Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Member:RosanaSantana
Title:Speak
Authors:Laurie Halse Anderson
Info:Square Fish (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:LIS 722, YA, Realistic fiction, coming of age, parties, drinking, rape, art, communication

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

English (613)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All (617)
Can't wait to go hear this author speak on the 18th. I loved her book Fever and really enjoyed this one as well. She really has amazing versatility to be able to write fabulous historical fiction as well as very realistic YA fiction. I wasn't thrilled with the end of the book though. It felt too contrived and far fetched. Most girls don't get the chance to defend themselves against their attackers a second time. But the first 1/4 of this book made up for any short comings. Great voice! ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
This was a tough read and I never would have heard of it had it not been an assignment for my kid. There's nothing particularly graphic in the book but being a witness to Mel's feelings of despair and solitude were painful. ( )
  amcheri | Jan 24, 2017 |
This is a very well-written YA book. When we read literature meant for Young Adults, it helps us understand dealing with the anxieties and stress that they face in their lives. They are slightly older than children and yet younger than adults. So, what sets this story different? Often in the rebellious phase during teenage, we choose to scream, express anger via a very visible body communication. When someone is damaged and crushed and cannot muster up courage to confront the attacker, they keep mum because they are ashamed of being the victim; there is a stigma with being victimized. Speaking up takes courage, a lot of guts but mostly support from people who understand the pain and anguish the victim undergoes. Melinda from this story goes mute also because of lack of empathy from her parents and victim-blaming from her peers. Its extremely important to focus on mental health of young adults. The school often is not the best place to do so. Unfortunately, when parents fail to provide comfort it breaks such kids. Some are tough and valiantly battle their way. I only wish that we as society recognize and put some love back into these kids lives. A voice of hope and comfort is the strength we can provide them.

Sexual assault, bullying, eating disorders, low self-esteem - these are increasingly being discussed in schools now. While there are guidance counsellors available in american schools, India doesn't have any such support systems in their schools yet. It becomes extremely difficult amidst the attention and emphasis paid on academic records than nurturing mental health and an overall well-being of teenagers these days. School and academics have become more competitive and cut-throat now than ever. Ten years ago, teens would talk, discuss, approach teachers and their friends with problems. Now, everyone is too caught up in their own little world facilitated by electronic devices that keep them entertained and also, alas! aloof from their peers and teachers. While the goal of studying in school environment is to learn to adjust and live with people, it can seriously also defeat this very purpose when authorities fail to recognize signs of trauma/distress in teens. The nuclear family has become way too individual now to demand attention from each other. Its the collective responsibility of parents, teachers and school authorities to guide such teens when they notice something irregular with them. Not every teen will approach regarding their problems. I feel strongly that schools must develop such 'easy approach' so that kids do speak up fearlessly.

I hope kids in schools read more such literature. We need to identify Post-traumatic stress disorder in children and help them deal with it. Not everyone finds their way and voice back like Melinda in ordinary life. Art as therapy though not consciously used or realized by Mel is another positive feature of this story. This book has been an eye opener to become more involved with the emotional distress that teens face. They are fighting their lone battles. A little help and kindness from parents, friends and society will help them get past these demons and lead better lives. Thank you, Laurie Halse Anderson for writing this book. ( )
  Sharayu_Gangurde | Jan 19, 2017 |
a novel about the aftermath of a young girl's rape. I think it would resonate deeply with teen aged girls. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Dec 27, 2016 |
While i was reading speak Novel by Laurie Halse Anderson i thought it was a really great book
The character melinda was very relatable.In the book something happens to her and she doesnt
Speak to anyone at all.This book falls into the fiction genre you would fall in love and break up with this book but want more at the same time
In the book i noticed that when going back to school melinda seems very shy and hesitant
A lot of the students at her school seem not to like her very much.The most interesting part was…...well i have so many do you really think i could just pick one lol.But one that stands out the most is when she writes down what happened to her at the party she attended.You can tell something happened because of the constant flash backs she has
I learned that when you see something wrong with someone and they seem to act
Different from how they use to act don’t be a bully. Just ask them what’s wrong are they ok do they need someone to talk to.
A strength is It brought these issues to life but as a reader i didn’t like the fact that even though that happened to her she could go on about life. Her cry for help seemed to be obvious but the fact that the kids didn’t care i could see myself acting the same way she did keeping quiet until someone cared enough to wanna know.
I could connect to melinda because sometimes I don’t want to talk to anyone and I wanna see who’s gonna actually care when i just stay by myself and change everything.

I think that speak is one of the greatest book that I ever read i could relate to it and I believe others would relate to. I give this book 5 stars and i recommend you read it to.
  yajanique | Dec 22, 2016 |
This book is about a girl named melinda Sorodino who begins her freshmen year at Marryweather high school. The summer following up to her freshmen year seemed to have been great until an incident happened. Because of this Melindas life flips completelty. Melinda is not the type of girl to look for friends or try to socialize, in fact she spends most oh her time in a janitors closet.Many of the people at the school doslike her because of her actions.
added by erick_2413 | editLos Angeles Times, alvarez erick (Dec 9, 2016)

The plot is gripping and the characters are powerfully drawn, but it is its raw and unvarnished look at the dynamics of the high school experience that makes this a novel that will be hard for readers to forget.
added by khuggard | editKirkus Reviews

In her YA fiction debut, Anderson perfectly captures the harsh conformity of high-school cliques and one teen's struggle to find acceptance from her peers. Melinda's sarcastic wit, honesty, and courage make her a memorable character whose ultimate triumph will inspire and empower readers.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Debbie Carton

Anderson expresses the emotions and the struggles of teenagers perfectly. Melinda's pain is palpable, and readers will totally empathize with her. This is a compelling book, with sharp, crisp writing that draws readers in, engulfing them in the story.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Dina Sherman

But the book's overall gritty realism and Melinda's hard-won metamorphosis will leave readers touched and inspired.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

Laurie Halse Andersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Correa, María MercedesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sandy Bernstein, who helped me find my voice, and to my husband Greg, who listens
It is my first morning of high school.

This book describes the struggle of a teenage girl to find her voice. You watch the character fall into depression, go mute, drop tremendously in school, and isolate herself from society. As if feeling unsafe in the world isn't enough, Melinda doesn't even feel safe in her own mind. And why? Maybe because all of her once best friends refuse to talk to her for busting an end of the summer party. Or perhaps it has something to do with the fact that her parents couldn't take less of an interest in her, and refuse to communicate as they get sucked into their workaholic lives. Deep down, Melinda Sordino knows the reason that her life has turned into a living hell. The only way to escape this whirlwind of torture is to speak, but that's not as easy as it may seem.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142407321, Paperback)

Since the beginning of the school year, high school freshman Melinda has found that it's been getting harder and harder for her to speak out loud: "My throat is always sore, my lips raw.... Every time I try to talk to my parents or a teacher, I sputter or freeze.... It's like I have some kind of spastic laryngitis." What could have caused Melinda to suddenly fall mute? Could it be due to the fact that no one at school is speaking to her because she called the cops and got everyone busted at the seniors' big end-of-summer party? Or maybe it's because her parents' only form of communication is Post-It notes written on their way out the door to their nine-to-whenever jobs. While Melinda is bothered by these things, deep down she knows the real reason why she's been struck mute...

Laurie Halse Anderson's first novel is a stunning and sympathetic tribute to the teenage outcast. The triumphant ending, in which Melinda finds her voice, is cause for cheering (while many readers might also shed a tear or two). After reading Speak, it will be hard for any teen to look at the class scapegoat again without a measure of compassion and understanding for that person--who may be screaming beneath the silence. (Ages 13 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

A traumatic event near the end of the summer has a devastating effect on Melinda's freshman year in high school.

Laurie Halse Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,498,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible