The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

The Chocolate War (1974)

by Robert Cormier

Series: Chocolate War (1)

English (159)  Italian (1)  All languages (160)
Short version: Lord of the Flies at Catholic school, done by a master.

Longer version: I really wish I had gotten to read this in high school. I didn't go to a Catholic school, but I did go to "catechism" every Wednesday at the local church school, and I also lived in the author's conservative Massachusetts hometown. The events in this book are all too believable.

This is the story of Jerry, a boy who has recently lost his mother to cancer. His dad is a pharmacist who works all hours, so Jerry is on his own a lot. Jerry starts at 9th grade at a new (parochial) school, tries out for the football team, starts to make friends, etc., and is doing pretty well. He soon learns about the existence of the Vigils, the ruling clique, who assign other students to pull pranks, commit vandalism, etc. Nobody refuses an assignment from the Vigils.

One of the teachers has gotten the school into financial trouble, so now each boy at the school is tasked with selling 50 boxes of chocolate, double the usual number, within a very short time. As a prank, the Vigils tell Jerry to refuse selling for 10 days, which does not go well for him. But it's what happens after that that sets the rest of the book in motion.

Cormier does a wonderful job of getting across what it means to lose a parent. He also succeeds at creating the claustrophobic atmosphere at the school, showing the corruption and brutality of its rulers (teachers and students), and describing Jerry's growing isolation as his friends fade away, one by one. You can't help but root (and fear) for Jerry as he stubbornly does what he thinks is right, against all the norms of the time and place.

Every high school should teach this book. ( )
  Pat_F. | Jul 25, 2014 |
Robert Cormier’s 1974 Young Adult novel, The Chocolate War has become a classic story of corruption and cruelty. The New York Times named it an outstanding book of the year, as did the American Library Association and School Library Journal. I occasionally like to dip into the world of YA literature, and this novel is a perfect reason to do so.

According to his website, Robert Cormier was born and has always lived in Leominster, Massachusetts. He grew up there, went to school there, courted and married there, and raised four children in the house where he and his wife, Connie, still live. "I never intend to live anywhere else," he says. Cormier was a newspaper reporter and columnist for 30 years. He began writing, "in the seventh grade.”

Cormier sets The Chocolate War in Trinity, a private academy for boys. Jerry Renault wants to play football, and he has a poster in his locker, which reads, “Do I dare disturb the universe?” Archie holds an important office in a secret society known as the Vigil. Everyone knows about the Vigil and their mostly harmless pranks, but no one talks about it – including the Brothers who run the school. An overly ambitious brother, Sebastian, seizes control of the school, when the headmaster is sick. He launches a grand plan to raise money by selling chocolate bars.

In one passage, Cormier describes one of the classrooms. “Brother Leon was getting ready to put on his show. Jerry knew the symptoms – all the guys knew them. Most of them were freshmen and had been in Leon’s class only a month or so but the teacher’s pattern had already emerged. First, Leon gave them a reading assignment. Then he’d pace up and down, up and down, restless sighing, wandering through the aisles, the blackboard pointer poised in his hand, the pointer he used either like a conductor’s baton or a musketeer’s sword. He’d use the tip to push around a book on a desk or to flick a kid’s necktie, scratching gently down some guy’s back, poking the pointer as if he were a rubbish collector picking his way through the debris of the classroom. One day, the pointer had rested on Jerry’s head for a moment, and then passed on. Unaccountably, Jerry had shivered, as if he had just escaped some terrible fate” (38-39). Do we professors really fall into those predictable routines?

That scene is all too familiar to me. I can still see the rubber-tipped pointer as it smudged the chalk, or came crashing down on the hand of an unwary student whose mind wandered.

The pranks were elaborate, sometimes funny, and usually required late night raids on the school. In one, a timid student, fearful of The Vigil, was ordered to loosen the screws in every desk and chair in one classroom. The student worked diligently, but after four hours, he had barely finished a quarter of the seats. Archie and his gang arrive to help finish the job.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Chocolate War, but I see from the list of “Also by Robert Cormier” that he has a sequel, Beyond the Chocolate War. I think I need to hunt that one down. 5 stars

--Jim, 6/7/14 ( )
  rmckeown | Jun 26, 2014 |
As we mentioned in our class discussion, this could definitely be a classic that is taught to high school students. The dark tone of the book will appeal to teens who are experiencing their own personal battles with peer pressure and conflict with society-at-large. The title might be somewhat misleading for teens, who might not understand that the book has dark, almost dystopian tones throughout the novel. Personally, I found it almost so depressing that I didn't enjoy the book, but this doesn't mean that it is an bad book. On the contrary, there is a lot to say packed into this small novel.
1 vote superlibrarian88 | Jun 7, 2014 |
The Chocolate Wars is the story of a Catholic school for boys which embarks on a massive chocolate sale. Jerry is ordered by the Vigils (a gang of students who make cruel assignments for the other students to carry out) to refuse to sell. He does so for the ten days that the Vigils command him to refuse, but when he continues to say no. The school turns against him in a brutal but clever usage of power by the Vigils. Ultimately he asks himself--Do I dare disturb the universe? I had read this book a few years ago with dissatisfaction—so decided to read it again to see if I felt differently—unfortunately the answer is no! This book is one of the saddest, “cruelest” novels I have ever read. The horror of what some people will do to each other left me feeling bleak, anxious and depressed. There is no redemption, no pretty package that gets all tied up in a neat little bow to remind us that it's all going to be ok. It is violent and dark and scary. In the end, the bad guys win, life can be bleak and sometimes just surviving is all we can expect. This is not the way I want to spend my reading time. 1 star out of 5. ( )
  marsap | May 14, 2014 |
The book started out well, the descriptions were vivid and the characters were interesting. I found myself drawn into the world that Archie, Goober, and Jerry created, and then the author left me feeling almost cheated at the end of the book. The same story and the same scene kept being repeated over and over again, which made me lose a little bit of interest. Don't get me wrong, it's a very quick read--I finished it in two hours. But, with it being a quick read, I felt that the plot just...ended. The moral of the story, one that was targeted towards young adults, was a pretty depressing one, to be honest. I read this book for a book club at work, and I'm afraid it fell short of what I wanted it to be. I remembered reading it in high school as an assignment, and now, rereading it as an adult, I'm just not impressed. ( )
  AllCrazyHere | May 7, 2014 |

Robert Cormierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They murdered him.
In bed once more, Jerry lay without moving, trying to summon sleep. Listening to his father's snores, he thought of how his father was actually sleeping his life away, sleeping even when he was awake, not really alive. And how about me? What was it the guy on the Common had said the other day, his chin resting on the Volkswagen like some grotesque John the Baptist? You're missing a lot of things in the world.

A young adult novel set in a parochial school. Jerry Renault does not want to participate in the school's chocolate sales. The headmaster, who has reasons of his own to want the sale to be successful, calls in the school's gang and asks them to put pressure on Jerry to make him conform. The results are catastrophic.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375829873, Paperback)

Does Jerry Renault dare to disturb the universe? You wouldn't think that his refusal to sell chocolates during his school's fundraiser would create such a stir, but it does; it's as if the whole school comes apart at the seams. To some, Jerry is a hero, but to others, he becomes a scapegoat--a target for their pent-up hatred. And Jerry? He's just trying to stand up for what he believes, but perhaps there is no way for him to escape becoming a pawn in this game of control; students are pitted against other students, fighting for honor--or are they fighting for their lives? In 1974, author Robert Cormier dared to disturb our universe when this book was first published. And now, with a new introduction by the celebrated author, The Chocolate War stands ready to shock a new group of teen readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:12 -0400)

A high school freshman discovers the devastating consequences of refusing to join in the school's annual fund raising drive and arousing the wrath of the school bullies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible