The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat (edition 1957)

by Dr. Seuss

8,670200351 (4.21)121
Member:Yasith
Title:The Cat in the Hat
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1957), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:*****

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (194)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (198)
I loved this book as a kid. I would have kids in my classroom read this to themselves when doing a poetry unit. ( )
  dtolton93 | Nov 19, 2014 |
The Cat in the Hat
Who doesn’t love “The Cat in the Hat” by Dr. Seuss. This book is a classic for sure! The entire book travels through the adventure with the Cat in the Hat and the children while their Mother is away. The rhyming in the book gives language that is patterned and has meaning. “But our fish said, No! No! Make that cat go away! Tell that Cat in the Hat you do not want to play. He should not be here. He should not be about. He should not be here when your mother is out!” This simple rhyming sequence, though entertaining, teaches a lesson without simply saying to not have people over when your parents are away. The character of the Cat in the Hat is well developed. The reader will easily identify him as mischievous and fully of fun ideas, but ideas that will get them in trouble. For example, “Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now! It is fun to have fun but you have to know how.” The rhyme goes on to telling the many things that the Cat in the Hat is balancing on his head, such as a rake, a cake, a cup, a boat and an umbrella. The illustration on the page next to it shows everything he is holding! The illustrations the classic Cat in the Hat of a blue, black, white and red. The big idea of this story is to teach a lesson of rules and to entertain. ( )
  areyno5 | Nov 12, 2014 |
Summary:
This book is about a little girl named Sally and her older brother.They are home alone after their mother leaves.The children are bored because it's raining out and they end up doing nothing but sit and stare out the window. The Cat in the Hat enters performing tricks to entertain the kids and tries to get them to have fun. The tricks turn into more daring and dangerous creating a large mess. The goldfish is warning the children that their mother will return and they will be in trouble. Things get even more out of control when the Cat in the Hat brings Thing 1 and Thing 2 into the picture creating an even bigger mess.Shortly before the mother comes home the older brother stands up to the Cat in the Hat and forces him to clean up the mess that he's made. The Cat in the Hat with the help of Thing 1, Thing 2 and some neat machines manages to clean the house before the mother returns home and the children escape punishment.

Personal reaction:
This probablly is one of my favorites from Dr. Seuss.

Classroom extension ideas:
1. The class could go over rhyming words.They could put rhyming words on pictures of the cats hat and match them.
2. The class could do a word scrable of words in the story. ( )
  christyb2020 | Nov 10, 2014 |
This book doesn't need much explaining as to why it is an amazing read. Simply put, it's a classic Dr. Seuss children's book. There is a reason that it was named one of the "Top 100 Children's Books" of all time (National Education Association), and one of the "Top 100 Picture Books" of all time (School Library Journal). I definitely recommend reading this book.
Firstly, the writing was simply amazing. As with many Dr. Seuss children's books, this book was written in a prose, rhyming style. What this means is that many lines throughout the story would rhyme with a line in the same stanza, most commonly the second and fourth line. An example of this is on page 7, which reads, "I know it is wet And the sun is not sunny. But we can have Lots of good fun that is funny!". In this example, the rhyming words were sunny and funny. This method continues throughout the entire book, rhyming words such as hat and pat, hall and wall, or net and bet and yet. I feel this rhyming scheme keeps the reader not only interested, but it also makes it easier for the reader to create the story in his or her own head.
I've mentioned in a previous book review how amazing I think that Dr. Seuss's illustrations are in his children's books. As with all of his children's books written under the name "Dr. Seuss", Seuss also does his own illustrations. His development of characters and color throughout the story are always fascinating to me. One thing I actually liked about this book was that Seuss only used two colors (red and blue) and two shades (black and white) throughout the whole story. He used multiple intensities of all of these colors to create his images. On page 7, Seuss lightened up the color red to make pink, which he used to make the welcome mat. He also used two different intensities of blue when coloring the outside sky and the blue umbrella. Seuss allowed his use of thick lines to produce shading and depth in his pictures. The illustrations are so simple, yet I feel they still remain very complex to the reader. There is so much to notice in the illustrations that the reader's eyes flow constantly. In my opinion, that's a sign of a successful illustrator.
One thing I really liked about this book was the way the story ended. It reads, "What would YOU do if your mother asked YOU?" I feel that ending the story with a hypothetical question allows the reader to put themselves into the story. They can debate all of the things that could be said if they were in that situation. In my mind, I think of all of the things I could say. Endless possibilities and options run through my head for one simple question. I think that was the authors intention, to keep the reader thinking after the story had ended.
The main idea of this book was to tell a story of how to have fun when your mom is not home. Seuss was quoted saying that " It is the book I'm proudest of because it had something to do with the death of the Dick and Jane primers." I do not understand that reference personally. However, I feel that the story also shows the reader how important it is to clean up after ( )
  Andrewturner | Nov 4, 2014 |
SUMMARY
This story is about a little boy and Sally sitting in the house on a cold rainy day. They are both bored until a cat appears and try's to show the children they can have fun during the rain. The fish does not want to go along but the children do. And the cat ends up destroying the house. Their mother walks and the cat disappears.

PERSONAL REACTION
I enjoyed this classic story. I thought it was really funny but also taught a lesson on what not to do.

CLASSROOM EXTENSION
This could be used to have your class think of indoor activities for rainy days.
This could also be used to teach children about cleaning and having them clean behind themselves.
  christianf | Oct 25, 2014 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, SholemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edmondson, AdrianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grammer, KelseyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rivera, CarlosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viggen, HåkonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold, wet day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:51 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible