The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat

by Dr. Seuss

Recently added byu2guru, SusanLong, stottm16, private library, Adurna101, hownovel, KDKat5, AmandaSullivan, jonnydoh
    The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (185)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (189)
Good, but I'm so over it. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
Summary
This book is about two kids who were home and stuck inside due to the rain. Along came The Cat in the Hat to bring them fun and excitement. He began to say all the things he can do. But the fish wasn't having it and told him he must go because their mother wasn't home. The Cat in the Hat didn't listen and kept on playing and then CRASH Mr. Hat dropped everything and there was a huge mess. The Cat in the Hat wasnt finished yet, he then brought out thing one and thing two and they began to play and they also began to destroy the house as they went on their way. Finally as mom was coming home one of the children told The Cat in the Hat that he must go, but before he left he made sure he cleaned up.
Personal reaction
I love all Dr.Seuss books and this one brought back some fond memories when I used to read when it rained. This book is great for entertaining and help kids to build up their imagination. It makes me become creative with fun indoor activities we could do when we are stuck inside because of weather.
Classroom extension
1. I would use this book to bring out parachute play indoors and come up with different activities we could use with parachute play.
2. I would have older children come up with different indoor activities that they could do if ever stuck inside. ( )
  theresa.moultrie | Sep 26, 2014 |
This book is about 2 children who seem to have nothing to do when all of a sudden a cat appears. With things to do, and messes to cause the kids have fun until they realize their mother is about to get home and see the mess. The cat in the hat aids their clean up and the mother never knew the fun they had.
I like this book because of its rhyme and how well the illustrations follow along with the story line.
I think this book can be read to k-3 grade because it teaches about responsibility. After having fun, it is important to clean up your messes!
  AmyGelle | Sep 24, 2014 |
This book is a classic. The book is about siblings who encounters a Cat who wears a white and red striped hat. The cat takes the two siblings on a crazy adventure and creates havoc in their house. Despite numerous objections from the two sibling's fish, the crazy adventure ends up trashing the house and the siblings are worried about their mom coming home to a messy house. The cat invents a machine that cleans the house all up and the siblings were able to hide all what happened from their mom.
  astinchavez | Sep 16, 2014 |
As with any other Dr. Seuss book, learning to read is fun when reading books such as The Cat In The Hat! The main reason why this is such a good children’s book is because it is very easy to read, especially if you want to read it alone or out loud. The book contains over 200 different words that are easy to read by first or second graders. These words include the, cat, hat, fish, sun, wet, play, sat, etc. I know that when I was younger and just starting to read, I would read Dr. Seuss books because they had all of the beginner words that I had been learning. I loved to read knowing that it was easier for me. Next, the book is very entertaining and intriguing, and makes you sort of form questions while reading it. “Will Sally and her brothers mother see what they did to the house? How will the Cat in the Hat clean the mess up?” and so on. Lastly, the creative and skillful nonsense of the way the book rhymes so well makes it even more enjoyable to read, and no book can top that of a Dr. Seuss book. “I sat there with Sally. We sat there, we two. And I said, ‘how I wish we had something to do!” This small piece from the book shows how well it rhymes. Looking deeper into the context of the book, The Cat In The Hat has some sort of a rebellious message to it with both chaos and order, but to kids this story is simply about fun! ( )
  margan1 | Sep 16, 2014 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, SholemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edmondson, AdrianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grammer, KelseyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rivera, CarlosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viggen, HåkonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold, wet day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:51 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,979,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible