The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat (edition 1957)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:Yasith
Title:The Cat in the Hat
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1957), Hardcover, 72 pages
Rating:*****

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Both books deal with children left home alone who endure escalating chaos until everything at last returns to normal.
    Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (gilberts)
    One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish by Dr. Seuss (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has the same kind of humor as The Cat in the Hat.
    My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems (goodiegoodie)

English (342)  Spanish (2)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  All (346)
The Cat in the Hat
Summary:
"The Cat in the Hat" by Dr. Seuss is about a cat that comes to teach Sam and Sally how to have some actual fun. While trying to teach them to have fun he seems to keep making big messes in the house, but with the help of his friends thing 1 and thing 2. At the end of the story The Cat in the hat cleans up his mess and leaves. The kids finally know how to have know and how to be happy.

Personal Reaction:
The Cat in the Hat is a good book to teach kids on how to have fun, but to make sure they clean up their mess when they are done playing.

Extension Ideas:
1. I would probably read this story to the children around the time we celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday. We would do an activity with patterns and make the Cat in the Hat's hat.
2. During his birthday I would come up with some cat in the hat games and have them play them.
  JessicaHerriage21 | Mar 26, 2017 |
The Cat in the Hat is about a silly cat that comes to put some fun in little Sam and Sally's day. While trying to have fun he seems to make large messes with the help of his friends thing 1 and thing 2. At the end of the story The Cat in the hat cleans up his mess and leaves.

The Cat in the Hat is a classic read. Children's and adults love this book. I can only relate to this story because I have children of my own who are very hard to entertain on dreary days when we cannot go outside, unfortunately I do not have the magic to make the mess go away like the Cat in the Hat.

In the classroom I would probably read this story to the children around the time we celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday. We would do an activity with patterns and make the Cat in the Hat's hat.
  Kirsten05 | Mar 26, 2017 |
Book Review
The Cat in The Hat is a children’s book written and illustrated by Dr. Seuss. The book tells the story of two children, Sally and her unnamed brother, who happen to be stuck at home on a rainy day with only their pet fish for company. Which is when the Cat shows up and brightens their day with his mischievous tricks and games he plays. Unfortunately, the children ignore the fish’s warnings against the Cat until his tricks and games along with Thing 1 and 2 ruin their clean house causing them to grow more and more worried until the Cat produces a machine that cleans the entire house. And after that the story reaches its end when the cat disappears with his two companions.

Personal Reflection
The Cat in The Hat is a book I always loved as a child. It was always something that could get my imagination going and gave me an escape from my boredom. Just reading about all the mischief he caused and the fun all the characters had throughout the story I couldn’t help but want more.

Classroom Extension Ideas
1. You could have children discuss a time they created or caused mischief.
2. Have an art project where students make their own version of the hat.
3. Students could draw an example of a mess they’ve made and had to clean up like the Cat did. ( )
  tabithamarie | Mar 24, 2017 |
In the book, The Cat in the Hat, Cat in the hat towards the end of the story feels like the children are not having as much as he is. He starts to realize that the children are becoming angry and he needs to change his approach. He decides to have all of his people help clean the house up before the children's mother gets home. ( )
  mikementzer21 | Mar 16, 2017 |
This book is a classic Dr. Seuss text. It is about two young children who are bored on a rainy day. Until a quirky cat shows up to turn their world upside down. This book is great with young readers: kindergarten to second grade. It can be used to introduce word families and rhyming words since many of these words are rhyming and has a good rhythm throughout. It can also be used for retelling and testing the students comprehension skills. ( )
  maria.baltazar | Mar 13, 2017 |

This is classic book to be used in a lesson about rhyming. This is also a book to use in celebrating Dr. Seus Day!
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

The sun did not shine.
It was too wet to play.
So we sat in the house
All that cold, cold, wet day.

Michievous feline
Entertains kids with mayhem
Ignores miffed fish.
(Marissa_Baden)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480001X, Hardcover)

He may be an old standby, but he never lets us down. When in doubt, turn to the story of the cat that transformed a dull, rainy afternoon into a magical and just-messy-enough adventure. There's another, hidden adventure, too: this book really will help children learn to read. With his simple and often single-vowel vocabulary, the good Doctor knew what he was doing: hear it, learn it, read it--laughing all the way. The Cat in the Hat is a must for any child's library.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

Two children sitting at home on a rainy day are visited by the Cat in the Hat who shows them some tricks and games.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible