The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat

by Dr. Seuss

Recently added byprivate library, RUCFC, Chankin-Schmeidler, Eratosthenes, lindyjudd, Terrell_Sanzone, osce, athomp33, AFNO
Legacy LibrariesAyn Rand
    The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (235)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (239)
I liked this book for numerous reasons. First, after learning the limitations that were put on the book by the publishers on the set word list, I think Seuss created a magnificent story. The writing in this book is truly spectacular. He finds a way to make simple sight rhyming words memorable and interesting. For example, “Look at me, look at me, look at me now! It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how.” These simple although inviting words grasp the readers attention and draw them into the book, wondering how the cat in the hat can create such fun for the children on a cold rainy day. In addition to the wonderful rhyming, in true Seuss fashion, the illustrations are just as captivating as the words. The illustrations add to the story, which adds visualizations to this bazar and original story. For example, when the cat brings in the big red box and releases the “things”, the reader finds himself staring at these creatures. The illustrations provide such clarity to the simple words allowing the reader to fully understand the text. Overall, the big idea of this story is to not be afraid to try new things and through caution to the wind. Although the fish advised of disregarding the cat’s suggestions, the children still tried the fun games. In the end, they were rewarded for their trials because the house was cleaned; yet they still had fun. ( )
  eyork1 | Oct 7, 2015 |
Classic Dr Seuss. One of the absolute musts for any child (and the adult reading it to them) ( )
  Terrell_Sanzone | Oct 7, 2015 |
I thought that this was a great book. I loved the fun illustrations! They are so whimsical and add so much to the story. I think readers of all ages will enjoy the illustrations in this book. I also liked the fun language Dr. Seuss used to tell the story. His rhyming language tells the story in a fun, interesting way that makes you want to keep reading. The story also has a quick pace that pulls the reader in. This wacky story is a fun book to read. The main idea of this book is to remember to have fun. ( )
  lmorte1 | Oct 7, 2015 |
I really like his book for two reasons. One reason why I like this book is because of the plot. I think the plot has conflict which is Dick and Sally being bored, and a solution which is the cat. It also has another conflict (the house being a mess) and another solution (the cat in the hat cleaning up). I think the plot really captures the readers attentions, especially little kids. Another reason why I really like this book is because of the characters. They are well developed and each have their own personality which you'd not except. For example I do not think anyone reading the book for the first time would think a fish would come alive and be super bossy yet responsible. I think the main idea of this book is for children to realize it is okay if you have fun but to also make sure you clean up. ( )
  athomp33 | Oct 6, 2015 |
The Cat in the Hat is a great story. I love how much is rhymes because it helps make the book fun. When everything rhymes in the book, it helps with fluency. Everything flows together so it is easier to read faster and more accurately. I loved all the illustrations as well. The part where the Cat in the Hat is holding a cup and milk and cake, holding books, a fish on a rake, holding a fan with his tail and hopping on a ball, the illustrations describe it all. All these illustrations are so detailed that the reader could say exactly what the text is saying and if they know this book is supposed to rhyme, they could probably have an idea what objects in the picture connect together. For an example, the rake and cake and the fan and the toy man. The purpose of this story is to entertain the reader. These events in this book are not real but that is what makes this story fun. ( )
  Jvoorh1 | Oct 6, 2015 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, SholemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edmondson, AdrianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grammer, KelseyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rivera, CarlosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viggen, HåkonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold, wet day.

Michievous feline
Entertains kids with mayhem
Ignores miffed fish.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,788,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible