The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat (edition 1957)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:Yasith
Title:The Cat in the Hat
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1957), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:*****

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (280)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (284)
There are a few reasons that I like this book. The first reason I like it is because of its patterned predictable language. The author does this by creating nonsense words. An example of this is “The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold wet day.” I also liked the way the author used the writing organization to engage the reader. The “Sit! Sit! Sit! Sit! Sit!” going from left to right diagonally down the page. This helps the reader read with emotion. The big idea is to listen to your parent's rules. ( )
  Rvealey | Apr 27, 2016 |
In my opinion, this is a good book. The writing flows very nicely because of the rhymes and the made up words that Dr. Seuss writes. The imaginative words engages readers and gives them the opportunity to create their own meaning for the word using the pictures and context clues. The illustrations fit the words on the page. The pictures are very exaggerated just like the story describes. The big idea of the story is are consequences of breaking the rules and learning responsibility. The cat comes in and creates a mess and it's the children's job to clean it up. ( )
  amyadams19 | Apr 17, 2016 |
This fun book is about two kids named Connor and Sally who were stuck in the house bored. They get a visit form the cat in the hat who helps them have fun. "I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny, but we can have lots of fun that is funny," he says. He has them do things they are told not to do and takes them on an adventure inside their house. Throughout the book they all rhyme when they speak. The cat has two helpers named thing 1 and thing two who help him make a big mess of the kids house that they have to get clean before their mom gets home. The author Theodore Seuss Geisel also known as Dr. Seuss was born March 2, 1904 in Springfield, MA and died September 24, 1991. He was known for his rhyming children's books and movies. I would recommend this book to encourage adventure and exploration. ( )
  Tydrianna | Apr 10, 2016 |
It's a rainy day and Dick and Sally are bored, so the cat and the hat comes and saves the day. He bring fish and thing 1 and thing 2 and they all fill Dick and Sally's day with fun-filled adventures. This is the perfect book for 1st and 2nd graders to easily read. It is a great book to read alone or aloud to a class. The rhyming gives it a fun twist and makes it much more interesting to read! Anyone would love this book because it's very colorful and eye-catching! ( )
  MollyyDavis | Apr 6, 2016 |
This book is an all time favorite! I have enjoyed this book since I was a child and I still do today! ( )
  MariannaGlaze | Apr 1, 2016 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

The sun did not shine.
It was too wet to play.
So we sat in the house
All that cold, cold, wet day.

Michievous feline
Entertains kids with mayhem
Ignores miffed fish.
(Marissa_Baden)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible