Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff

Make Lemonade (edition 2000)

by Virginia Euwer Wolff

Member:ahsreads
Title:Make Lemonade
Authors:Virginia Euwer Wolff
Info:Books On Tape (2000), Audio CD
Collections:Wishlist
Tags:lemonade, poverty, struggle, love, children, care, family, faith, education

Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff

I inherited about 30 of these for my middle school classroom, but I certainly don't need them. This novel-in-verse is good, but not something with which I want to teach my rural, semi-privileged kids. I didn't think it was too realistic, although it tries very hard to be and may even pass as such. LeVaughn is a caricature, and Jolly may be, too, but I don't know anyone in Jolly's shoes enough to judge if she's a possibility or not. This novel tries to teach you not to judge, of course, and to make lemonade out of life's lemons. I can't believe it's a trilogy...I wasn't even wondering what happens next at the end. An unnecessary trilogy, I'd say.

Anyway, it was predictable and a bit cheesy, but I enjoyed the poetry.
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
A very good read. Once you have read it you can understand why is has won such acclaim. A 14 year old Afro-american girl takes a babysitting job with a 17 year old Afro-american girl who had two children. The heroine,Verna Lavaughn's father died in a driveby shooting. Jolly's children's fathers are absent. Bringing the lesson of making lemonade when life gives you lemons to life in a very accessible way. Warm, human, and touching. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
ALA BBYA. RGG: Written in free verse, a story about a teenage girl's connection to an unwed mother and her two young children. Really a story about overcoming adversity.
  rgruberhighschool | Apr 29, 2015 |
This book is written for young adults. It is a fascinating story that can teach the young learn to make decisions in your life. This novel is written in free verse.
  ana.j.diaz.1 | Mar 10, 2015 |
LaVaughn is a young girl just starting high school with the hopes of one day attending college. When she receives a babysitting job for a young teen mom of two kids she starts off just by thinking about how it will help her get to college. Little does LaVaughn know that she will learn more than just the importance of getting herself to school, but she will start to look at the world differently and open up her eyes as well.
  auntiepants88 | Dec 3, 2014 |
For young mothers
"I am telling you this just the way it went
with all the details I remember as they were,
and including the parts I'm not sure about."

LaVaughn, a girl from the slums with dreams of attending college, takes a regular babysitting job for a single teen parent even more impoverished than herself.

An award-winning novel about growing up and making choices

Viginia Euwer Wolff's groundbreaking novel, written in free verse, tells the story of fourteen-year-old LaVaughn, who is determined to go to college--she just needs the money to get there. When she answers a babysitting ad, LaVaughn meets Jolly, a seventeen-year-old single mother with two kids by different fathers. As she helps Jolly make lemonade out of the lemons her life has given her, LaVaughn learns some lessons outside the classroom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:25 -0400)

In order to earn money for college, fourteen-year-old LaVaughn babysits for a teenage mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,149,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible