The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat

by Dr. Seuss

8,713203348 (4.21)121
    The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (199)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (203)
Summary: One rainy day Sally and her brother got a visit from the cat in the hat while their mother was gone for a portion of the day. The cat in the hat had brought along Thing 1 and Thing 2. These two things had been the reason for the most of the crazy antics that occurred that day. The children's goldfish had constantly been telling Sally and her brother that this was not a good idea, but they did not listen. Before their mother got home they had to clean up the mess that had been made so that she could not tell that anyone was even there.

Evaluation/Argument: This is a great book that almost any child will love. The crazy antics of the cat in t he hat, Thing 1, and Thing 2 will add to the fun-nature of this text. Dr. Seuss' illustrations are very bright and detailed throughout the text. He made sure to include everything that he discussed on that page in his illustrations. This seemed like an awesome rainy day to me though. I think that almost any child would agree, but any mother would definitely be angry if they came home to a very messy house.
The central message of this book is to enjoy the rainy days when you have them because we all need a day to just relax. The goldfish should have been more relaxed and not so uptight because everything worked out fine in the end. ( )
  mwade4 | Dec 10, 2014 |
This book helped me learn to like poetry and it was catchy and exciting.
  Madison_DeWeerdt | Dec 4, 2014 |
If you were to ask people what the most classic children’s book was, chances are you’d hear at least one person say “the cat in the hat.” There’s a reason for it, too. Everything from the illustrations, to the imaginative plot, to the characters in the book are amazing. Personally, I get a kick out of the characters and the drawings the most. The dynamic between “Thing 1” and “Thing 2” is funny and endearing. I never get tired of reading this book, and it’s mostly because of them. In addition, the drawings are so creative and over the top that you can’t help but be curious as to what far-fetched invention you will see on the next page. It’s this kind of engagement that most authors wish to see in their books. I must say that Dr. Seuss seems to be a master at enticing kids to read his books. I give this book a five out of five, easily. The main idea of this book is to be careful what you wish for. ( )
  lmcswe1 | Dec 1, 2014 |
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss might be one of my favorite books. Not only is it interesting, but it helps kids identify phonograms. I think that it would be an amazing book to read on rainy days (since the Cat appears because it is rainy). I think that students could do some of the things that Sally, The Cat and other characters did in the book. ( )
  Nijania | Nov 27, 2014 |
One of Dr. Seuss' most classic and recognized books. Has a lot of repetition in it.
  kelskemp | Nov 25, 2014 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, SholemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edmondson, AdrianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grammer, KelseyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rivera, CarlosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viggen, HåkonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold, wet day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:51 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,335,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible