King Richard III by William Shakespeare

King Richard III

by William Shakespeare

Series: Histories (3)

The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: This is a mystery involving Richard III and the two princes in the tower, and seems to have garnered a bit of respect. It's a great read on its own, and would make a great companion read to Shakespeare's Richard III.
    We Speak No Treason by Rosemary Hawley Jarman (KayCliff)
    Yorkists: The History of a Dynasty by Anne Crawford (KayCliff)

English (45)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
The unfortunate hunchback and tragic king and his story is here related by Shakespeare.
  gmicksmith | Apr 2, 2016 |
Despair and die!, spoken by a ten year old, is the highlight of any performance. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Richard III picks up at the end of the Henry VI trilogy. Richard spends the play plotting to kill everyone who stands between him and the throne of England, including his brother, his young nephews, his wife, and anyone else who happens to tick him off from moment to moment. The rest of the characters gradually figure out that he’s not a very nice person, and by the end of the play, his many sins are his downfall.

I really enjoyed the Henry VI plays, but I had trouble with this one. The action was more convoluted and harder to follow. This was partly because it was hard to keep the timing of everything straight and partly because there were too many characters to keep up with. The number of Henrys, Edwards, and Richards alone was enough to drive me nuts, not to mention the fact that many characters had multiple names and titles. I think I would enjoy seeing this one more than I enjoyed reading it. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
I wrote a new essay prompt for my 117S students:

The Allure of the Bully

What language does Richard use to persuade others? What rhetorical strategies does he employ in seduction? Does he switch tactics when speaking to different people (the audience/reader, individual characters, groups of characters)? Who is seduced and who sees through him--why is his rhetoric successful or unsuccessful? Please craft a focused argument, supported with close readings of the text, in response to one or more of these (or other) questions.

This is the old essay prompt I wrote for my 117A students:

Just an Aside: How do Richard's asides function in the play? Do they make him more sympathetic, more attractive, or more duplicitous? Does addressing the audience provide insight into a character's psychology? What is the difference between Richard's asides when other characters are present and his soliloquies when he is alone on the stage? Do his asides make the audience feel more complicit in Richard's crimes?
  Marjorie_Jensen | Nov 12, 2015 |
It wasn't by design, but I managed to save a great play for my final Shakespare (because apocrypha be damned.) Richard III was one definitely one of my favorites.... great story, great dialog and great pacing, what more could you ask for in a play?

The play tells the story of the nefarious Richard's rise to the throne and ultimate demise. He's an evil mastermind behind the deaths of kings and princes, and even those who supported his aims fall to his sword.

This isn't one of Shakespare's subtler works, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
1 vote amerynth | Nov 27, 2014 |

Rolfe, William J.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rossi, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, Louis B.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this son of York,
And all the clouds that loured upon our house
In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.
An honest tale speeds best, being plainly told.
True hope is swift, and flies with swallow's wings;

Kings it makes gods, and meaner creatures kings.
A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!

This director's playbook contains the script of the play in wide format, with fifty square inches of blank space for sketching in ideas for each scene or part of scene, the main action, costumes, sets. Plus glossary for obscure words or references, separate sections to be filled in for director and staff, budget, timeline, program, publicity, pre-production, audition or casting, set design, costumes, props, lighting, sound, stage manager.
The playbook is designed for high schools and colleges, but anyone with a budget, a cast and crew could benefit by keeping track of all the components needed for a theatrical production. Also, a link to customized scripts for all major roles. www.createspace.com/3962607
Eleven other Shakespeare plays are available in this unique format.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743482840, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Phyllis Rackin

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:45 -0400)

Contains the text of the play, information about Shakespeare and his theater, explanatory notes, and assesses the play in light of today's interests.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714839, 0141013036

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible