The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat (edition 1957)

by Dr. Seuss

Title:The Cat in the Hat
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1957), Hardcover, 72 pages

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (309)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (313)
The Cat in the Hat is a childhood favorite of mine, filled with great rhymes and fun! it wasn't until I did an author study on Dr. Seuss that I learned the deeper meaning behind the story. Dr. Seuss had a political side and is known to share subtle messages throughout the story and his illustrations which convey a political message behind them. In the story,our characters are Dick, Sally, the Fish and the Cat. The Cat decides to come into Dick and Sally's house uninvited and brings along Thing 1 and Thing 2. Together the Thing's and The Cat made a huge mess but thankfully they got it cleaned up before Dick and Sally's mother got home. Throughout the story, the Fish remained Christ-like and kept warning the two kids to get the Cat out of the house. This story is exciting for young readers, and it was also very interesting to dig deeper and find out the things Dr. Seuss wanted us to know. ( )
  asialandry | Oct 23, 2016 |
Cat in the Hat is a fun tale that I think all kids will enjoy listening to. If they are stuck inside on a rainy day, they can use their imagination to have fun! ( )
  laurenkt | Oct 22, 2016 |
This book was one of my favorite book when I was growing up. I enjoy hear the rhymes in the book which keeps it very engaging. The picture are also very illustrated in a deep way that captures the audience attention. I have this book at home myself and love to read it, and look forward to using it in my future class. This book can help students with rhyming by listening and having the students point out the two rhyming words. Excellent activity! ( )
  Ash13276 | Oct 20, 2016 |
I love this book. There are a few reasons why I think this is such a great book. The first thing being its plot. You would think in a children’s book there wouldn’t be much to keep an older reader interested but that would be wrong. Throughout the story there are these moments when you can imagine what might happen next, like when the kids open the box with thing one and thing two in it. There are also times when you feel like you are on the edge of your seat and you don’t know how things will turn out like when the children’s mom is walking to the door and the house is still a mess but the cat shows up and cleans everything in the last second. The other great thing about tis book is illustration. Every page ha a great graphic to depict what is actually going on in the story. This is extremely helpful because as most people know a lot of things in Dr. Seuss books are made up and have no real definition in our world, like all of the contraptions he uses. I thing the big idea of this story is that you can always find things to do if you are board and you should always use your imagination and creatively solve problems. ( )
1 vote CameronMoltz | Oct 18, 2016 |
I have always enjoyed this book. I liked this book for two reasons. The first reason is that I love all of the rhyming this book has. For example, the title alone rhymes with cat and hat. The second reason I liked this book was because of the humor. The Cat in the Hat is constantly breaking rules and messing up the house. The fish tells the Cat in the Hat multiple times to leave but he does not listen. The big idea of this book is that you should always follow rules and that there is a reason rules are made. If the Cat in the Hat followed the rules, the chaos that went on would not have occurred. ( )
  Kirstenwenzel | Oct 17, 2016 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr
The sun did not shine.
It was too wet to play.
So we sat in the house
All that cold, cold, wet day.

Michievous feline
Entertains kids with mayhem
Ignores miffed fish.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,767,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible