The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat (edition 1957)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:Yasith
Title:The Cat in the Hat
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1957), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:*****

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (286)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (290)
A book I read as a kid. ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
This is a fun and cute book that has stood the passage of time. Even though I am no longer a child, it is still fun to read as it brings back memories of easy times. ( )
  eeminxs | Jun 1, 2016 |
I like the fantasy, the absurdity of thing one and two thing two and the rhyme.
To me the passivity of the two children is strange, - oh in the end they obey the fish.. i see by rereading ( and i hadn't noticed their expressions in the drawings - the conscience of the fish annoying. But maybe totally understandable since the book is from 1957.
The roles are clear. The voice of the cat is like Seuss's coeval [[Annie M.G. Schmidt]]'s one: it's nice to do some naughty things with fantasy.
The last line: What would you do a your mother asked you? the most important one.

For me it is needles to say/natural that having fun, children's play, is far more important than a tidy sitting room

It's difficult for me to figure out how i would have liked it if i had read this at my sixth, like a lot of you probably had done. ( or earlier as someone had read this out for you).

3,5 stars because it's from 1957 ( )
  EMS_24 | May 11, 2016 |
This Dr. Seuss classic is about a cat who saves kids from a boring rainy day.
  mbrandel | May 4, 2016 |
The Cat in the Hat is about two kids named Nick and Sally who are stuck in their house and are very bored. The Cat in the Hat comes in and helps them have fun although it's raining outisde. Thing 1 and Thing 2 get involved and help NIck and Sally wreak havoc and then clean it all up before their mom comes home.
  chloethom1818 | May 1, 2016 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

The sun did not shine.
It was too wet to play.
So we sat in the house
All that cold, cold, wet day.

Michievous feline
Entertains kids with mayhem
Ignores miffed fish.
(Marissa_Baden)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,482,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible