Richard III by William Shakespeare

Richard III (edition 2012)

by William Shakespeare

4,515581,538 (4)190
Member:Holly_Marr
Title:Richard III
Authors:William Shakespeare
Info:Empire Books (2012), Paperback, 212 pages
Rating:*****

The Tragedy of Richard the Third by William Shakespeare

The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: This is a mystery involving Richard III and the two princes in the tower, and seems to have garnered a bit of respect. It's a great read on its own, and would make a great companion read to Shakespeare's Richard III.
    The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England by Dan Jones (aquariumministry)
    Yorkists: The History of a Dynasty by Anne Crawford (KayCliff)
    We Speak No Treason by Rosemary Hawley Jarman (KayCliff)

English (53)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (58)
Annette Bening,Jim Broadbent
  Lonarae47 | Nov 4, 2018 |
Richard, you hero, you villain. I am not sure how I feel about this play, I might have done a bad reading of it originally. But I am enraptured with Richard III any way. He did great things for the poor, he murdered children. He was the last King to die on the battlefield, he wasn't a legitimate King anyway. Sly, cunning, vicious and ambitious, Richard III is coming close to taking Macbeth away as my favourite Shakespeare. ( )
  adaorhell | Aug 24, 2018 |
read this after The Winter of Our Discontent believe it or not, one thing always leads to another - have not seen it live or in film ( )
  frahealee | Dec 3, 2017 |
Settling back in my chair to think about what I’ve read . . .
Remember when, in Patton, George C. Scott exclaims, “Rommel, you magnificent bastard. I read your book!”?
It’s possible to imagine an unnamed candidate exclaiming in admiration after election to presidential office, “Shakespeare, you magnificent bastard. I did it like Richard III!” (Or possibly he’d say, “like Richard Three”).

What might I mean?

To begin with, Shakespeare has made this Richard III fellow so grotesquely grotesque that it’s hard to think how one might endure a play about him, and not a short play either. He hardly needed grotesqueness of body too. He is a pillar of grotesquerie. And it doesn’t help that he suffers from Asinine Distemper Syndrome.

<SPOILER NOTICE: The discussion that follows is partially a synopsis. Several events in the play are revealed.>

The action opens with Richard acquainting us with his newest plan: “I am determined to prove a villain.” In this he does not lie. It’s barely possible for his interest to be captured by any other ambition, whether he is capering in this play or in Shakespeare’s telling of the reign of King Henry VI. We immediately learn that he has laid plots to set his brother Clarence “in deadly hate” against his other brother who is, for the moment, king.

Well, who’d have guessed? Every reader of the Henry VI saga, I’d say. Facing the predictability of it all, one is tempted to cry, “A hearse, a hearse! What boredom, bring a hearse!”

Nonetheless, Richard surprises with how successfully he manipulates others to his ends when he is so minded. Having previously killed Lady Anne’s husband plus her father-in-law (Henry VI), he manufactures from these actions a romantic advantage.
What though I killed her husband and her father?
The readiest way to make the wench amends
Is to become her husband

It takes some convincing but somehow the noble “wench” softens toward his intent and becomes his wife.

Next an encounter with Margaret, Henry VI’s widow, who as a jewel of antagonistic behavior is almost a clone of Richard’s soul. Here Richard accomplishes something deft. While Margaret’s spite is obdurate—she resembles Richard greatly in capacity for distemper—Richard scores bonus points with the nobles witnessing their exchange. They go away impressed at his “virtuous and Christian-like” and prayerful manner. No matter that Richard has won their good opinion by feigning Christian conduct. Appositely, the Editor’s note here cites Milton’s Eikonoklastes: “The deepest policy of a tyrant hath ever been to counterfeit religious.” The reader can only shake his head.

Later, in a scene similar to the wooing of his by now deceased first wife, Richard, having killed Queen Elizabeth’s two young sons, bids her intercede to persuade her daughter to marry him. When she complains, saying her sons are “Too deep and dead, poor infants, in their graves,” he rebuts “Harp not on that string, madam; that is past.”

Swell guy. Still, the unapologetic Richard sways her. To her protest “Yet thou didst kill my children,” he replies:
But in your daughter’s womb I bury them:
Where in the nest of spicery, they will breed
Selves of themselves, to your recomfiture.

Crass modern translation: “Yeah, your sons are ****ing dead. You’ll feel better by setting it up so I can **** your daughter too.”

So Elizabeth agrees. Give her credit. Richard had to pursue his goal patiently for 174 lines (believe me, that’s a lot of lines) before she gave consent.

Just after Elizabeth leaves to bring Daughter the unexpected news, Richard brands her a “Relentless fool.” Nothing so arouses his contempt as giving in to what he wants. Nothing arouses his ire more than opposing what he wants. Richard, how in good conscience do you do the things you do? He kindly explains:
For conscience is a word that cowards use,
Devis’d at first to keep the strong in awe:
Our strong arms be our conscience, swords our law.

One feels sure even Socrates would fail to convince him otherwise.

Settling back in my chair to think about what I’ve read . . .
Well, perhaps you now imagine an unnamed candidate too. And that’s why you should read Richard III. ( )
2 vote dypaloh | Nov 17, 2017 |
A history/tragedy telling the tale of the treacherous Richard III and his manipulative, murderous rise to power - and downfall. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a student's study guide

Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this son of York,
And all the clouds that loured upon our house
In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.
An honest tale speeds best, being plainly told.
True hope is swift, and flies with swallow's wings;

Kings it makes gods, and meaner creatures kings.
A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!
This work is for the complete King Richard III only. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or "simplifications" (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.
This director's playbook contains the script of the play in wide format, with fifty square inches of blank space for sketching in ideas for each scene or part of scene, the main action, costumes, sets. Plus glossary for obscure words or references, separate sections to be filled in for director and staff, budget, timeline, program, publicity, pre-production, audition or casting, set design, costumes, props, lighting, sound, stage manager.
The playbook is designed for high schools and colleges, but anyone with a budget, a cast and crew could benefit by keeping track of all the components needed for a theatrical production. Also, a link to customized scripts for all major roles. www.createspace.com/3962607
Eleven other Shakespeare plays are available in this unique format.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743482840, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Phyllis Rackin

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:45 -0400)

Contains the text of the play, information about Shakespeare and his theater, explanatory notes, and assesses the play in light of today's interests.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714839, 0141013036

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,691,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible