The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

The Chocolate War (1974)

by Robert Cormier

Series: Chocolate War (1)

English (175)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (177)
Boy, did I have a reaction to this book, and NOT a positive one. I had heard so many good things about this book recently from different reviewers that I wanted to try it. It was something that I missed because I'm at least a generation older than most of the reviewers, so I wanted to see what all the hub bub was about.
What a terrible message this books sends to the young people that are reading it: bullies win, most teachers are weak and inept, the little guy loses. What a downer. I'm glad I didn't read it when I was impressionable. I can see why so many publishers turned this book down.
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I'd almost consider it a classic. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
English 11 Novel Option: [The Chocolate War]. Summary from back cover:

“Refusing to sell chocolates in the annual Trinity School fund-raiser may not seem like a radical thing to do. But when Jerry challenges a secret school society called The Vigils, his defiant act turns into an all-out war. Now the only question is: Who will survive?”

I’m not the target audience obviously, but [The Chocolate War] was a decent read. Themes include: bullying, peer pressure, power structure amongst teens, “pack” behaviour, and grief. Certainly the potential cruelty of teens comes across clearly, as well as the emotional turmoil that a victim of bullying experiences. In this case, the behaviour of some of the teachers, particularly Brother Leon, is also cruel and inappropriate. The novel dates itself when Jerry is accused of being “queer” – I wonder about the response of our contemporary adolescents in this regard. I like that Jerry consciously ponders the question, Do I dare disturb the universe? ( )
  lit_chick | Sep 25, 2016 |
Robert Cormier's take on bullying and peer pressure is a classic read that causes an uproar and some called to ban it when it was first published in 1974 but the issues are still relevant today. Jerry Renault's goal is to make quarterback for the football team but The Vigils, a not-so-secret society decides to give him an "assignment" that changes all that. No one ever turns down an assignment from the vigils so when Jerry is asked to refuse to sell chocolates for the school fundraiser, he does it. They just don't expect him to keep doing and inspiring other kids in the school to do the same. The Vigils promised Brother Leon they would make sure all the chocolates are sold so now they have to make sure Jerry sells those chocolates. But Jerry decides to stand up to them and others follow. The Vigils have to prove their dominance so they start to stalk Jerry and eventually turn violent. The ending will leave readers wondering if it was all worth it.
1 vote bfsnook | Jul 12, 2016 |
It's a classic of the YA genre that might be considered too downbeat today - captured the cynicism of the time ('74) and the casual sadism of a boy's Catholic school. ( )
  AnnAnderson | Jun 25, 2016 |

Robert Cormierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Flieger, RainerIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma-Bakker, MoonjeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taler, FriedrichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They murdered him.
In bed once more, Jerry lay without moving, trying to summon sleep. Listening to his father's snores, he thought of how his father was actually sleeping his life away, sleeping even when he was awake, not really alive. And how about me? What was it the guy on the Common had said the other day, his chin resting on the Volkswagen like some grotesque John the Baptist? You're missing a lot of things in the world.
It was like a fart in his ear.
Do I dare disturb the universe?

A young adult novel set in a parochial school. Jerry Renault does not want to participate in the school's chocolate sales. The headmaster, who has reasons of his own to want the sale to be successful, calls in the school's gang and asks them to put pressure on Jerry to make him conform. The results are catastrophic.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375829873, Paperback)

Does Jerry Renault dare to disturb the universe? You wouldn't think that his refusal to sell chocolates during his school's fundraiser would create such a stir, but it does; it's as if the whole school comes apart at the seams. To some, Jerry is a hero, but to others, he becomes a scapegoat--a target for their pent-up hatred. And Jerry? He's just trying to stand up for what he believes, but perhaps there is no way for him to escape becoming a pawn in this game of control; students are pitted against other students, fighting for honor--or are they fighting for their lives? In 1974, author Robert Cormier dared to disturb our universe when this book was first published. And now, with a new introduction by the celebrated author, The Chocolate War stands ready to shock a new group of teen readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:41 -0400)

A high school freshman discovers the devastating consequences of refusing to join in the school's annual fund raising drive and arousing the wrath of the school bullies.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,221,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible