The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

The Chocolate War (1974)

by Robert Cormier

Series: Chocolate War (1)

This is so incredibly well written. The motif of "Do I dare disturb the universe?" moves through the text. The book is full of lessons like, "If you want to get under a guy's skin, accuse him of being something he isn't. Otherwise, you're only telling him something he knows." I think the scary thing is that in this book, kids realize the inability of adults and struggle for real independence of thought and freedom. ( )
  CALammert | Apr 6, 2016 |
This was a fairly interesting read, but I'd likely relate to it more if I were a boy still in school. I love the writing style, loved reading the thought processes of the characters, enjoyed their processing and realizing adults don't have it all together, may not be honest, good, or content. I'm not recommending the book, however, as it didn't catch me or move me enough. It also won't go on my favorites shelf, but I don't feel I wasted my time. ( )
  MahanaU | Feb 26, 2016 |
Archie, head of the Vigils and manipulator supreme. Obie, his flunky. Carter, Vigils president and the jock. Brother Leon, slimy teacher and prospective headmaster. Jerry, whose Vigils assignment was to refuse to sell chocolates for the school. In the process he attempts to buck the Vigils but ends up paying for it. No redemption for the meek.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I know this book is supposed to be a classic and is a heavily banned book but I didn't particularly like it. I couldn't relate to it, there wasn't anything in this book that I found offensive (for the banning) and I felt like the story just ended. It was not that well written and the characters are weird. I also didn't like the fact that you get so many character perspectives in this book. Not recommended. ( )
  kwigginspost | Jan 25, 2016 |
I must admit that I'm somewhat confused over the hoopla surrounding The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. It was very violent and frightening to look into the hearts and minds of these adolescents who seemed to work without a conscience (and the adults were sometimes worse). The main character, Jerry Renault, stood for independence and going against the grain but the message at the end seemed to be that going against the tide only results in misery. In fact, the entire tone of the book seemed to be that if you don't do what you're told, misfortune will certainly befall you. Perhaps a secondary message is that the world is cruel and unfair and bad things happen. However, I read books to get away from the sad realities of life (and I don't think the world is all that bad anyway). This isn't to say that I don't enjoy "darker" books but there's usually some ray of light at the end. I will say that it was very well-written (excepting some typos which may have been the fault of the printer) and a page-turner. If you're prepared for an agonizing tale of woe and despair, this book will not disappoint. ( )
  AliceaP | Jan 20, 2016 |

Robert Cormierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flieger, RainerIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taler, FriedrichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They murdered him.
In bed once more, Jerry lay without moving, trying to summon sleep. Listening to his father's snores, he thought of how his father was actually sleeping his life away, sleeping even when he was awake, not really alive. And how about me? What was it the guy on the Common had said the other day, his chin resting on the Volkswagen like some grotesque John the Baptist? You're missing a lot of things in the world.

A young adult novel set in a parochial school. Jerry Renault does not want to participate in the school's chocolate sales. The headmaster, who has reasons of his own to want the sale to be successful, calls in the school's gang and asks them to put pressure on Jerry to make him conform. The results are catastrophic.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375829873, Paperback)

Does Jerry Renault dare to disturb the universe? You wouldn't think that his refusal to sell chocolates during his school's fundraiser would create such a stir, but it does; it's as if the whole school comes apart at the seams. To some, Jerry is a hero, but to others, he becomes a scapegoat--a target for their pent-up hatred. And Jerry? He's just trying to stand up for what he believes, but perhaps there is no way for him to escape becoming a pawn in this game of control; students are pitted against other students, fighting for honor--or are they fighting for their lives? In 1974, author Robert Cormier dared to disturb our universe when this book was first published. And now, with a new introduction by the celebrated author, The Chocolate War stands ready to shock a new group of teen readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:41 -0400)

A high school freshman discovers the devastating consequences of refusing to join in the school's annual fund raising drive and arousing the wrath of the school bullies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 763 books! | Top bar: Always visible