Speak: 10th Anniversary Edition by Laurie…

Speak: 10th Anniversary Edition (edition 2009)

by Laurie Halse Anderson

9,260550323 (4.13)1 / 304
Member:Carmenere
Title:Speak: 10th Anniversary Edition
Authors:Laurie Halse Anderson
Info:Speak (2009), Edition: 10 Anv, Paperback, 240 pages
Tags:chagrin falls booksale 5-2012

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

English (546)  Italian (2)  French (1)  All languages (549)
This book was full of strong subjects and I knew that before getting into it. Honestly, that’s the reason I picked it up. I heard so many great things and heard it was like When Reason Breaks a book I read and loved (actually, the person said Speak was better than it). But, I beg to differ. I was really excited to read this book especially after reading When Reason Breaks, but it did not live up to my expectations.
Melinda is a great character, I really enjoyed her, even though at times I was confused with why she was doing what she was doing. But, who I am to judge when I have never went through something she did, not even close. I believe that she handled everything well, more than well, honestly. I would have broken down way before she did. It was hard seeing her struggles and I just wanted something fantastic to happen to her. She deserved happiness.
The reason that I gave this book three stars, even though I enjoyed the main character, was that it was so predictable. I knew what was coming, I knew why she was acting the way she did, I knew everything from the moment I started. It didn’t take long for me to see how everything would work out. With that being said, even with me not enjoying this book as much, I would love to see this book have a sequel. I think going on with Melinda’s story and learning more about her would be wonderful.
Even with her tough issues and her aching, she held on and showed so much fight and that was something so inspirational. This book, without a doubt, is inspirational in more ways than one and that is why I recommend it to everyone. This has tough issues and makes you upset while reading it, but it makes you believe in something more. Melinda makes you believe. ( )
  erica_novelink | May 5, 2015 |
Fantastic. Well written. Presents a challenging topic with class and in a way that is not overbearing or too graphic. A must read for teens. ( )
  katherineemilysmith | May 4, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. I loved how the main character, Melanie stood up for herself. ( )
  harleyqgrayson02 | Apr 23, 2015 |

I too got a little exasperated, but the ending was worthwhile. I just have trouble understanding what caused the big cusp in the main character's development - she was hiding, and all of a sudden, it seemed to me, she just burst out. Maybe it was exactly that, a buildup of pressure until a (metaphoric) explosion. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
YALSA Outstanding Books for the College Bound. RGG: Important topic - rape, peer issues; presented in an appealing manner.
  rgruberhighschool | Apr 13, 2015 |
The plot is gripping and the characters are powerfully drawn, but it is its raw and unvarnished look at the dynamics of the high school experience that makes this a novel that will be hard for readers to forget.
added by khuggard | editKirkus Reviews

In her YA fiction debut, Anderson perfectly captures the harsh conformity of high-school cliques and one teen's struggle to find acceptance from her peers. Melinda's sarcastic wit, honesty, and courage make her a memorable character whose ultimate triumph will inspire and empower readers.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Debbie Carton

Anderson expresses the emotions and the struggles of teenagers perfectly. Melinda's pain is palpable, and readers will totally empathize with her. This is a compelling book, with sharp, crisp writing that draws readers in, engulfing them in the story.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Dina Sherman

But the book's overall gritty realism and Melinda's hard-won metamorphosis will leave readers touched and inspired.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

added by khuggard | editAmazon.com, Jennifer Hubert

Laurie Halse Andersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Correa, María MercedesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sandy Bernstein, who helped me find my voice, and to my husband Greg, who listens
It is my first morning of high school.

This book describes the struggle of a teenage girl to find her voice. You watch the character fall into depression, go mute, drop tremendously in school, and isolate herself from society. As if feeling unsafe in the world isn't enough, Melinda doesn't even feel safe in her own mind. And why? Maybe because all of her once best friends refuse to talk to her for busting an end of the summer party. Or perhaps it has something to do with the fact that her parents couldn't take less of an interest in her, and refuse to communicate as they get sucked into their workaholic lives. Deep down, Melinda Sordino knows the reason that her life has turned into a living hell. The only way to escape this whirlwind of torture is to speak, but that's not as easy as it may seem.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142407321, Paperback)

Since the beginning of the school year, high school freshman Melinda has found that it's been getting harder and harder for her to speak out loud: "My throat is always sore, my lips raw.... Every time I try to talk to my parents or a teacher, I sputter or freeze.... It's like I have some kind of spastic laryngitis." What could have caused Melinda to suddenly fall mute? Could it be due to the fact that no one at school is speaking to her because she called the cops and got everyone busted at the seniors' big end-of-summer party? Or maybe it's because her parents' only form of communication is Post-It notes written on their way out the door to their nine-to-whenever jobs. While Melinda is bothered by these things, deep down she knows the real reason why she's been struck mute...

Laurie Halse Anderson's first novel is a stunning and sympathetic tribute to the teenage outcast. The triumphant ending, in which Melinda finds her voice, is cause for cheering (while many readers might also shed a tear or two). After reading Speak, it will be hard for any teen to look at the class scapegoat again without a measure of compassion and understanding for that person--who may be screaming beneath the silence. (Ages 13 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:34 -0400)

A traumatic event near the end of the summer has a devastating effect on Melinda's freshman year in high school.

Laurie Halse Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,217,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible