The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat

by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (224)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (228)
Summary: This is the fantastic story of a cat who comes to a home during a rainy day. He provides great entertainment for children who are trapped indoors with bad weather. These kids get a bit more than they bargained for when the cat turns everything around and upside down!

Personal Reaction: I love Dr. Seuss novels. I absolutely think this is one of the greatest sets of children's books that illustrate so beautifully and unusually. This book definitely presents a unique approach to what children can do on rainy days.

Classroom extensions: I think writing a poem, or visiting this story on a rainy day would be great for students. I also believe that students could bring their own unique hats to show their personality and tell a story of how they came to own such unique hats. ( )
  CelesteJoy | Sep 19, 2015 |
Rhymes and whimsical tales of fish, children, mayhem and mischief, which is all depending on the actions of a cat in a hat.
  7mary7 | Sep 2, 2015 |
This classic Dr. Seuss tale follows Sally, her brother, the fish, and the Cat in the Hat on a wild adventure of fun while the kids' mother is away. The fish is the voice of reason reminding the kids of what they should not be doing (the moral voice) while the Cat in the Hat is the risk taking adventurer convincing the kids to have an amazing time. The Cat magically cleans up the house just moments before mother returns home. This book won the BILBY young reader's award in 2004, is on the Library of Congress' list of Books that Shaped America, and was #97 on Waterstone's "The Nations Favourite Children's Books" list in 1997.
  PikeH | Jul 31, 2015 |
Summary: This book is about two small children being home alone with nothing to do because it was raining outside. Then suddenly the cat comes crashing down and starts to play. He ends up leaving the whole house a mess and the fish tells him to leave. With all the mess the children didn't know what to do. Well... the cat finally comes back and cleans the whole house.

Personal Reaction: Another one of my favorite books from my childhood.

Classroom Ideas: 1. Have the children write a poem of their own.
2. Maybe read it when it is raining outside.
  Matthew.Pluff | Jul 22, 2015 |
The underlying message of this book would have never hit me when I was a young reader, but as a teacher I will definitely try to drive it home. After reading this book for the 900th time I began to notice that maybe positive behavior is a message in this book... could definitely be used to teach classroom behavior "So class, if I leave the class will you let a cat in a hat and two things run our room?" I can hear their answers now! Never would have thought of Cat in The Hat as a teaching tool, but times have changed. Regardless of teachable moments, this book is a classic and should be shared with all children... It opens their minds to the magic of Dr. Seuss. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 30, 2015 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, SholemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edmondson, AdrianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grammer, KelseyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rivera, CarlosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viggen, HåkonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold, wet day.

Michievous feline
Entertains kids with mayhem
Ignores miffed fish.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,670,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible