Forever by Judy Blume

Forever (original 1975; edition 1989)

by Judy Blume

Member:stephxsu
Title:Forever
Authors:Judy Blume
Info:Pocket (1989), Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***
Tags:relationships, sex

Forever... by Judy Blume (1975)

I can see how this book was challenged many times after it was first published. It covers a very controversial topic for teenagers. Although some parts were pretty intense and descriptive I think it is still a great book for young girls to read. It accurately describes how relationships can be at that age and the pressures that go with it. I love how accepting and supportive her grandmother is and the part with her choosing to go to Planned Parenthood. Most of all I think the ending is very realistic. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Sep 20, 2016 |
A book I really didn't care for, which is surprising for me and Blume's YA stuff. It just felt too forced and not enough emotion invested in the characters. A few things pissed me off too, and the ending left a bad taste in my mouth. It was a predictable ending - realistic even - but it felt out there without any substance with the way it was written. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
A book I first read in late middle school, it shows the first time romance between a girl and her boyfriend. It takes you through their journey as a couple. While some may find this not exciting or worth reading, I feel that for those who can handle the sensitive material, it is a great book to read before getting into a relationship. If the age level wasn't so subjective, I'd have given this more stars as it is well-written and a wonderful book. ( )
  eeminxs | May 27, 2016 |
I first read Forever in my pre-teens or teen years, my memory is a little rusty on that. I do remember it was the 80's and at the time I read it I was very surprised by the content. I couldn't believe a teen book would so openly discuss the topic of sex. And I always remember that is was a favorite book of mine. So when I came across it again over a year ago on Goodreads, I decided to get a copy for my Kindle and now I've finally re-read it and realize that I had forgotten basically everything about it. It was like reading it for the first time again. The only thing I recognized was a line that I never forgot to this day that for the life of me I couldn't remember where I heard it or read it. I did wonder at one point if it was from a Judy Blume book but I couldn't be sure.

....."once your there you can't go back to holding hands"

I was right about it being from a Judy Blume book, however I never forgot that it was referring to taking the difficult and irreversible step to having sex for the first time. And I've always agreed with that statement. The consequences that can come from such a monumental step can be devastating if not entered into prepared. It also doesn't matter the age although the younger the more mistakes are likely.

Blume wrote a very brave and honest depiction of a young person's coming of age story that will always be current no matter the decade. One thing that struck me was the openness and courage of the young people in this story compared to the contemporary books I read today. Katherine, Erica, Michael and Artie were very forthcoming with their feelings and opinions. No beating around the bush. The parents were actually present and involved too. Of course I do love my modern contemporary but it was refreshing to step back in time and just be real for a moment. Speaking of stepping back in time it was the seventies so the Sex, Drugs, that includes alcohol, and maybe a little Rock and Roll, were present and accounted for, but not in an out of control way. It was just enough to show what the time was like then and it also show that the more things change the more they stay the same.

I thought this story was a very real look at the life of the teenager, about making choices, whether they be good or bad. Realizing that your life doesn't end after high school, your just entering another chapter and experiencing their first true love, and the growing pains that come with all that.

I really enjoyed this book and I probably didn't appreciate what Blume did for society when she wrote this book back in the 70's. I wasn't even aware that it was wrong to write a book like this at the time and can look back and see how far society has come. Even though today there are still heated discussions on how much to inform young people with in parts of our society. This book not only entertained my mind but it made me reflect. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
I just wish that I had read this when I was in high school.

This book, simple in its form, tells the story of Kath and Michael during the 1970s. They are two 17-year-olds that decide to have sex and guess what... the world doesn't end because of it.
Kath's life revolves around tennis, her friends, and her family. We get real insights as to what's inside the teen's head and what really happens when she graduates and gets ready to go to college.
The (bad) language is minimal, the sex is... well, there's a few scenes but I think they are essential because it demonstrates the awkwardness of that "first time".
What is also amazing to me is how Blume (praise Judy Blume!) has Kath goes through getting birth control for the first time. The doctor's examination is explained, and the scenario is not scary. Kath explains her nervousness, but then says "[that] was nothing".

This is a MUST-read for any teen going through that first relationship with sex and all the feels. ( )
  britlitya | Mar 27, 2016 |
Katherine and Michael's romance progresses rapidly from kissing to sexual intercourse after Katherine gets the Pill-- but will their love last forever?
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

Judy Blumeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leent-Sieburgh, E.A. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR RANDY as promised...with love
Sybil Davison has a genius I.Q. and has been laid by at least six different guys.
He and Mom started reminiscing about their college days. I didn't tell them that with Michael and me it's different. That it's not just some fifties fad, like going steady. That with us it is love--real, true honest-to-god love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671695304, Mass Market Paperback)

"Going all the way" is still a taboo subject in young adult literature. Judy Blume was the first author to write candidly about a sexually active teen, and she's been defending teenagers' rights to read about such subjects ever since. Here, Blume tells a convincing tale of first love--a love that seems strong and true enough to last forever. Katherine loves Michael so much, in fact, that she's willing to lose her virginity to him, and, as the months go by, it gets harder and harder for her to imagine living without him. However, something happens when they are separated for the summer: Katherine begins to have feelings for another guy. What does this mean about her love for Michael? What does this mean about love in general? What does "forever" mean, anyway? As always, Blume writes as if she's never forgotten a moment of what it's like to be a teenager.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:27 -0400)

Two high school seniors believe their love to be so strong that it will last forever.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,221,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible