Oh, the Places You'll Go [20th anniversary…

Oh, the Places You'll Go [20th anniversary edition] (edition 2010)

by Dr. Seuss

Title:Oh, the Places You'll Go [20th anniversary edition]
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (2010), Edition: 20th anniversary ed, Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Children's Lit & Picture Books, Ex Libris tgm
Tags:fiction, children, picture book, early reader, primary school, junior primary, rhyming text

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss

English (250)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (252)
Amazing book to show children that they can go anywhere and be anything they choose to be. ( )
  Blaire_Stewart | Nov 16, 2015 |
The main message of this storybook is that life can be difficult, amazing, scary, or saddening but it will be quite amazing.
For this story I enjoyed quite a bit about it. I enjoyed the writing style, the illustrations, and the way it made the reader think.
To start off, I absolutely loved the writing style the author used for this plot. When reading this story out loud, it was quite fun and I was able to really get into the rhythm of the words. I always love how Dr. Seuss uses such interesting phrases such as “Simple it’s not, you will find, for a mind maker upper, to make up his mind”. It is quite a unique way of writing that demands for the reader to truly focus while they are reading because of the unique phrasing and very unique words that the author creates.
The illustrations in this book capture the reader’s eye so easily. The bright colors, odd shapes, and unusual creatures and objects that are placed throughout the book only add to the fun nature of this book. One several pages there are creatures that are imagined for this story alone and I really enjoyed seeing those individualized characters placed in affective and adequate places. I was pleased with how the pictures really matched what was going on with the plot of the story. My favorite was when the main character was in a hot air balloon and when the story refereed to a time when you would not be successful, the hot air balloon popped and was stuck in a tree. It was a simple way to represent a possible sad time or a defeat without being overwhelming.
Lastly, I really enjoyed how this book made me think about my future and the possibilities that are in front of me. The book brought up how the “you” of the book would be successful and “top all of the rest” but also talks about how sometimes “you” will not be successful and be left behind resulting in a slump in your life. I was impressed that this book was able to encouraged me to be the best of the best while also acknowledging that sometimes life will cause us to get into a funk. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 15, 2015 |
OH THE PLACES YOU'LL GO! is a great book for children of all ages. This book talks about how sometimes there will be times where you have to make the right decision and take the right path and how there will also be times where you get lost, but it also says that it is ok because it happens to everyone. I also really like the pictures in this book because they are different and they make you think, which is good for children. Overall, I really liked this book because I really like the meaning that it has and I also really liked the pictures. ( )
  nhall002 | Nov 11, 2015 |
Good to teach to any age, great for transitioning into a new phase in life, teaching goals and about your future
  Stacey_Nava | Nov 8, 2015 |
This book is an inspirational book for kids. It would be a great encouragement for kids and maybe even older kids. Sometimes people need to know that anything is possible. ( )
  CSansing | Oct 20, 2015 |
e auteur heeft ook hier weer een stevig absurd verhaal gecreëerd dat je meesleept doorheen zijn wondere wereld, waarin je van de ene verbazing in de andere valt.
Het vertelstandpunt vanuit het jongetje dwingt je tot kiezen en meeleven. Zo leidt dit boek ook tot reflecteren en vertalen naar je eigen, herkenbare wereld.
De tekst op rijm is doordacht geconstrueerd en leest vlot.
De fantasierijke woordenschat wekt verwondering op en dwingt respect af.
En doordat het hoogst absurde, quasi-nonsens-gehalte gelinkt blijft aan de herkenbare realiteit, verlies je nergens het spoor.
De fantasierijke prenten in ouderwets aandoende kleuren versterken de tekst en vice versa. Te gekke figuren met een grote beweeglijkheid en overduidelijke expressies loodsen je doorheen de absurde, eigengereide wereld van Dr. Seuss, waarin het goed vertoeven is.
This is a great inspirational story that gives children hope for the future. Great to use at the end of the year.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr
Today is your day.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a story to help children with their rhyming skills. Throughout the story the main character is traveling to far and near places. He ventures into lands that all different. He gets scared one place, happy at another, and so on. The story is about how children should not be afraid of experiencing the world. In fact, after visiting new places you can gain appreciation for your home and how secure and known it is to you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679805273, Hardcover)

Inspirational yet honest, and always rhythmically rollicking, Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a perfect sendoff for children, 1 to 100, entering any new phase of their lives. Kindergartners, graduate students, newlyweds, newly employeds--all will glean shiny pearls of wisdom about the big, bountiful future. The incomparable Dr. Seuss rejoices in the potential everyone has to fulfill their wildest dreams: "You'll be on your way up! / You'll be seeing great sights! / You'll join the high fliers / who soar to high heights." At the same time, he won't delude the starry-eyed upstart about the pitfalls of life: "You can get all hung up / in a prickle-ly perch. / And your gang will fly on. / You'll be left in a Lurch."

But fear not! Dr. Seuss, with his inimitable illustrations and exhilarating rhymes, is convinced ("98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed") that success is imminent. As long as you remember "to be dexterous and deft. And NEVER mix up your right foot with your left," things should work out. (All ages) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:59 -0400)

Advice in rhyme for proceeding in life; weathering fear, loneliness, and confusion; and being in charge of your actions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,857,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible