The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat

by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (212)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (216)
In my opinion this is a great book! I really love the illustrations! They are so detailed and explanatory. The reader can look at the illustrations before, during, and after reading to get a more clear explanation as to what is going on. When the cat in the hat is balancing the books, dishes, fish, rake, milk, and umbrella the reader can look at the picture to get a better understanding of how much of a mess it will make if it falls.
I also really liked the characters. Sally and her brother are so realistic. The fish is also very realistic. He is like another sibling (the oldest) who is thinking about the consequences if mother gets home and see the house destroyed.
The main idea of this story is to always do what you know if right even if it isn't the fun decision because the consequences are never worth it. Also, do not let strange cats into your house. ( )
  csmith109 | Mar 5, 2015 |
Have to admit, this is a very bizarre book. Its a true blend of signature illustrations and wacky plot. Its funny because if you explain it, it sounds like every parents worst nightmare. That said, I love this book! Cat In the Hat is one of those books that transcends its intended audience and can appeal to pretty much anyone of any age.

My only complaint would be that, again, the book is definitely bizarre and if you step away from the pictures and REALLY examine the plot, its a bit disturbing. However, if you look at it from a child’s point of view, it cannot be anything but pure fun.

Chock full of subtle touches that will keep everyone coming back for years, pick us this book and transport yourself back to the chaos of being a kid. ( )
  pcadig1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book as a kid especially when the movie came out. I liked the overall lesson of this story, which was to clean your mess before you go out an play. As a kid, I really understood this lesson, and my mom liked this book for that same reason. I also liked the main character the cat. He was friendly, witty and easy to like. I also like that the story has a boy and a girl character. This way when kids are reading it, they can relate wether they are a boy or a girl. Sometimes students will be more likely to listen if there is a character that is like them. Another thing I liked about this book is the overall setting. It takes place in a house just like mine, or so I thought as a kid. The children had toys and chores to do before they could play. After reading this book, I actually went around the house looking for Thing 1 and Thing 2. This story is about a couple of kids, who welcome the cat in the hat in as a visitor one rainy day. The cat comes in to help the children clean their house and do their chores. He brings in a few helpers and all kinds of cool machines to help make the job go quicker. If everyone works together, the job gets done faster! ( )
  tbarne9 | Feb 26, 2015 |
kindergarten series- easy beginner reader
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 24, 2015 |
This book tells the fun story of two young children who are home alone all day at their house. It is rainy and cold outside so they have nothing to do. Then all of a sudden, a cat in a hat shows up and begins to play games with them. He is a little reckless and starts doing tricks. He messes up the house quite a bit but encourages the children to participate in his games and have fun. Then he does another trick and has two creatures called thing 1 and thing 2 appear. They also begin to mess up the entire house. The children’s Mother is on their way home so they must clean up the whole mess. Luckily the cat in the hat comes to their rescue and cleans up the house using one of his tricks. The house is clean and the book ends with a funny rhyme about the kids debating on telling their Mother what they did that day. This is an example of a modern fantasy book.
  sarahetuemmler | Feb 24, 2015 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, SholemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edmondson, AdrianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grammer, KelseyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rivera, CarlosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viggen, HåkonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold, wet day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:51 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,167,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible