Horton Hears a Who (Dr.Seuss Classic…

Horton Hears a Who (Dr.Seuss Classic Collection) (original 1954; edition 1998)

by Dr. Seuss

Series: Horton (3)

Member:belgatherial
Title:Horton Hears a Who (Dr.Seuss Classic Collection)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Picture Lions (1998), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 64 pages
Collections:Books
Rating:*****
Tags:book, fiction, picturebook

Horton Hears A Who! by Dr. Seuss (1954)

English (86)  French (1)  All languages (87)
I did Saussical as a musical a few years ago! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
The only Dr. Seuss book I ever got to read when I was a kid. My mother disliked Seuss and he was not allowed among the many, many books I had. But with this one we had the record that went with it. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 22, 2016 |
I've read a lot of Dr. Suess books in my life, between my own childhood and raising three boys. However, this was the first time I have ever read Horton Hears a Who. It has become my favorite of all his books. In his usual absurd rhymes, Dr. Suess tells the story of an elephant who hears a soft voice. He finally discovers the source of that voice is coming from atop a dust mote and vows to protect the small life. The other jungle animals think that Horton is crazy and try to bully him into being rid of it. Horton, however, is determined to do everything he can to keep the owner of that voice safe.

One of the things I love about Dr. Suess is that there is often more to the story than appears. Yes it is a cute story about an elephant, but it is also a story about bullying, and there is yet another story how important it is to make yourself heard. Maybe I have been watching a little too much CNN and reading a few two many political news journals, but what really struck me about the story was how it took every last voice of every single Who, even the very smallest, until their cries were heard. I see that as anagolous to how important, in this election year, it is to be heard. For all of us to be heard. That last little voice created change. If you combine hundreds and thousands and millions of voices, you will create a roar and that roar can create change. It's a reminder that by understanding the importance of your own voice, by speaking up that you can be the change, you can create the world in which you want to live. So yes, read this book for your kids, but read it for yourself too. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
Wish I would have taken more time to read Dr. Suess books. I remember them from when I was little but reading them now would be a new experience I think. I think portrays a message that everyone is important and can make a difference and teaches children to stand up for one another. ( )
  tturkmen | Dec 1, 2015 |
I chose to incorporate this book to have a poetry book in my collection. Dr. Seuss has a creative may of telling his story with made up words to have a rhyme in his flow of writing. I like the plot and lessons learned in this book. The main lesson that I learned from this book was to not give up in my beliefs. Horton believed that their was something important on the dandy lion that he had found. And there was! The flow of the story makes the reader want to keep reading to see what happens to the world and people living on the dandy lion speckle. The bigger picture is to show students that their opinions matter and that they have a write to fight for them while telling a child friendly story with a giant elephant that has a huge heart for the tiniest of people.
  jbahri1 | Nov 17, 2015 |
On the fifteenth of May, in the Jungle of Nool, in the heat of the day, in the cool of the pool, he was splashing...enjoying the jungle's great joys...when Horton the elephant heard a small noise.
A person's a person, no matter how small.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800788, Hardcover)

Surely among the most lovable of all Dr. Seuss creations, Horton the Elephant represents kindness, trustworthiness, and perseverance--all wrapped up, thank goodness, in a comical and even absurd package. Horton hears a cry for help from a speck of dust, and spends much of the book trying to protect the infinitesimal creatures who live on it from the derision and trickery of other animals, who think their elephant friend has gone quite nutty. But worse is in store: an eagle carries away the clover in which Horton has placed the life-bearing speck, and "let that small clover drop somewhere inside / of a great patch of clovers a hundred miles wide!" Horton wins in the end, after persuading the "Who's" to make as much noise as possible and prove their existence. This classic is not only fun, but a great way to introduce thoughtful children to essentially philosophical questions. How, after all, are we so sure there aren't invisible civilizations floating by on every mote? (Ages 4 to 8) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:43 -0400)

A city of Whos on a speck of dust are threatened with destruction until the smallest Who of all helps convince Horton's friends that Whos really exist.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible