The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat

by Dr. Seuss

Series: Beginner Book

8,611193354 (4.21)120
    The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (189)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (193)
There's a reason that this book is a classic, and that reason is that it's genius. It's super-funny, very catchy rhythmically, fun to say and read, full of action and suspense and emotion. My daughter LOVED it and had it memorized before she was two (so did we, because she made us read it to her a million times). One of our most treasured childhood videos will certainly be her "reading" this book to us at 21 months: "And then everything falls! Oh no. Ball falls. Rake falls. Cake falls. And fish is SAD."

And it is so delightful for adults to read something intended for kids that is NOT awful.

Recommended for all parents of little people, for both of you to read and enjoy. ( )
  lquilter | Oct 21, 2014 |
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
I absolutely adore any Dr. Seuss book, but “The Cat in the Hat,” is a magnificent piece of literature. There is a reason it has been around since 1957. What I like most about the book is how Seuss uses such simple the words to create a complex and engaging story that is still relatable to young children. The simple rhyming phrases such as “I know it is wet/ And the sun is not sunny./ But we can have/ Lots of good fun that is funny,” can pull a reader in and have them anticipate what is going to happen. The words in the story are at a level where beginner readers can comprehend what they are reading. I also like the scaffolding in the book. The pages start out having one or two sentences with an illustration taking up a majority of the page to entire pages with just text on one side and the illustration on the other. This scaffolding is done gradually and I believe it will take away the intimidation of reading an entire page of script. Also, most of the words filling up those bigger passages were already exposed to the children, which will make their task easier. Of course what most people love most about this book are the antics of The Cat and The Things. I am one of those people. I remember as a child finding The Cat and The Things hilarious. I was so engaged that I kept reading to see what would happen next. The engagement and humor of Dr. Seuss books transfers to this generation of young readers, which is why this book is a classic and still relevant. Overall all the big idea of this book is to entertain children and get them reading independently. ( )
  cduke3 | Oct 16, 2014 |
I really like how the cat kept the children entertained. The movie is just as funny as the book. Children really can fantasize about what happens. ( )
  lannersvalerie | Oct 2, 2014 |
Good, but I'm so over it. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, SholemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edmondson, AdrianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grammer, KelseyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rivera, CarlosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viggen, HåkonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold, wet day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:51 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,410,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible