Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

by Dr. Seuss

5,957196701 (4.31)36

English (195)  Dutch (1)  All languages (196)
I was first given this book as a present when I graduated high school. At first I was a little thrown off as to why I was given a child’s book at such a mature and important time of my life, until I read it.
This book addresses all ages and all graduates from preschool to high school, to getting your masters. As a child, this book has wonderful illustrations and fun rhyming words that make it so exciting. But as an adult, this book is a fun way to get yourself motivated for the next chapter in your life. Dr. Seuss’ words can be broken apart and found to have a stronger meaning that we realized as a child. Dr. Seuss has a special talent of writing about life and the responsibilities to come in a fun and easy way that even children can understand.
Every time I find myself becoming more unmotivated or just in a slump, I take this book out and read it as many times as I need to, to get myself back to my happy moods and motivated lifestyle.
The illustrations and motivating words give me goose bumps every time that I read this book. There is so many bright and inviting colors, so many crazy, imaginative characters. I love every bit of this book more than any other children’s book out there.
Overall this book gives adults and children a fresh pair of eyes to view the world when they need it most. I highly recommend that this book be used in any classroom setting when learning about rhyming or when preparing students for graduation. ( )
  lfasce1 | Oct 21, 2014 |
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Oh, The Placees You'll Go by Dr. Seuss is a book of encouragement. The story tells of a boy going to many places and he runs into obstacles. It is a metaphoric book about life. For everything you do, there are going to be consequences and for every success there are going to be obstacles. It is kind of hard explaining that to children, because they are so innocent and they really do not look past their hand in front of their faces, but Seuss applies humor and nonsense words, making it easier for kids to understand. Children can take away so much from this book. They can learn all about believing in themselves, dealing with self-doubt, and assuring the reader that in the end everything will be okay. Positive ressurance and hope are definitely what you need in this world. ( )
  Nijania | Oct 4, 2014 |
Oh the places you'll go by Dr. Seuss is one of my favorite books I have read. It is a dedication to a group go graduates and the book has been read in many other graduations and schools. It is an encouragement message brilliantly written in a rhyming pattern. Dr Seuss uses several repeating characters in his books making it easy to compare characters between texts. Some of his books seem to not make much sense to some people but the truth is that kids love his books and he does a wonderful job illustrating them as well. I think one of the best things about Dr. Seuss's books it that they have several themes. I have given this book as a graduation present and I think it's a must read and must have. ( )
  cvarela | Oct 1, 2014 |
Oh, the Places You’ll Go!
“Oh, the Places You’ll Go” by Dr. Seuss is a must read for everyone of all ages! First, who doesn’t love Dr. Seuss and his whimsical use of words that rhyme and jump across the pages. His use of language is incredible! “I’m sorry to say so but, sadly it’s true that Bang-ups and Hang-ups can happen to you!” The words force you to keep reading with the sing-song like rhyme and fun words he creates. The writing is engaging and keeps your attention through this lengthy book; however, the reader doesn’t even realize how many pages there are because they are so captivated. The illustrations are just as wonderful. They are classic Dr. Seuss colors of yellows, reds, and blues and he didn’t fail us with his creativity in these drawings either. Elephants on roller skates and crooked houses all have readers top to take in the drawings along with the text. Finally, the book pushes the reader to deal with tough issues without lecturing. Readers don’t even see straight through the meaning, it is inferred. For example, “You can get so confused that you’ll start in to race down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space, headed, I fear toward a most useless place.” As the story continues Dr. Seuss gets the reader in a better place, “Somehow you’ll escape all that waiting and staying. You’ll find the bright places where Boom Bands are playing.” The big idea is to deal with tough issues and choices as a child. (Love, Love, Love this Book and I will read it the first day of school and the last day to my students!) ( )
  areyno5 | Oct 1, 2014 |
This is a great inspirational story that gives children hope for the future. Great to use at the end of the year.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Congratulations!
Today is your day.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a story to help children with their rhyming skills. Throughout the story the main character is traveling to far and near places. He ventures into lands that all different. He gets scared one place, happy at another, and so on. The story is about how children should not be afraid of experiencing the world. In fact, after visiting new places you can gain appreciation for your home and how secure and known it is to you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679805273, Hardcover)

Inspirational yet honest, and always rhythmically rollicking, Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a perfect sendoff for children, 1 to 100, entering any new phase of their lives. Kindergartners, graduate students, newlyweds, newly employeds--all will glean shiny pearls of wisdom about the big, bountiful future. The incomparable Dr. Seuss rejoices in the potential everyone has to fulfill their wildest dreams: "You'll be on your way up! / You'll be seeing great sights! / You'll join the high fliers / who soar to high heights." At the same time, he won't delude the starry-eyed upstart about the pitfalls of life: "You can get all hung up / in a prickle-ly perch. / And your gang will fly on. / You'll be left in a Lurch."

But fear not! Dr. Seuss, with his inimitable illustrations and exhilarating rhymes, is convinced ("98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed") that success is imminent. As long as you remember "to be dexterous and deft. And NEVER mix up your right foot with your left," things should work out. (All ages) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:44 -0400)

Advice in rhyme for proceeding in life; weathering fear, loneliness, and confusion; and being in charge of your actions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,388,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible