Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

by Dr. Seuss

English (256)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (258)
This is my favorite Dr. Seuss book and perhaps my favorite children's book. My parents gave me this book when I graduated from high school. ( )
  GreenLightGirl | Feb 5, 2016 |
This book can be a good lead into discussing what students' future hold, how they can change their future, etc.
  charity_thurman | Jan 29, 2016 |
Dr. Seus is a very brilliant author. The book explained no matter what happen in life, push through it and make it happen. That people go places with many ups and downs. Life through many choices and what to choose but you do what is best. Get out and explore, you might not do everything right or end where you want but you are trying everything. "Oh the places you'll go" was given to me when I graduated high school and never read till now. This book has illustrated my life exactly, I have failed and failed but I am never gonna give up. ( )
  KourtneyPhillips | Jan 26, 2016 |
One of Dr. Seuss's most beloved books,"Oh, The Places You'll Go!" is the perfect example of a "Children's Book" that is really for all ages. This beloved book teaches the psychology of succeeding and failing in our lives and our reactions to both. It teaches us to try new things, to be adventurous even if we are afraid to do so. "And when things start to happen,don't worry. Don't stew. Just go right along. You'll start happening too." Everyone will have moments in their life where their afraid of change. But this book says its okay, because it happens to everyone and you'll get through it. A good way to incorporate this into the classroom would be to have the students think about times they have have something new and scary and how they handled it. It would be a good game too, to see if people have gone to the same places or experienced the same things. ( )
  brittanyhamann | Dec 3, 2015 |
Oh the places you will go! is a great book for children of all ages. This book emphasizes on how in real life there will be times where you have to make the right decision. Sometimes you have to take the right path in order to get where you want to be. Or sometimes there will be times where you get lost, where you take the wrong path at first but then you realize it and turn back around. I love this book because it also reminds you that it is okay to get lost because sooner or later you will find the right path. I also really like the pictures in this book because they are colorful and unique. I would use this book in the classroom because of the message. ( )
  klytle | Dec 1, 2015 |
e auteur heeft ook hier weer een stevig absurd verhaal gecreëerd dat je meesleept doorheen zijn wondere wereld, waarin je van de ene verbazing in de andere valt.
Het vertelstandpunt vanuit het jongetje dwingt je tot kiezen en meeleven. Zo leidt dit boek ook tot reflecteren en vertalen naar je eigen, herkenbare wereld.
De tekst op rijm is doordacht geconstrueerd en leest vlot.
De fantasierijke woordenschat wekt verwondering op en dwingt respect af.
En doordat het hoogst absurde, quasi-nonsens-gehalte gelinkt blijft aan de herkenbare realiteit, verlies je nergens het spoor.
De fantasierijke prenten in ouderwets aandoende kleuren versterken de tekst en vice versa. Te gekke figuren met een grote beweeglijkheid en overduidelijke expressies loodsen je doorheen de absurde, eigengereide wereld van Dr. Seuss, waarin het goed vertoeven is.

This is a great inspirational story that gives children hope for the future. Great to use at the end of the year.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Congratulations!
Today is your day.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a story to help children with their rhyming skills. Throughout the story the main character is traveling to far and near places. He ventures into lands that all different. He gets scared one place, happy at another, and so on. The story is about how children should not be afraid of experiencing the world. In fact, after visiting new places you can gain appreciation for your home and how secure and known it is to you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679805273, Hardcover)

Inspirational yet honest, and always rhythmically rollicking, Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a perfect sendoff for children, 1 to 100, entering any new phase of their lives. Kindergartners, graduate students, newlyweds, newly employeds--all will glean shiny pearls of wisdom about the big, bountiful future. The incomparable Dr. Seuss rejoices in the potential everyone has to fulfill their wildest dreams: "You'll be on your way up! / You'll be seeing great sights! / You'll join the high fliers / who soar to high heights." At the same time, he won't delude the starry-eyed upstart about the pitfalls of life: "You can get all hung up / in a prickle-ly perch. / And your gang will fly on. / You'll be left in a Lurch."

But fear not! Dr. Seuss, with his inimitable illustrations and exhilarating rhymes, is convinced ("98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed") that success is imminent. As long as you remember "to be dexterous and deft. And NEVER mix up your right foot with your left," things should work out. (All ages) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:59 -0400)

Advice in rhyme for proceeding in life; weathering fear, loneliness, and confusion; and being in charge of your actions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,024,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible