The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat

by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (221)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (225)
The underlying message of this book would have never hit me when I was a young reader, but as a teacher I will definitely try to drive it home. After reading this book for the 900th time I began to notice that maybe positive behavior is a message in this book... could definitely be used to teach classroom behavior "So class, if I leave the class will you let a cat in a hat and two things run our room?" I can hear their answers now! Never would have thought of Cat in The Hat as a teaching tool, but times have changed. Regardless of teachable moments, this book is a classic and should be shared with all children... It opens their minds to the magic of Dr. Seuss. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 30, 2015 |
Summary: The Cat in the Hat is about a cat that shows up at the home of Sally and her brother on a rainy day when their mother is not home. He tries to entertain them with crazy tricks and feats much to the children's protests. Along with his friends, Thing 1 and Thing 2 they wreck the house. Right before Sally's mother gets home The Cat cleans up the house and they are no longer worried.

Personal connection: Dr. Seuss' books are all so great, and this one is no exception. The Cat is kind of considered the best babysitter ever in my eyes, especially because he comes through in the end and helps clean the house up.

Class use: Have the students talk about their ideal friend, and what they would do with The Cat in the Hat and Thing 1 and Thing 2. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |
The message shows that when left alone at home, you should always make good choices. Don't let anyone encourage you to do bad things if you think your mother would be upset if she saw you doing them. The book could be used in Kindergarten through 2nd grade focusing on the moral of behavior in the classroom and making good choices over bad choices.
  biancagrhm | Apr 29, 2015 |
This is a great book for your early readers such as first grade. I see the first graders I work with read this over and over. They love the rhyming. And it's fun! ( )
  RaineyNicole | Apr 29, 2015 |
A cat shows up to a house where tow children are home while their mom is away. the cat causes so much trouble and mess as he tries to get the kids to have fun with him. In the end he cleans up the mess right before the mom gets home, and the kids had a good time. This teaches children to live in the moment and to experience all they can while they are young. ( )
  amartino1208 | Apr 28, 2015 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, SholemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edmondson, AdrianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grammer, KelseyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rivera, CarlosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viggen, HåkonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold, wet day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,961,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible