Battling Editor: The Albany Years (2019)

by Harry Rosenfeld, William Kennedy (Foreword)

1None6,241,850None1
Recently added byMicheller7

No tags

No reviews

Harry Rosenfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
William KennedyForewordmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For the men and women with whom I had the good fortune to work at newspapers for more than seven decades, stalwarts of the people's liberties.
And for Paul and Rachel, forever in our hearts.
It took me the better part of seven hours to drive out of one world into another.
...journalism is not a purveyor of the truth because it is so hard to grasp...newspapers neither disdain the truth or tell willful lies. "The point is that the truth is hard if not impossible to know on a day-to-dat basis.  Daily newspapering is done in a hurry and what we get is maybe a slice of the truth, or a truth one day, and if we're good, another slice the next...We print what we think, believe, and hope is the truth, but it is only such truth as we have managed to find out, much from people with an interest in not telling the truth, all subject to later correction."
Among the most useful lessons I absorbed from my newspaper work was that people did their best when free to make the most of their strengths, while I sought to manage their shortcomings.
Deliberately preventing a newspaper from publishing is like burning a book.

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,463,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible