Mythology by Edith Hamilton

Mythology (original 1942; edition 1998)

by Edith Hamilton

8,81956341 (3.91)83
Member:donbuch1
Title:Mythology
Authors:Edith Hamilton
Info:Back Bay Books (1998), Paperback, 512 pages
Tags:myth, keepers

Mythology by Edith Hamilton (1942)

English (53)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  English (55)
Since the "stories" of the Greek and Roman gods and goddesses are not a single written tale, most authors of compilations of this sort piece together a narrative from various sources: plays, poems, oral tradition. Edith Hamilton's Mythology: Timeless tales of Gods and Heroes is an OK summary of these tales. She prefaces each story with a list of various sources that tells of that god or hero, tells which source she based her retelling of it on and why she chose that particular source, as well as her opinion on that writer's literary prowess. Her retelling is straightforward and simple, it is not an artistic or literary retelling. If you are just interested in the 'facts' of the story, then this book is fine--not particularly inspiring, but sufficient. She does not quote from original sources, though she does name them. Her reasons for using one source over another is neither academic nor very enlightening. It's a good reference for looking up the relationship of gods to each other, their basic stories, and which Classical authors wrote on these themes. ( )
  Marse | Oct 5, 2016 |
This book garners four stars from someone who is less than fluent in Greek mythology, somewhat to her bafflement. I may have been one of the first generations of schoolkids who was not assigned this book in my Humanities class. I wish I had been; the myths here are very accessible, the heroes and gods very human-like. the unspeakable tragedy and violence is referred to here unblinkingly. But I can understand that someone looking for something more nuanced, more detailed, might be disappointed by such a book. For me, however, it was a great read and a wonderful entry point to the wider world of Greek and Roman mythology. ( )
  bookofmoons | Sep 1, 2016 |
A instant classic on my bookshelf!! ( )
  elle-kay | Jan 27, 2016 |
For just breezing through with the essentials and some scary detail, Hamilton is fine. Also, some great, if somewhat campy [now] illustrations. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Good reference book
  morsch | Jan 23, 2016 |

Edith Hamiltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Savage, SteeleIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

Of old the Hellenic race was marked off from the barbarian as more keen-witted and more free from nonsense
— Herodotus I
Greek and Roman mythology is quite generally supposed to show us how the human race thought and felt untold ages ago.

A keystone of our culture is the body of myth and legend of the ancient Western world - stories of gods and heroes that have inspired human creativity from antiquity to the present day.  In Mythology Edith Hamilton brings this legacy to life anew, with impeccably accurate and accessible retellings of eternally spellbinding tales.
We come to know the Greek gods on Olympus and Norse gods in Valhalla. We trace the dynasties of the Agamemnon and Oedipus dynasties, and get caught up in the fascination of such legends as Jason and the Golden Fleece, Cupid and Psyche, and Medusa.
We discover the origin of the names of the constellations in the skies and reference points for countless works of art, literature, and philosophy.
Edith Hamilton's highly acclaimed work has itself become a classic, an indispensable source of vast knowledge, insight and enjoyment.

Norse - p301 - 315, Several genealogies for the Gods
It may well be a good coverage of Greek, but w only 15 pages, it's not going to be more than a fast introduction to  Norse.
Of Greek, Roman myths
Goddesses and gods, heroes
Plus a bit of Norse
(pickupsticks)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316341517, Paperback)

Edith Hamilton loved the ancient Western myths with a passion--and this classic compendium is her tribute. "The tales of Greek mythology do not throw any clear light upon what early mankind was like," Hamilton explains in her introduction. "They do throw an abundance of light upon what early Greeks were like--a matter, it would seem, of more importance to us, who are their descendents intellectually, artistically, and politically. Nothing we learn about them is alien to ourselves." Fans of Greek mythology will find all the great stories and characters here--Perseus, Hercules, and Odysseus--each discussed in generous detail by the voice of an impressively knowledgeable and engaging (with occasional lapses) narrator. This is also an excellent primer for middle- and high-school students who are studying ancient Greek and Roman culture and literature. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:38 -0400)

A collection of Greek and Roman myths from various classical sources arranged in section on the gods and early heroes, love and adventure stories, heroes before and during the Trojan War, and lesser myths. Includes a brief section on Norse mythology.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,617,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible