Mythology by Edith Hamilton

Mythology (original 1942; edition 1998)

by Edith Hamilton

Member:donbuch1
Title:Mythology
Authors:Edith Hamilton
Info:Back Bay Books (1998), Paperback, 512 pages
Tags:myth, keepers

Mythology by Edith Hamilton (1942)

English (51)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (53)
A instant classic on my bookshelf!! ( )
  elle-kay | Jan 27, 2016 |
For just breezing through with the essentials and some scary detail, Hamilton is fine. Also, some great, if somewhat campy [now] illustrations. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Good reference book
  morsch | Jan 23, 2016 |
In this overview of all the great myths, Hamilton give a basic summary of each story, where it came from, and its significance in Greek or Roman culture. It gives a good introduction to basic Greek and Roman mythology and touches briefly on Norse mythology. It's also a good resource to have around when you're doing a crossword puzzle. However, I think I prefer Thomas Bulfinch's similar volume of mythology because he's more comprehensive (although it's been a long time since I read his book, so I could be wrong). Hamilton's volume is definitely worth reading if you're looking for an introduction to the subject. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Largely a review of middle school material, but there was plenty I did not know, the story of Aeneas in particular. She writes it in a very tangible way, as if it all belongs to history, as if there are definite answers, even if they did not survive to our time. The brief, distant style with which myths are told means a 300-page book can contain a lot of it. [a:Edith Hamilton|13263|Edith Hamilton|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1303749522p2/13263.jpg] gives a good encyclopedic overview. I desperately want to learn how to bring these wonderful stories to the modern audience. Marvel just isn't cutting it. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |

Edith Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Savage, SteeleIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

Of old the Hellenic race was marked off from the barbarian as more keen-witted and more free from nonsense
— Herodotus I
Greek and Roman mythology is quite generally supposed to show us how the human race thought and felt untold ages ago.

A keystone of our culture is the body of myth and legend of the ancient Western world - stories of gods and heroes that have inspired human creativity from antiquity to the present day.  In Mythology Edith Hamilton brings this legacy to life anew, with impeccably accurate and accessible retellings of eternally spellbinding tales.
We come to know the Greek gods on Olympus and Norse gods in Valhalla. We trace the dynasties of the Agamemnon and Oedipus dynasties, and get caught up in the fascination of such legends as Jason and the Golden Fleece, Cupid and Psyche, and Medusa.
We discover the origin of the names of the constellations in the skies and reference points for countless works of art, literature, and philosophy.
Edith Hamilton's highly acclaimed work has itself become a classic, an indispensable source of vast knowledge, insight and enjoyment.

Norse - p301 - 315, Several genealogies for the Gods
It may well be a good coverage of Greek, but w only 15 pages, it's not going to be more than a fast introduction to  Norse.
Of Greek, Roman myths
Goddesses and gods, heroes
Plus a bit of Norse
(pickupsticks)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316341517, Paperback)

Edith Hamilton loved the ancient Western myths with a passion--and this classic compendium is her tribute. "The tales of Greek mythology do not throw any clear light upon what early mankind was like," Hamilton explains in her introduction. "They do throw an abundance of light upon what early Greeks were like--a matter, it would seem, of more importance to us, who are their descendents intellectually, artistically, and politically. Nothing we learn about them is alien to ourselves." Fans of Greek mythology will find all the great stories and characters here--Perseus, Hercules, and Odysseus--each discussed in generous detail by the voice of an impressively knowledgeable and engaging (with occasional lapses) narrator. This is also an excellent primer for middle- and high-school students who are studying ancient Greek and Roman culture and literature. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:38 -0400)

A collection of Greek and Roman myths from various classical sources arranged in section on the gods and early heroes, love and adventure stories, heroes before and during the Trojan War, and lesser myths. Includes a brief section on Norse mythology.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,409,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible