Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

by Dr. Seuss

6,004200694 (4.31)36
Recently added byTatumH, Sarah_P, Guy.Estes, UOMills, rroussey, 2012, PlainKate, CIELVIU, private library

English (199)  Dutch (1)  All languages (200)
This is a cute book about a child as they set out into the world and we follow them seeing what life throws at them.
I would recommend this book for children who are 3rd grade and above.
I like this book because it illustrates reality that children can encounter in the world.
  AmyGelle | Nov 21, 2014 |
This story tells of a boy going to many places and he runs into obstacles.He keeps going and pushing forward through every obstacle he runs into. It teaches how sometimes in life you will fail, but if you keep at it you will exceed.This book is about believing in yourself as you go through your life.

Reaction :
This is another story I love and think everyone should read it to their children.

Classroom Extension
1. Have the students plan out their life. I will write some sentences on the board that they can choose 3 from and answer. For example, by the end of this school year, I hope to …By the time I am in Middle school, I want to,.,
2. Read on Dr. Seuss's birthday and talk about his life.
  AmberDimmitt | Nov 8, 2014 |
This book is deeply etched into my heart. The story is so strong but worded so simply. “Oh the places you’ll go.” Those words create a sense of excitement for the future and for life in general. The plot is relatable to every person alive, I believe. This is because the story talks of the endless possibilities of the future you can create for yourself but how there may be downfalls. All you have to do is dust yourself off and keep going.
The big idea is to believe in the choices you make and to always keep going. In the book it talks of making turns and you have to run with the decisions you’ve made even if they don’t lead you where you were aiming. ( )
  StephanieWeiner | Nov 4, 2014 |
Collections
Picture book
Grade K-3
Modern fantasy
I love this book! This book is absolutely adorable. It is very creatively written with attractive and humorous illustrations. As with many of the Dr. Seuss books many of the words are made up but this just adds to the overall humor and creativity of the story. In the story you see a young boy traveling through many of life's moments. Some of these moments are triumphant and happy while others describe times you may feel lost and down on your luck. On page 16 Dr. Seuss writes, "Except when you don't. Because, sometimes, you won't. I'm sorry to say so but, sadly it's true that Bang-ups and Hang-ups can happen to you. You can get all hung up in a prickle-ly perch. And your gang will fly on. You'll be left in a lurch." I really like how Dr. Seuss added some sadder elements to the stroy because life is not always all sunshine, sometimes you must go through some darker spaces. Although there are some sadder parts Dr. Seuss always remedies with how you will get out of them. He writes, "Somehow you'll escape all that waiting and staying. You'll find the bright places where boom bands are playing." I love the overall message and creativity of this story can be a great motivational story for people of many ages. ( )
  danielleshorr | Oct 26, 2014 |
As much as I love all Dr. Seuss books, I must admit that this is my favorite. One of the biggest things I like about this book is that the author puts the reader in the eyes of the protagonist. The book is written in second person and uses a lot of future tense throughout the story. I feel that this creates a true connection with the reader because it talks of all of the possibilities. As a reader, we don't know where our future will take us, and that is what this book is all about. Such possibilities include "a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted. But mostly they're darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin! Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in?" I think putting the reader in that situation allows for so much creativity and exploration of the mind, and that's possibly what I love the most!
I also am a huge fan of the artwork, as I am with every Dr. Seuss book. Dr. Seuss illustrates his own books using many different styles of media, such as watercolor or pencil. Just like a true cartoonist, he uses lines to express motion of objects. "Somehow you'll escape all that waiting and staying. You'll find the bright places where Boom Bands are playing". In the illustration to accompany this page, Dr. Seuss shows a person playing a unique type of trumpet. Several lines are used to show the movement of air and the loud sounds coming from the trumpet.
The main idea of this book is about the adventure of life. How throughout life you will find hardships. "You'll come down from the Lurch with an unpleasant bump. And the chances are, then, that you'll be in a Slump". In life, you will face times of loneliness, fear, and confusion. However, you must remember that you are in charge of your own actions and through those actions, you can succeed. "And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.) ( )
  Andrewturner | Oct 25, 2014 |
This is a great inspirational story that gives children hope for the future. Great to use at the end of the year.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Congratulations!
Today is your day.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a story to help children with their rhyming skills. Throughout the story the main character is traveling to far and near places. He ventures into lands that all different. He gets scared one place, happy at another, and so on. The story is about how children should not be afraid of experiencing the world. In fact, after visiting new places you can gain appreciation for your home and how secure and known it is to you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679805273, Hardcover)

Inspirational yet honest, and always rhythmically rollicking, Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a perfect sendoff for children, 1 to 100, entering any new phase of their lives. Kindergartners, graduate students, newlyweds, newly employeds--all will glean shiny pearls of wisdom about the big, bountiful future. The incomparable Dr. Seuss rejoices in the potential everyone has to fulfill their wildest dreams: "You'll be on your way up! / You'll be seeing great sights! / You'll join the high fliers / who soar to high heights." At the same time, he won't delude the starry-eyed upstart about the pitfalls of life: "You can get all hung up / in a prickle-ly perch. / And your gang will fly on. / You'll be left in a Lurch."

But fear not! Dr. Seuss, with his inimitable illustrations and exhilarating rhymes, is convinced ("98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed") that success is imminent. As long as you remember "to be dexterous and deft. And NEVER mix up your right foot with your left," things should work out. (All ages) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:44 -0400)

Advice in rhyme for proceeding in life; weathering fear, loneliness, and confusion; and being in charge of your actions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,023,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible