The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat (original 1957; edition 1957)

by Dr. Seuss (Author)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.
Member:AmCorKragujevac
Title:The Cat in the Hat
Authors:Dr. Seuss (Author)
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1957), Edition: 1st, 61 pages
Collections:Movies
Tags:R19

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss (1957)

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (442)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (446)
This was one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books as a child, next to "Green eggs and Ham". It seems funny that both of the books I have read with cats in them have quite active and mischievous. (referring to the book "If You Give A Cat A Cupcake"). As a child I really enjoyed Dr. Seuss, I would have them in a classroom in the reading nook for fun reading times for the students. ( )
  asburns | Nov 13, 2019 |
In my opinion this was an... interesting book to say the least. There was a lot of humor in finding children who were very calm and sensible in a children's book as normally are never the voice of reasons in stories like this. The writing style flowed more than just with the rhyming scheme. The illustrations were simple yet are the main draw to these stories because these unrealistic characters sill seem so real. ( )
  kcanne1 | Oct 24, 2019 |
Poetry lesson
  KaylynContreras | Oct 7, 2019 |
I love this book because it reminds me of my childhood. This book is great because it has rhyming on every page. Rhyming helps children's diction and phonemic awareness. The characters in this book are made up people called "Who's" from "Whoville" and a big black cat called "The Cat in The Hat." The language is perfect for children because it's everyday objects and words like "milk", "ball", and it is repetitive which helps the children hear it and repeat it many times. The theme of this book is rules, and lack there of. The Cat in the Hat is breaking rules the whole time, and the fish is telling him not to do all these things because he should not be there at all! No one wants to get caught by there mother! ( )
  crepet1 | Sep 27, 2019 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. I liked this book for 4 reasons. First, this book connects to young readers in a way that you wouldn’t expect due to it being a fantasy fiction book. A brother and sister are bored in the house because it’s a cold and wet day. They didn’t want to sit in the house all day and were hoping that something would turn their boring day around. The young readers can relate to these days and the hope that something fun will come out of it similar to how the characters felt. However, unlike the young readers, the characters did have something exciting turn their day around. It was a talking cat that wore a hat, bow tie, and walked on 2 legs. Then, all of a sudden, their goldfish started talking! This book encourages creativity and imagination in young children because generally speaking, cats walk on 4 legs, cannot talk, and they do not wear hats or bow ties. In addition, fish do not talk. Second, the children in this book learned some type of responsibility and it was very apparent to me as a reader. As the cat in the hat, thing 1, and thing 2 were making a huge mess throughout the house, the children realized that this was not how their guests should be behaving. The children expressed how they felt to their guests and decided it was time to clean up the mess. The children did not want to get in big trouble and the only way was to take action and responsibility for their guests. Third, besides from the story, I enjoyed how the illustrations popped out. Some pictures were in color and others were not. For example, I really like how the sister was not in color, yet her hair bow was a bright red. Fourth, I thought it was cool how the author asked the reader a question at the end of the story. In the story, the mom came home at the end of the day and asked her children what they have done all day. They were asking themselves if they should tell her, which leads to the question the author asks you— What would you do If your mother asked you?” (Seuss, pg. 61). No matter how unrealsiic this story is, the author still found a way to connect it to the reader. ( )
  ateste1 | Sep 15, 2019 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

The sun did not shine.
It was too wet to play.
So we sat in the house
All that cold, cold, wet day.

Michievous feline
Entertains kids with mayhem
Ignores miffed fish.
(Marissa_Baden)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,549,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible