Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Mythology (1942)

by Edith Hamilton

A collection of Greek and Roman myths from various classical sources arranged in section on the gods and early heroes, love and adventure stories, heroes before and during the Trojan War, and lesser myths. Includes a brief section on Norse mythology.
    Greek Gods and Heroes by Robert Graves (kxlly)
    The Greek Myths: Complete Edition by Robert Graves (Anonymous user)
    The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus by Margaret Atwood (sibyllacumaea)
    The Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland (RickyHaas)
    RickyHaas: Both books center on mythology (obviously). The Norse Myths is more focused on a specific mythology. Whereas Mythology is a broader scope with a heavier focus on Greek/Roman Mythology.
    D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri D'Aulaire (Anonymous user)
    The Golden Bough by James George Frazer (infiniteletters)
    Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold by C. S. Lewis (sibyllacumaea)
    Fires by Marguerite Yourcenar (sibyllacumaea)

English (70)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (72)
If you have any interest in Mythology, this is your go-to book. It's well organized and very readable and gives you a great overview with a heavy emphasis on the Greeks. ( )
  Iudita | Nov 9, 2020 |
Hardback, Little Brown, -
  TheNelsonLibrary | Aug 17, 2020 |
I can't even remember when I read this because it has been on my bookshelf since I was a child. . . . Still the best introductory text ever written to Greek, Roman, and Norse mythology. ( )
  CatherineMachineGun | Jul 31, 2020 |
2016 (review can be found at the link - which is a LibraryThing page)
  dchaikin | Jun 21, 2020 |
This book is about the mythology of different cultures, most notably Greek. It gives a great insight on the different deities, and their role. It spans from Greek to Roman. Hamilton's mythology book is known as a classic. Published in 1942, it still lives on. The book covers a lot, from the more famous tales to lesser ones. It covers famous gods and goddesses, such as Zeus and Hera. It also compares the Greek belief to that of the Roman.

Personally, I'm a fan of mythology and ancient culture. I guess it doesn't come as a surprise that I enjoy this book. But I enjoyed the book thoroughly. I'm glad how it puts emphasis on popular and unpopular figures. I'm also content that there's a lot of context with the deities, such as family ties. I like the small stories concerning the gods. It feels like a much deeper dive when going into the world of Greek/Roman gods. Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone interested in this kind of stuff. ( )
  JTomasulo.ELA2 | Mar 24, 2020 |

Tierney, JimArtistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiidus, HardiTÕlkija.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toren, SuzanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wormell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Of old the Hellenic race was marked off from the barbarian as more keen-witted and more free from nonsense
— Herodotus I
Greek and Roman mythology is quite generally supposed to show us how the human race thought and felt untold ages ago.

A keystone of our culture is the body of myth and legend of the ancient Western world - stories of gods and heroes that have inspired human creativity from antiquity to the present day.  In Mythology Edith Hamilton brings this legacy to life anew, with impeccably accurate and accessible retellings of eternally spellbinding tales.
We come to know the Greek gods on Olympus and Norse gods in Valhalla. We trace the dynasties of the Agamemnon and Oedipus dynasties, and get caught up in the fascination of such legends as Jason and the Golden Fleece, Cupid and Psyche, and Medusa.
We discover the origin of the names of the constellations in the skies and reference points for countless works of art, literature, and philosophy.
Edith Hamilton's highly acclaimed work has itself become a classic, an indispensable source of vast knowledge, insight and enjoyment.

Norse - p301 - 315, Several genealogies for the Gods
It may well be a good coverage of Greek, but w only 15 pages, it's not going to be more than a fast introduction to  Norse.

Contents: Introduction to classical mythology -- Gods, the creation, and the earliest heroes -- Stories of love and adventure -- Great heroes before the Trojan War -- Heroes of the Trojan War -- Great families of mythology -- Less important myths -- Mythology of the Norsemen -- Genealogical tables.
Of Greek, Roman myths
Goddesses and gods, heroes
Plus a bit of Norse
(pickupsticks)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,732,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible