The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

The Chocolate War (1974)

by Robert Cormier

Series: Chocolate War (1)

Archie, head of the Vigils and manipulator supreme. Obie, his flunky. Carter, Vigils president and the jock. Brother Leon, slimy teacher and prospective headmaster. Jerry, whose Vigils assignment was to refuse to sell chocolates for the school. In the process he attempts to buck the Vigils but ends up paying for it. No redemption for the meek.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I know this book is supposed to be a classic and is a heavily banned book but I didn't particularly like it. I couldn't relate to it, there wasn't anything in this book that I found offensive (for the banning) and I felt like the story just ended. It was not that well written and the characters are weird. I also didn't like the fact that you get so many character perspectives in this book. Not recommended. ( )
  kwigginspost | Jan 25, 2016 |
I must admit that I'm somewhat confused over the hoopla surrounding The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. It was very violent and frightening to look into the hearts and minds of these adolescents who seemed to work without a conscience (and the adults were sometimes worse). The main character, Jerry Renault, stood for independence and going against the grain but the message at the end seemed to be that going against the tide only results in misery. In fact, the entire tone of the book seemed to be that if you don't do what you're told, misfortune will certainly befall you. Perhaps a secondary message is that the world is cruel and unfair and bad things happen. However, I read books to get away from the sad realities of life (and I don't think the world is all that bad anyway). This isn't to say that I don't enjoy "darker" books but there's usually some ray of light at the end. I will say that it was very well-written (excepting some typos which may have been the fault of the printer) and a page-turner. If you're prepared for an agonizing tale of woe and despair, this book will not disappoint. ( )
  AliceaP | Jan 20, 2016 |
This book was very hard to read. The sheer meanness for the sake of itself was difficult to swallow, even though I know it exists. As a person who is NOT a victim, it was tough for me to read the injustice done to the students and the teachers, and have them take it. Not once, but over and over. This is bullying in its rawest form, and reminds that it doesn't necessarily stop when you are out of school. The fact that there was very little redeeming value at the end only proved how true the story is. It should be required reading in high school. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
The Chocolate War Robert Cormier
4 Stars

A dark novel about gangs and the power balance that exists in schools, it preys on the fears and memories we all have about our childhood and not wanting to be the one singled out for the bullies attention.

The tension keeps building until the conclusion which leaves nothing solved.

Archie is a great evil character a boy allowed way to much power and control by teachers and peers alike who tolerate his actions even if they dont agree with them.

Father Leon is also a great sinister character unpredictable and cruel.

I kept hoping Jerry and Goober would find a way to escape the maelovence of the school. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |

Robert Cormierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flieger, RainerIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taler, FriedrichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They murdered him.
In bed once more, Jerry lay without moving, trying to summon sleep. Listening to his father's snores, he thought of how his father was actually sleeping his life away, sleeping even when he was awake, not really alive. And how about me? What was it the guy on the Common had said the other day, his chin resting on the Volkswagen like some grotesque John the Baptist? You're missing a lot of things in the world.

A young adult novel set in a parochial school. Jerry Renault does not want to participate in the school's chocolate sales. The headmaster, who has reasons of his own to want the sale to be successful, calls in the school's gang and asks them to put pressure on Jerry to make him conform. The results are catastrophic.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375829873, Paperback)

Does Jerry Renault dare to disturb the universe? You wouldn't think that his refusal to sell chocolates during his school's fundraiser would create such a stir, but it does; it's as if the whole school comes apart at the seams. To some, Jerry is a hero, but to others, he becomes a scapegoat--a target for their pent-up hatred. And Jerry? He's just trying to stand up for what he believes, but perhaps there is no way for him to escape becoming a pawn in this game of control; students are pitted against other students, fighting for honor--or are they fighting for their lives? In 1974, author Robert Cormier dared to disturb our universe when this book was first published. And now, with a new introduction by the celebrated author, The Chocolate War stands ready to shock a new group of teen readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:41 -0400)

A high school freshman discovers the devastating consequences of refusing to join in the school's annual fund raising drive and arousing the wrath of the school bullies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,250,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible