Speak, Platinum Edition by Laurie Halse…

Speak, Platinum Edition (edition 2006)

by Laurie Halse Anderson

11,116640344 (4.12)1 / 348
Member:LakshmiChaitanya
Title:Speak, Platinum Edition
Authors:Laurie Halse Anderson
Info:Penguin (2006), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback, 198 pages

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

English (632)  Italian (3)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (638)
Haunting. I couldn't put it down. ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
ALL AGES - Can read this Gem!

According to me a Prologue or the 1st Chapter of a book is THE reflection →

Be Tougher Than Your Life Is - 2016 Motivation

Herewith my review!

Type of Characters and my choices according to pictures! :

Eminem - Not Afraid

Relationship development

Chapter Development

This book made me cry, and laugh and cry!!

I had WTF moments, laughing moments then sobbing like a baby moments.

I did not know how to do this review – and it took me about 2 weeks to straighten my thoughts regarding this little gem: →

Melinda Sordino – A good girl who’s life changed in one night

She went to a party – got drunk – got raped – and when she called the police all her friends turned against her, because they thought she set them up because of underage drinking! She was bullied a lot after this incidents!

BECAUSE MELINDA DID NOT SPEAK!

Nouela - The Sound of Silence (Amazing cover of Simon & Garfunkel's song)

WHEN IT HURTS - 2016 MOTIVATION

This book take you through her sadness and depression step by step and her healing process.
She did not tell her parents what was going on – because if you read this gem her parents never really cared about her – if they did speak to her it was BLAH-BLAH-BLAH I cannot understand parents like that – my kids and me have such a good friendship we share about anything and everything!

At school all her friends abandoned her – then she met this new girl – well the friend was a bit of a pain as she only cared for herself – but she was a friend in the end who helped Melinda, even if it was only a person to take her to parties and to climb out of her shell!

I do not really want to give more info I think this is just such a good book to read!

But I want to tell teenagers the following: →

1. DO not leave your drinks unattended at parties

2. Stay with your friends do not leave the group even to go to the toilet alone, if you do always tell your friends where you are going

3. Do not leave parties with people you do not know

4. Trust a person or a friends SPEAK to somebody do not be afraid if something like this happened to you IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT!

5. Do not hurt yourself seek people to assist you with your depression and coping skills.

6. Look for signs of depression in your friends and family members – they will not know how to cope with this

A video clip of a young girl with depression, just see in the end SHE is a HERO YOU CAN BE ONE 2 DO NOT EVER GIVE UP

7. Do not think you are crazy if you are depressed it is a chemical imbalance, sometimes caused by incidents out of your control like – like this book a good girl Melinda Speak

8. BE Strong BE YOURSELF – be brave, and look after yourself – THERE IS JUST ONE YOU BELIEVE IT OR NOT and even if you do not think so – PEOPLE DO LOVE YOU!!!!!!

A few paragraphs / quotes → I loved
Just quoting and some funny paragraphs:

”Better the devil you know than the Trojan you don’t”

Spanish teacher: “No English rule” – I don’t know why she hasn’t figured it out yet. If she taught us all the swearwords the first day, we would have done whatever she wanted us to do the rest of the year”

“SOUL”, he writes on the board. The clay streaks the word like dried blood. “This is where you can find your soul, if you dare. Where you can touch that part of you that you’ve never dare look at before. Do not come here and ask me to show you how to draw a face. Ask me to help you find the wind”

PROVE THEM WRONG - Motivational Video

Epilogue! →
AMAZEBALLS – That’s it!! Read the book you will not be sorry

Recommend to the following type of readers: →
Over 10 upwards etc.

Why my rating?→
OMG this book was amazing do not know how to describe it otherwise!

Will I read it again?→
Maybe not this year but I will definitely again in the future

My feelings while reading this and to the author: →

Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |
Heavy subject matter but great read. Not recommended for younger readers but an important read. ( )
  mhowel5 | Sep 13, 2018 |
I’m a retired high school English teacher, and I’m embarrassed to say I wasn’t familiar with this book until a friend gave it to me. I read a lot of YA literature while I was teaching, but for some reason never came across “Speak.” I thought the book was so accurately written that it was hard to believe that the author wasn’t a teenager. Anderson nailed the ninth grader on the head. My only negative comment is that some of the teacher characters are unflattering charactures, which is so often the case with high school books and movies. One teacher, however, Mr. Freeman, the art teacher, is much like many of the art teachers I’ve worked with. They get the best out of kids other teachers just can’t seem to reach. This book was written in 1999, but it isn’t in the least dated. Quite the contrary. It speaks more now than ever to teens, both boys and girls. One very discouraging thing I read in the book was a comment by the author in the Q and A after the story ended. She said scores of letters and e-mails from teen boys made the same comment: why was the main character Melinda upset when she was raped? This is almost too sad to be believed; however, after teaching 15-year-old boys for 40 years, I’m not surprised by this. Just saddened. And I’m a man. ( )
  DanDiercks | Sep 10, 2018 |
I wouldn't normally give a five star review to a book I didin't enjoy.
Speak is an exceptional book; well written - emotional. The reader will feel Melinda's pain. And that's not easy or comfortable.
It is the story of a girl who was raped during the summer before she begins high school. It is a sad and depressing book, filled with pain. But these things are real. I have been lucky in my life (so far at least) not to have experienced anything even remotely as traumatic as what Melinda experienced. Hopefully I never will. Hopefully my children never will.
I generally read for fun and relaxation, and this book was not fun or relaxing. It was powerful, and worthwhile. ( )
  fingerpost | Aug 25, 2018 |
The plot is gripping and the characters are powerfully drawn, but it is its raw and unvarnished look at the dynamics of the high school experience that makes this a novel that will be hard for readers to forget.
added by khuggard | editKirkus Reviews

In her YA fiction debut, Anderson perfectly captures the harsh conformity of high-school cliques and one teen's struggle to find acceptance from her peers. Melinda's sarcastic wit, honesty, and courage make her a memorable character whose ultimate triumph will inspire and empower readers.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Debbie Carton

Anderson expresses the emotions and the struggles of teenagers perfectly. Melinda's pain is palpable, and readers will totally empathize with her. This is a compelling book, with sharp, crisp writing that draws readers in, engulfing them in the story.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Dina Sherman

But the book's overall gritty realism and Melinda's hard-won metamorphosis will leave readers touched and inspired.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

added by khuggard | editAmazon.com, Jennifer Hubert

Laurie Halse Andersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Correa, María MercedesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sandy Bernstein, who helped me find my voice, and to my husband Greg, who listens
It is my first morning of high school.

This book describes the struggle of a teenage girl to find her voice. You watch the character fall into depression, go mute, drop tremendously in school, and isolate herself from society. As if feeling unsafe in the world isn't enough, Melinda doesn't even feel safe in her own mind. And why? Maybe because all of her once best friends refuse to talk to her for busting an end of the summer party. Or perhaps it has something to do with the fact that her parents couldn't take less of an interest in her, and refuse to communicate as they get sucked into their workaholic lives. Deep down, Melinda Sordino knows the reason that her life has turned into a living hell. The only way to escape this whirlwind of torture is to speak, but that's not as easy as it may seem.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142407321, Paperback)

Since the beginning of the school year, high school freshman Melinda has found that it's been getting harder and harder for her to speak out loud: "My throat is always sore, my lips raw.... Every time I try to talk to my parents or a teacher, I sputter or freeze.... It's like I have some kind of spastic laryngitis." What could have caused Melinda to suddenly fall mute? Could it be due to the fact that no one at school is speaking to her because she called the cops and got everyone busted at the seniors' big end-of-summer party? Or maybe it's because her parents' only form of communication is Post-It notes written on their way out the door to their nine-to-whenever jobs. While Melinda is bothered by these things, deep down she knows the real reason why she's been struck mute...

Laurie Halse Anderson's first novel is a stunning and sympathetic tribute to the teenage outcast. The triumphant ending, in which Melinda finds her voice, is cause for cheering (while many readers might also shed a tear or two). After reading Speak, it will be hard for any teen to look at the class scapegoat again without a measure of compassion and understanding for that person--who may be screaming beneath the silence. (Ages 13 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

A traumatic event near the end of the summer has a devastating effect on Melinda's freshman year in high school.

Laurie Halse Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,520,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible