The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat

by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (283)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (287)
This Dr. Seuss classic is about a cat who saves kids from a boring rainy day.
  mbrandel | May 4, 2016 |
The Cat in the Hat is about two kids named Nick and Sally who are stuck in their house and are very bored. The Cat in the Hat comes in and helps them have fun although it's raining outisde. Thing 1 and Thing 2 get involved and help NIck and Sally wreak havoc and then clean it all up before their mom comes home.
  chloethom1818 | May 1, 2016 |
My daughter (Ashlea) and I got costumes at Halloween in 2015. She is the Cat in the Hat. I am Thing 1. We were having such a blast. Headstart does not celebrate holidays or anything like that soooo when Dr. Seuss's birthday month came up, my agency let us go in to read to all of our classrooms in costume. The kids loved it. We were even invited to Family Fun Night! My daughter loves the mom's dress in the book so we mentioned if anyone grows up and makes dresses to remember my Cat in the Hat. lol One of the UPK classes sparked up a conversation about helmets when the cat falls off the ball. Very interesting conversation there.
The question asked at the end, "what would you do if your mother asked you?" the responses varied. Ashlea as the Cat always gave her response too. it's easier to tell the truth because if she finds out later you could get in more trouble for lying. ( )
  dawnbresee | May 1, 2016 |
There are a few reasons that I like this book. The first reason I like it is because of its patterned predictable language. The author does this by creating nonsense words. An example of this is “The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold wet day.” I also liked the way the author used the writing organization to engage the reader. The “Sit! Sit! Sit! Sit! Sit!” going from left to right diagonally down the page. This helps the reader read with emotion. The big idea is to listen to your parent's rules. ( )
  Rvealey | Apr 27, 2016 |
In my opinion, this is a good book. The writing flows very nicely because of the rhymes and the made up words that Dr. Seuss writes. The imaginative words engages readers and gives them the opportunity to create their own meaning for the word using the pictures and context clues. The illustrations fit the words on the page. The pictures are very exaggerated just like the story describes. The big idea of the story is are consequences of breaking the rules and learning responsibility. The cat comes in and creates a mess and it's the children's job to clean it up. ( )
  amyadams19 | Apr 17, 2016 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

The sun did not shine.
It was too wet to play.
So we sat in the house
All that cold, cold, wet day.

Michievous feline
Entertains kids with mayhem
Ignores miffed fish.
(Marissa_Baden)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible