Forever... by Judy Blume

Forever... (1975)

by Judy Blume

Like Dr. Sue Johanson (Talk Sex With Sue), I count on Judy Blume to give the straight scoop on love and sex (adolescent and adult), without shame or judgement. As usual, Blume delivers. A frank read, _Forever_ can be read in a couple of hours with all the beautiful nostalgia for us who can see their fist love with 20/20 hindsight, or, for readers closer to 18, with honesty and compassion, and a message of safety, truthfulness to self and happiness. ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Jul 26, 2014 |
I give this book a quality rating of four but a popularity rating of five on the VOYA scale. This is the first Library Thing book that I have assigned a higher popularity than quality rating to. This is because, while Blume is a wonderful author, certainly deserving of a four in quality, this book's appeal has more to do with its content than its delivery. This has been a popular novel since the seventies when it first stirred up controversy and it's been met by eager teens and reproving parents ever since. Katherine's sexual awakening and first experiences of love and intimacy are important and reassuring to teens. And they should be encouraged to keep reading this novel because it is rife with sexual education. Blume discusses birth control, STDs and sexual pleasure frankly and informatively. She also stresses that trusted adults other than parents can provide support and information during puberty and sexual awakening, as is the case with Kath's grandma in the novel. I wish that I had read it as a teen, and maybe if I had known how widely banned it is I would have! ( )
  Millerloo | Jun 8, 2014 |
This book really doesn't hold back, does it? I'm pleasantly surprised something with that much sex could get published back then, hell, you can't away with it nowadays, sad as that is. I like that this book shows that yes, teenagers have sex, always have, always will, but also shows that it isn't everything and things change, people change and you can move on, even after all is said and done. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
This is one of my all time favorite books that I read in high school. It is about young love and two teens who fall in love but it does not end up working out in the end. Great read for young love ( )
  caitlinsnead | Dec 9, 2013 |
This book is about a girl who is senior in high school falling in love for the first time. Kath starts dating Micheal and everything is perfect. Like most relationships they have issues and sex is a big thing for them. Throughout the story the couple face issues that they have be there for each other for. Over the summer they spend time apart and Kath realizes that what she thought would be forever may not be when she starts liking another guy. This break up is hard for both of them.
I am not sure I would allow my students to read this story, if i did it would only be seniors who are allowed to read this book, I think is a great book to teach about the different issues that affect teens like sex, alcohol, attempt suicide, death, and pregnancy. These are all things that they characters in this story faced. If i was to teach this in my class room I would ask my student to reflect on issues that are facing and express those issues and the different outcome of them through different media.
I enjoyed reading this book. I was a really easy read for me. I can also understand why is banned in many schools. Although I don't agree with the banning of it because I feel like students need to know that they are not alone when facing their issues that they face daily. And reading books like this can help to learn to deal with the many curve balls that life will throw their way. ( )
  Bianca_Knight | Apr 7, 2013 |
Katherine and Michael's romance progresses rapidly from kissing to sexual intercourse after Katherine gets the Pill-- but will their love last forever?
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

Judy Blumeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leent-Sieburgh, E.A. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR RANDY as promised...with love
Sybil Davison has a genius I.Q. and has been laid by at least six different guys.
He and Mom started reminiscing about their college days. I didn't tell them that with Michael and me it's different. That it's not just some fifties fad, like going steady. That with us it is love--real, true honest-to-god love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671695304, Mass Market Paperback)

"Going all the way" is still a taboo subject in young adult literature. Judy Blume was the first author to write candidly about a sexually active teen, and she's been defending teenagers' rights to read about such subjects ever since. Here, Blume tells a convincing tale of first love--a love that seems strong and true enough to last forever. Katherine loves Michael so much, in fact, that she's willing to lose her virginity to him, and, as the months go by, it gets harder and harder for her to imagine living without him. However, something happens when they are separated for the summer: Katherine begins to have feelings for another guy. What does this mean about her love for Michael? What does this mean about love in general? What does "forever" mean, anyway? As always, Blume writes as if she's never forgotten a moment of what it's like to be a teenager.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:40 -0400)

Two high school seniors believe their love to be so strong that it will last forever.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,319,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible