kregel Children's Books

An edition of this book was published by Kregel Children's Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,903,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible