Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

by Dr. Seuss

6,006206694 (4.31)36

English (205)  Dutch (1)  All languages (206)
From soaring to high heights and seeing great sights to being left in a Lurch on a prickle-ly perch, Dr. Seuss addresses life’s ups and downs with his trademark humorous verse and illustrations, while encouraging readers to find the success that lies within. This is a great book for young readers. It is fantasizing while informational. It comes included with vivid illustrations that Dr.S uess includes in all of his books. This is a great book to gets kids involved and laughing. The illustrations are fun and bright. The text is easy to read and large. ( )
  eoertl1 | Dec 10, 2014 |
This is a great story for talking about life's journies. The places are endless of what to do and where to go. Dedication is important. The pictures make the story fulfilled and easy to keep the children's attention. Grade-2nd
  Jessie32 | Dec 9, 2014 |
Dr. Seuss created a wonderful book, in my opinion! I liked this book for many reasons. I first liked the main message this book generates, which is that life is a journey, and ups and downs happen, but wherever you end up is truly meant to be. I liked that this main message can relate to anyone and everyone. It is generated to the idea of "life" which means that it can apply many, and they can interpret in in their own special way, which is a great trait!

I also liked the writing, it's rhyming characteristics made it flow from page to page, and the language was especially colorful and bright. The illustrations were bold like the writing, which I liked as well. As I normally like all Dr. Seuss books, I really can call this one of my favorites. It is a good read for younger ages, our age, and older, and a book that can apply to so many certainly deserves a good review. I would recommend this book to anyone and would use it in the classroom without a doubt! ( )
  Skaide1 | Dec 8, 2014 |
This book makes for a good questioning strategy. Students will generate questions while reading the nonsensical text, the questions must be relevant and seek clarification, and make personal connections to the text. A quilt activity was explained in Gabi's minilesson where the questions are posted on the board in the pattern to create a visual question-quilt.
  ecm014 | Dec 1, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. This book is my favorite Dr. Seuss book. One of the reasons why I like this book is because of the rhyming. The rhyming throughout the book makes it enjoyable to read. “Where you fly, you’ll be best of the best. Whenever you go, you will top all the rest.” Another reason why I like this book is because the book pushes the reader to think about their lives. The book is all about the ups and downs in life. It is also about the choices you make. There are some parts in the book that talk about having a great time. “You’ll join the high fliers who soar to high heights.” There are other parts of the book talk about not quite being where you want to be. “And when you’re in a Slump, you’re not in for much fun. Un-slumping yourself is not easily done.” The book also talks about making choices in life, and how those choices are not always easy. “Simple it’s not, I’m afraid you will find, for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind.” The big idea of this book is that throughout your life there will be ups, downs, and choices to make but you should keep pushing through because you can succeed. Just remember, “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.” ( )
  Chawki6 | Nov 29, 2014 |
This is a great inspirational story that gives children hope for the future. Great to use at the end of the year.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Congratulations!
Today is your day.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a story to help children with their rhyming skills. Throughout the story the main character is traveling to far and near places. He ventures into lands that all different. He gets scared one place, happy at another, and so on. The story is about how children should not be afraid of experiencing the world. In fact, after visiting new places you can gain appreciation for your home and how secure and known it is to you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679805273, Hardcover)

Inspirational yet honest, and always rhythmically rollicking, Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a perfect sendoff for children, 1 to 100, entering any new phase of their lives. Kindergartners, graduate students, newlyweds, newly employeds--all will glean shiny pearls of wisdom about the big, bountiful future. The incomparable Dr. Seuss rejoices in the potential everyone has to fulfill their wildest dreams: "You'll be on your way up! / You'll be seeing great sights! / You'll join the high fliers / who soar to high heights." At the same time, he won't delude the starry-eyed upstart about the pitfalls of life: "You can get all hung up / in a prickle-ly perch. / And your gang will fly on. / You'll be left in a Lurch."

But fear not! Dr. Seuss, with his inimitable illustrations and exhilarating rhymes, is convinced ("98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed") that success is imminent. As long as you remember "to be dexterous and deft. And NEVER mix up your right foot with your left," things should work out. (All ages) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:44 -0400)

Advice in rhyme for proceeding in life; weathering fear, loneliness, and confusion; and being in charge of your actions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,459,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible