Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

by Dr. Seuss

English (225)  Dutch (1)  All languages (226)
Summary of Book: This book called Oh, the Places You’ll Go is a poetry book by Dr. Seuss using humor to describe to his readers to always be successful no matter where you go. He describes that life will always have ups and downs but there will always be fun adventures. He uses wise words to help any age student transferring to one life event to another.
Personal Reaction to Book: This book is one of my all-time favorites. It teaches a great lesson that someone at any age can relate. I love that he used rhythm and humor but still makes a very important lesson with his wise words.
Extension Ideas:
1. The children will write their own short poem describing themselves
2. The children will draw a picture that relates to their own poem.
  ChristaSparks | Apr 12, 2015 |
Summary
This story tells readers that they can decide what path they want to take in life. On your journey there will be problems that arise but stay positive and don’t let them define you. You will face enemies but you will succeed if you stay on the right path.

Personal Reaction
When I graduated high school I did not know what path was the right one for me. I went to college but did not know what I wanted to do with my life and I felt I was in the waiting place. I married at a young age and was still unsure of what I wanted to do with my life. I decided I would get a job and just make the best of life but I was still unhappy. It took me three years to realize I wanted to finish my college degree and make a difference in someone’s life. This book encourages readers to stay on the right path and don’t wait on life to pass, stay positive and reach your goals in life.

Extension Ideas
1.The students could draw a picture of what they want to be when they grow up or where they would like to travel.
2.The students could write down a time in their life where they faced a problem in their life and how they overcame the issue.
  HaleyMcPherson | Apr 11, 2015 |
Love this book so much. I got a copy from my mom when i graduated high school and it still brings tears to my eyes. This book provides inspiration and a positive outlook on the future, showing readers that great things happen despite the slumps we experience. This book is great for anyone of any age going through some kind of big change, but it is good to help children or adults get comfortable with the idea of the future. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 8, 2015 |
This is a book that is congratulating the reader on a lifetime accomplishment. It is a small preview into their future with all of the challenges the reader will face, but also all of the great things that they are going to see and do. It is a great book to just sit and think about. It gives life a little bit of humor, and makes it a little bit less scary. Genre: poetry because the whole book is a poem about life. ( )
  amassingale | Apr 7, 2015 |
I love this book, and it has always been one of my favorites to read. This book is fabulous because no matter what age I read it at, I always feel inspired and full of hope for my future. As a kid reading it, the book provides you with a dream of a great future. When I read it as a 20 year old I was still left inspired, but I also felt a little more calm about my future and what awaits me. Another reason to love this book is because of the illustrations. The pastel color scheme is calming and pleasing to the eye and it really adds to the feeling the book gives you. The big idea of this book is that you will do great things in your future! ( )
  jcuttitta | Apr 5, 2015 |
This is a great inspirational story that gives children hope for the future. Great to use at the end of the year.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Congratulations!
Today is your day.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a story to help children with their rhyming skills. Throughout the story the main character is traveling to far and near places. He ventures into lands that all different. He gets scared one place, happy at another, and so on. The story is about how children should not be afraid of experiencing the world. In fact, after visiting new places you can gain appreciation for your home and how secure and known it is to you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679805273, Hardcover)

Inspirational yet honest, and always rhythmically rollicking, Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a perfect sendoff for children, 1 to 100, entering any new phase of their lives. Kindergartners, graduate students, newlyweds, newly employeds--all will glean shiny pearls of wisdom about the big, bountiful future. The incomparable Dr. Seuss rejoices in the potential everyone has to fulfill their wildest dreams: "You'll be on your way up! / You'll be seeing great sights! / You'll join the high fliers / who soar to high heights." At the same time, he won't delude the starry-eyed upstart about the pitfalls of life: "You can get all hung up / in a prickle-ly perch. / And your gang will fly on. / You'll be left in a Lurch."

But fear not! Dr. Seuss, with his inimitable illustrations and exhilarating rhymes, is convinced ("98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed") that success is imminent. As long as you remember "to be dexterous and deft. And NEVER mix up your right foot with your left," things should work out. (All ages) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:44 -0400)

Advice in rhyme for proceeding in life; weathering fear, loneliness, and confusion; and being in charge of your actions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,566,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible