Mythology by Edith Hamilton

Mythology (original 1942; edition 1998)

by Edith Hamilton

Member:donbuch1
Title:Mythology
Authors:Edith Hamilton
Info:Back Bay Books (1998), Paperback, 512 pages
Tags:myth, keepers

Mythology by Edith Hamilton (1942)

English (42)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (44)
Edith Hamilton really knew how to put things into perspective and dig deep into the world's mythology. ( )
  kushtaka9962 | Nov 4, 2014 |
More of a textbook than anything. She managed to make some wonderful tales dry and boring. Good as resource material, but very dry, academic reading. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
I found Hamilton's Mythology adequate if not inspiring as a read rather than a reference text. (It has been on my bookshelf for many years) I will still use it to look up mythological references that I come across in poems or novels, but I'll go elsewhere I think, if the urge to read the mythological tales themselves should ever come upon me again. ( )
  Paulagraph | May 25, 2014 |
Read this for English class. For greek-mythology lovers like me, it gave quite a good explanation of numerous myths and clarifies the big pictures of Norse, Roman, and Greek mythology. A bit too heavy to read in one sitting, but an excellent reference for fans of the genre. I wouldn't say this is a must-read, but definitely beneficial for a devoted reader. ( )
  Summer_Missfictional | May 23, 2014 |
Dozens of famous and not-so-famous Greek myths. I'd already read Ovid, Homer, Aeschylus, Sophocles, etc.,so this was a fun and familiar review. Suddenly in the last few pages, the gears switch to an extremely broad overview of Norse mythology.

Sometimes dry and always merely a rehash of story plots. But I think this would be a great overview for anyone interested in the original works. ( )
  Sandydog1 | May 14, 2014 |

Edith Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Savage, SteeleIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Of old the Hellenic race was marked off from the barbarian as more keen-witted and more free from nonsense - Herodotus I
Greek and Roman mythology is quite generally supposed to show us how the human race thought and felt untold ages ago.
A keystone of our culture is the body of myth and legend of the ancient Western world - stories of gods and heroes that have inspired human creativity from antiquity to the present day.  In Mythology Edith Hamilton brings this legacy to life anew, with impeccably accurate and accessible retellings of eternally spellbinding tales.
We come to know the Greek gods on Olympus and Norse gods in Valhalla. We trace the dynasties of the Agamemnon and Oedipus dynasties, and get caught up in the fascination of such legends as Jason and the Golden Fleece, Cupid and Psyche, and Medusa.
We discover the origin of the names of the constellations in the skies and reference points for countless works of art, literature, and philosophy.
Edith Hamilton's highly acclaimed work has itself become a classic, an indispensable source of vast knowledge, insight and enjoyment.

Norse - p301 - 315, Several genealogies for the Gods
It may well be a good coverage of Greek, but w only 15 pages, it's not going to be more than a fast introduction to  Norse.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316341517, Paperback)

Edith Hamilton loved the ancient Western myths with a passion--and this classic compendium is her tribute. "The tales of Greek mythology do not throw any clear light upon what early mankind was like," Hamilton explains in her introduction. "They do throw an abundance of light upon what early Greeks were like--a matter, it would seem, of more importance to us, who are their descendents intellectually, artistically, and politically. Nothing we learn about them is alien to ourselves." Fans of Greek mythology will find all the great stories and characters here--Perseus, Hercules, and Odysseus--each discussed in generous detail by the voice of an impressively knowledgeable and engaging (with occasional lapses) narrator. This is also an excellent primer for middle- and high-school students who are studying ancient Greek and Roman culture and literature. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:04 -0400)

A collection of Greek and Roman myths from various classical sources arranged in section on the gods and early heroes, love and adventure stories, heroes before and during the Trojan War, and lesser myths. Includes a brief section on Norse mythology.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,029,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible