The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat (edition 1957)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:Yasith
Title:The Cat in the Hat
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1957), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:*****

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (182)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (186)
This book is a classic. The book is about siblings who encounters a Cat who wears a white and red striped hat. The cat takes the two siblings on a crazy adventure and creates havoc in their house. Despite numerous objections from the two sibling's fish, the crazy adventure ends up trashing the house and the siblings are worried about their mom coming home to a messy house. The cat invents a machine that cleans the house all up and the siblings were able to hide all what happened from their mom.
  astinchavez | Sep 16, 2014 |
As with any other Dr. Seuss book, learning to read is fun when reading books such as The Cat In The Hat! The main reason why this is such a good children’s book is because it is very easy to read, especially if you want to read it alone or out loud. The book contains over 200 different words that are easy to read by first or second graders. These words include the, cat, hat, fish, sun, wet, play, sat, etc. I know that when I was younger and just starting to read, I would read Dr. Seuss books because they had all of the beginner words that I had been learning. I loved to read knowing that it was easier for me. Next, the book is very entertaining and intriguing, and makes you sort of form questions while reading it. “Will Sally and her brothers mother see what they did to the house? How will the Cat in the Hat clean the mess up?” and so on. Lastly, the creative and skillful nonsense of the way the book rhymes so well makes it even more enjoyable to read, and no book can top that of a Dr. Seuss book. “I sat there with Sally. We sat there, we two. And I said, ‘how I wish we had something to do!” This small piece from the book shows how well it rhymes. Looking deeper into the context of the book, The Cat In The Hat has some sort of a rebellious message to it with both chaos and order, but to kids this story is simply about fun! ( )
  margan1 | Sep 16, 2014 |
Summary:
In this book a brother and sister are stuck inside on a rainy day, while their mother is out running errands. When all of a sudden, the Cat in the Hat walks through the door and starts playing some mischievous games. He even brings along his friends Thing 1, and Thing 2. The children's pet fish is insisting that the cat and his friends all leave before the children's mother gets home. With the house a mess and mom around the corner, the Cat in the Hat cleans up the mess and leaves, right before mom walks through the door.

Personal Reaction:
I really love this book because it has fun rhyming, literature, and fast pace excitement. The plot keeps you turning the pages to find out what the Cat in the Hat is going to do next. Also, this book creates fantasy with anthropomorphism with the Cat in the Hat. I think that is one reason why children love him so much.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have your class talk about rainy day activities. Make a bulletin board about their favorite things to do on a rainy day.
2. Have the class work on rhyming words.
  CiaraLohman | Sep 10, 2014 |
The Cat in the Hat would be a good book for 1st or 2nd graders. The repetitive nature of the book will help beginning readers read the book. The length of the book is a little long, so I do not recommend this book for students who have difficulties focusing for long periods of time.
  bzittlosen | Sep 9, 2014 |
This book is a great resource for teaching young children about rhyming. For example, Dr. Seuss wrote "...and then something went BUMP! how that bump made us jump!" Rhymes like that example are on every page in the book. Children can easily get a hang of rhyming by reading many of Dr. Seuss's books.

Summary: Sally and her brother were stuck in their house without their mother on a rainy day. As they became bored, they heard a loud noise. Suddenly, a cat came out of a hat. The cat's goal was to show the two children fun games that they can play during rainy days. However, the cat made a large mess in the house. The talking fish was not happy and told the cat to leave over and over again. The cat left, only to return with a box that contained thing one and thing two. Thing one and thing two ran throughout the house making an even bigger mess. The fish became very angry and anxious as he saw the mother arrive back at the house. The cat quickly cleaned up the mess in the house and vanished before the mother walked in. After the mother walked into the house, she asked her children what they did on that rainy day. The children did not know whether to tell her or not. ( )
  ahanch1 | Sep 1, 2014 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, SholemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edmondson, AdrianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grammer, KelseyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rivera, CarlosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viggen, HåkonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold, wet day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:51 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible