Forever by Judy Blume

Forever (original 1975; edition 1989)

by Judy Blume

2,173None2,983 (3.53)40
Member:stephxsu
Title:Forever
Authors:Judy Blume
Info:Pocket (1989), Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***
Tags:relationships, sex

Forever... by Judy Blume (1975)

banned (16) banned books (21) chick lit (12) classic (24) coming of age (51) fiction (157) first love (48) friendship (12) high school (31) identity (11) intimacy (20) LIS 5565 (13) love (42) novel (13) own (12) RC3 (11) read (54) realistic fiction (19) relationships (65) romance (86) sex (93) sexuality (32) teen (48) teenagers (18) to-read (27) virginity (11) YA (133) young adult (125) young adult fiction (33) young adult literature (17)

This is one of my all time favorite books that I read in high school. It is about young love and two teens who fall in love but it does not end up working out in the end. Great read for young love ( )
  caitlinsnead | Dec 9, 2013 |
This book is about a girl who is senior in high school falling in love for the first time. Kath starts dating Micheal and everything is perfect. Like most relationships they have issues and sex is a big thing for them. Throughout the story the couple face issues that they have be there for each other for. Over the summer they spend time apart and Kath realizes that what she thought would be forever may not be when she starts liking another guy. This break up is hard for both of them.
I am not sure I would allow my students to read this story, if i did it would only be seniors who are allowed to read this book, I think is a great book to teach about the different issues that affect teens like sex, alcohol, attempt suicide, death, and pregnancy. These are all things that they characters in this story faced. If i was to teach this in my class room I would ask my student to reflect on issues that are facing and express those issues and the different outcome of them through different media.
I enjoyed reading this book. I was a really easy read for me. I can also understand why is banned in many schools. Although I don't agree with the banning of it because I feel like students need to know that they are not alone when facing their issues that they face daily. And reading books like this can help to learn to deal with the many curve balls that life will throw their way. ( )
  Bianca_Knight | Apr 7, 2013 |
One of those classic YA novels that you have to read to see where we've been. Pretty unremarkable and tame by modern "Gossip Girl" standards but still gets challenged. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
I can understand why this book is a "classic," and banned as well, as it dealt with many topics that were taboo in children's/young adult literature at the time.

I wasn't crazy about the book, but I think it's mostly because I couldn't really relate to it. I felt like every page was about sex and the affects of it on a relationship, and that's what the main character was focused on, which got annoying after awhile.

I did like the honesty in the ending. It wasn't "perfect" and it didn't give an idealized view of relationships and love, which I think is good.

I probably would have liked this book better if I had read it when I was in junior high or high school, I just wanted more depth of the character (instead of just sex and boys) but, overall, a decent (and quick) read and I can see why it continues to be published and a favorite of young adults everywhere (and why it still is banned). ( )
  leftik | Apr 3, 2013 |
I'm sorry I missed this when I was in high school. In some ways, of course, it's dated, but in others it's much more progressive than I would have expected for a book that was first published in 1957. I enjoyed it, and thought it was a fairly realistic/representative portrayal of high school friendships and relationships. ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
Katherine and Michael's romance progresses rapidly from kissing to sexual intercourse after Katherine gets the Pill-- but will their love last forever?
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

Judy Blumeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leent-Sieburgh, E.A. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR RANDY as promised...with love
Sybil Davison has a genius I.Q. and has been laid by at least six different guys.
He and Mom started reminiscing about their college days. I didn't tell them that with Michael and me it's different. That it's not just some fifties fad, like going steady. That with us it is love--real, true honest-to-god love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671695304, Mass Market Paperback)

"Going all the way" is still a taboo subject in young adult literature. Judy Blume was the first author to write candidly about a sexually active teen, and she's been defending teenagers' rights to read about such subjects ever since. Here, Blume tells a convincing tale of first love--a love that seems strong and true enough to last forever. Katherine loves Michael so much, in fact, that she's willing to lose her virginity to him, and, as the months go by, it gets harder and harder for her to imagine living without him. However, something happens when they are separated for the summer: Katherine begins to have feelings for another guy. What does this mean about her love for Michael? What does this mean about love in general? What does "forever" mean, anyway? As always, Blume writes as if she's never forgotten a moment of what it's like to be a teenager.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:40 -0400)

Two high school seniors believe their love to be so strong that it will last forever.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,478,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible