Oh, the Places You'll Go [20th anniversary…

Oh, the Places You'll Go [20th anniversary edition] (edition 2010)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:skullduggery
Title:Oh, the Places You'll Go [20th anniversary edition]
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (2010), Edition: 20th anniversary ed, Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Children's Lit & Picture Books, Ex Libris tgm
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, children, picture book, early reader, primary school, junior primary, rhyming text

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss

English (273)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (275)
This book is a must-read and I really enjoyed it. My two favorite aspects of this book were the illustrations and the message that it portrays to the readers. The illustrations in this book are extremely colorful and a bit psychedelic. I thought that this was unique and it certainly caught my attention. I also like how the book is describing all of the potential that people have, and that there is so much that we can accomplish, we just have to get on our way. The big idea of this story is that people just have to start somewhere and work hard and they will reach great heights. ( )
  maddieburchell | May 3, 2016 |
I liked this book for many reasons. First, this book explains that the opportunities in life are endless. When people grow up they move on, and look for happiness while creating them self. I like how this book has rhyming words and repetitive phrases. I also like how this book shows drawings of the main character becoming a famous basketball player. This will show children that they can do anything if they put their mind to it. I also enjoyed how the language in this story was very motivating for the reader. The main idea of this story is the unknown may be scary, but it could also be really great.
  JessicaSparacino | Apr 26, 2016 |
Summary: This book describes a person’s journey of life. The poem states that we will all go down tough roads, some harder than others, we will go down a long path, but it will get us to where we need to be. Life is hard, it’ll knock us down, but we just have to keep getting back up. And at the end of our journey, it will all be worth it.
Personal Reaction: I read this book still, as a sophomore in college, this book helps me realize that there will be a light at the end of tunnel. Life has definitely put me on my butt several times, but each time I have gotten back up, slowly, but I got back up. I would recommend this book to every single person, of all ages.
Classroom Extension Ideas: 1.) We will make a path on the floor in our classroom to symbolize life and other obstacles we might face.
2.) Have some of the students create an obstacle on our path of life and ask them how they would overcome it
  Chelsey_Fodder | Apr 21, 2016 |
Summary:
Oh, The Places You'll Go! Follows a character who left town in search for a new place to live. While on his journey, he meets new people, sees new and exciting things and places, and even runs into obstacles. Despite the difficulties, he keeps going and finds that there will always be new places to go and exhilarating adventures to be had.

Personal Reaction:
Like many others, I received this book as a high school graduation gift. At first, I thought, "Oh, how cliche". However, once I read it, I fell in love with it. This book taught me that no matter what, wonderful things are in store for my future. I just have to stay focused and determined on my dreams and never give up.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have the students talk about what they want to do when they get older. (Future job, goals, etc.)
2. Have the students write about a time in their life when they faced a problem and how they overcame it.
  JennyDodson | Apr 21, 2016 |
Oh, the Places You’ll Go! by Sr. Seuss
Summary: This book is a classic. I have read it since I was a little girl. Throughout the book, it is explaining how to get to where you are going in life. It contemplates the different aspects of life that an individual chooses and how they make up their minds to get to the places they are going. This book tell these stories through very catchy poems that paint a fantastic visual about where life can take you and what you may encounter along the way.

Personal Reaction: The poems in this story have such a strong meaning. I feel that this book is a good read from first grade all up through college, because there are so many people and aspects of life where you find yourself in the same situation as the book.
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I would of course use the book as a biography for going over Dr. Seuss and the great life he had as an author.
2. Great for the images in the story, art is very important for young students, and with all the budget cuts in school along with losing art teachers, it would be a great way to incorporate art into a writing lesson.
3. Have the students create their own poetry based off of their characters they created.
  AlanaLedford | Apr 18, 2016 |
e auteur heeft ook hier weer een stevig absurd verhaal gecreëerd dat je meesleept doorheen zijn wondere wereld, waarin je van de ene verbazing in de andere valt.
Het vertelstandpunt vanuit het jongetje dwingt je tot kiezen en meeleven. Zo leidt dit boek ook tot reflecteren en vertalen naar je eigen, herkenbare wereld.
De tekst op rijm is doordacht geconstrueerd en leest vlot.
De fantasierijke woordenschat wekt verwondering op en dwingt respect af.
En doordat het hoogst absurde, quasi-nonsens-gehalte gelinkt blijft aan de herkenbare realiteit, verlies je nergens het spoor.
De fantasierijke prenten in ouderwets aandoende kleuren versterken de tekst en vice versa. Te gekke figuren met een grote beweeglijkheid en overduidelijke expressies loodsen je doorheen de absurde, eigengereide wereld van Dr. Seuss, waarin het goed vertoeven is.

This is a great inspirational story that gives children hope for the future. Great to use at the end of the year.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Congratulations!
Today is your day.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a story to help children with their rhyming skills. Throughout the story the main character is traveling to far and near places. He ventures into lands that all different. He gets scared one place, happy at another, and so on. The story is about how children should not be afraid of experiencing the world. In fact, after visiting new places you can gain appreciation for your home and how secure and known it is to you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679805273, Hardcover)

Inspirational yet honest, and always rhythmically rollicking, Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a perfect sendoff for children, 1 to 100, entering any new phase of their lives. Kindergartners, graduate students, newlyweds, newly employeds--all will glean shiny pearls of wisdom about the big, bountiful future. The incomparable Dr. Seuss rejoices in the potential everyone has to fulfill their wildest dreams: "You'll be on your way up! / You'll be seeing great sights! / You'll join the high fliers / who soar to high heights." At the same time, he won't delude the starry-eyed upstart about the pitfalls of life: "You can get all hung up / in a prickle-ly perch. / And your gang will fly on. / You'll be left in a Lurch."

But fear not! Dr. Seuss, with his inimitable illustrations and exhilarating rhymes, is convinced ("98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed") that success is imminent. As long as you remember "to be dexterous and deft. And NEVER mix up your right foot with your left," things should work out. (All ages) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:59 -0400)

Advice in rhyme for proceeding in life; weathering fear, loneliness, and confusion; and being in charge of your actions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible