The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat (edition 1957)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:Yasith
Title:The Cat in the Hat
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1957), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:*****

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

Recently added bygreenegirlcr, tessakubanek, RachelRY, nandadevi, legasdia, private library, aleibowitz, stwenctest, SKHaynes
Legacy LibrariesAyn Rand
    The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (288)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (292)
The first time I read this, I was starting to learn English at about 10 years old. I was (and still is) the goody-two-shoe variety. I remember freaking out that this (seemingly) pompous and callous cat would barge in uninvited and make a mess of everything. Even though he cleans up afterwards, I would have had a minor heart attack. Coincidentally, I was a latch-key kid so sitting home waiting for mom to return is a daily theme. Imagine my 10-year old self’s irrational fear of a rampaging cat barging into my home.

Reading this for a second time as an adult with a more open mind, I see the underlying messages better:

- Don’t mope around; have a little fun. (In my case, it’s more of ‘don’t be so hard on myself’.)

- It’s ok to make a little mess; it can be cleaned up. (Though it was an old friend who taught me the adage of “It’s going to get worse before it gets better.” It was an awakening to let things go.)

- The question of “What would YOU do if your mother asked YOU?”. I never thought much of this. I never told my mom much of anything having raised myself due to circumstances. But as I age, I understand the tradeoff and frustration that a normal child would have had in these situations. I think Dr. Seuss is saying it’s ok to tell or not to tell.

- I don’t know what the fish was supposed to represent, but the fish would have been my inner voice, my conscience, telling me to keep things in check. Perhaps it’s about having fun but know you have an inner voice to maintain your core.

Despite this book being in the “I can read it all by myself” category, it is still better read with a parent. ( )
  varwenea | Aug 10, 2016 |
This book involves two sibling who were left at home by their mother on a rainy day. Suddenly, they were introduced to a cat who called himself the cat in the hat. The cat told them that he knew how to help them have some fun, so he introduced the kids to Thing 1 and Thing 2. These things were wild and ran around the house and caused more trouble than they did fun. They trashed the house, but the kids managed to catch them before their mother got home and everything went back to normal.

This book was one of my favorites when I was little. Thinking of this as a logical adult, I found myself wondering why these children would let a stranger into their house, let alone a giant talking cat, but I guess it is for the sake of an imaginative story for the children. That aside, overall, this book is a classic for a reason.

This book is a fun story for the children! All the insane doings of Things 1 and 2 would be very exciting to discuss with the children. Asking them questions along the way such as, 'Does this look right? Should the things being doing that? Should YOU be doing that?" Using their wildly inappropriate house etiquette in you favor to help teach the children and to remind the children of what they probably shouldn't do would be a big help in teaching the children the most appropriate way to act at home or in someone else's home.
  faylana.nap | Jul 26, 2016 |
A book I read as a kid. ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
This is a fun and cute book that has stood the passage of time. Even though I am no longer a child, it is still fun to read as it brings back memories of easy times. ( )
  eeminxs | Jun 1, 2016 |
I like the fantasy, the absurdity of thing one and two thing two and the rhyme.
To me the passivity of the two children is strange, - oh in the end they obey the fish.. i see by rereading ( and i hadn't noticed their expressions in the drawings - the conscience of the fish annoying. But maybe totally understandable since the book is from 1957.
The roles are clear. The voice of the cat is like Seuss's coeval [[Annie M.G. Schmidt]]'s one: it's nice to do some naughty things with fantasy.
The last line: What would you do a your mother asked you? the most important one.

For me it is needles to say/natural that having fun, children's play, is far more important than a tidy sitting room

It's difficult for me to figure out how i would have liked it if i had read this at my sixth, like a lot of you probably had done. ( or earlier as someone had read this out for you).

3,5 stars because it's from 1957 ( )
  EMS_24 | May 11, 2016 |
This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

The sun did not shine.
It was too wet to play.
So we sat in the house
All that cold, cold, wet day.

Michievous feline
Entertains kids with mayhem
Ignores miffed fish.
(Marissa_Baden)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,338,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible