dismiss

Cold Storage: A Novel by David Koepp

Cold Storage: A Novel (original 2019; edition 2019)

by David Koepp (Author)

For readers of Andy Weir and Noah Hawley comes an astonishing debut by the screenwriter of Jurassic Park: a wild and terrifying adventure about three strangers who must work together to contain a highly contagious, deadly organism When Pentagon bioterror operative Roberto Diaz was sent to investigate a suspected biochemical attack, he found something far worse: a highly mutative organism capable of extinction-level destruction. He contained it and buried it in cold storage deep beneath a little-used military repository. Now, after decades of festering in a forgotten sub-basement, the specimen has found its way out and is on a lethal feeding frenzy.  Only Diaz knows how to stop it. He races across the country to help two unwitting security guards--one an ex-con, the other a single mother.  Over one harrowing night, the unlikely trio must figure out how to quarantine this horror again.  All they have is luck, fearlessness, and a mordant sense of humor.  Will that be enough to save all of humanity?… (more)
Member:petrichor8
Title:Cold Storage: A Novel
Authors:David Koepp (Author)
Info:Ecco (2019), 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Cold Storage by David Koepp (2019)

A deadly fungus slowly eats its way out of the deep mine facility where it has been stored and is set to infect the world. The only thing stopping it are three improbable humans; a single mom, an ex-con and an ex-military man with lots of experience dealing with this particular bit of nasty.
I read this book in one sitting; it was fast and fun and satisfyingly thrilling. Given that right now I’m in self isolation as the world deals with the Corona virus, this probably wasn’t the best choice of books to calm my brain, but I didn’t know what it was about when I grabbed it off my TBR pile.
I loved Mrs. Rooney; pictured my Nana in the role of heroine and then driving off in her car after her perfectly timed intervention. Enough said. Read it for a fun thrill. ( )
  JRlibrary | Mar 19, 2020 |
“... there is some growing green fungus and a Rat King and an exploding deer and a dude that wants to throw up in your mouth.”

The fungus wants to spread. And, it learns! And in this book, it has a point of view too! Kind of creepy to read during out current 'pandemic' of the coronavirus, but other than bodies exploding, the book itself isn't very creepy. I didn't like the characters, so I didn't care if they caught the virus or not. And the plot itself wasn't really much - virus comes from space with pieces of Skylab, virus gets contained, decades later, virus gets out. Throw in the aforementioned exploding bodies, and that's the book. Meh. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Mar 4, 2020 |
When Crichton was alive I read pretty much everything he wrote. I call them science thrillers and this book fits into that category. It’s often compared to Crichton, but it doesn’t win that contest. How could it not? It’s about fungus! I love mushrooms and have read a lot about them as a result of my passion for photographing them. The basic info at the beginning of the book is correct - they do take over insect bodies and redirect behavior in order to spread their spores. It’s crazy and wonderful, but it wasn’t enough. I basically skipped and skimmed a lot of sections, something I never did with C’s books. Here’s why -

I didn’t mind the interludes with Mooney - thinking about who he was, how he’d connect with the other characters and what his role would be was fun. It reminded me of how King brought characters into the story in The Stand. Especially Trashcan man. But the other character’s musings, backstory and inner monologues drove me nuts. The gross side trip into Teacake’s teenage sex life??! Bleah, spare me. Griffin’s hateful and largely useless existence - don’t need that. We get it that he’s a drunken asshole, we don’t need his drunken asshole life in such detail. And what is with Roberto? What an arrogant dickwad. Thinks he’s the man and his shit doesn’t stink. ‘I’m so great. I’m the only one who knows anything. Good thing these morons have me to save them.’ Blah, blah, blah. It got old fast and I skipped all of his self-aggrandizing daydreams.

And OMFG ease up with the anthropomorphizing already! There isn’t enough information for us to know if this fungus is from outer space or not. At least not to me, so making it basically sentient with an adaptive strategy when it gets stymied by something is ridiculous. As adaptable and weird as fungus is, it is not self-aware. It does not have a plan to infiltrate and disintegrate what it comes in contact with. It does not activate other organisms and direct them to carry out its evil intentions. Give me a break. If the writer had definitely stated that the fungus was not from here and was an alien life form, I could have bought it, but that was only implied. Not explained and certainly not verified by anyone on earth studying it.

Bad narrative flow - constant long interruptions to explain tech. Paragraphs of it. Whatever forward momentum or tension that was built was completely defused with these long passages of ‘look how much research I did’.

So...not recommended. Glad I got it from the Library. ( )
1 vote Bookmarque | Feb 7, 2020 |
Fungus from space and it's coming to get you!! Adventurous, gripping, and highly entertaining, this debut from one of Hollywood's most sought-after screenwriters will keep you turning the pages and worrying for the central characters in your down time. Great pace and decent character depth, he's definitely done some solid research on biohazard containment and control - but that doesn't effect the style of his writing, mostly enhances it!
  DevilStateDan | Jan 26, 2020 |
In a delightful blend of speculative science in the vein of Michael Crichton and cheesy horror a la Hunter Shea, Cold Storage by David Koepp follows two unlikely heroes as they come face to face with a deadly, adaptive organism whose danger has been all but forgotten.

Decades in the past, the tiny town of Kiwakurra, Australia is decimated by a mutated organism, dubbed Novus, capable of taking over hosts in order to propagate. Two American military specialists bring back a contained sample that is subsequently stored in a mountain warehouse in the deepest depths where the temperature is naturally cold year-round. The temperatures keep the organism in a state of near dormancy. The section housing the danger has been cemented off and forgotten. The warehouse was long since sold to the private sector and turned into storage units. But now those underground depths are warming up thanks to climate change, and Novus has awoken.

I adored this story! I don't want to give away what the organism really is, but it just made my day. There was enough science plausibility to make this a frightening read, but it was tempered by the interactions of Teacake and Naomi, our two unwitting protagonists, with one another and with the infected. They are both working at the storage complex the night the temperature rise triggered the sensors in sub-basement four. Attempting to locate the source of the alarm, and following it down bring them face to face with Novus. Their call for help brings Roberto Diaz, one of the two military specialists who brought in the organism way back when. He and his former partner are the only ones alive who truly appreciate how dangerous Novus is. Teacake and Naomi are swiftly converted believers though! The three of them have their work cut out for them in containing and neutralising the threat. I really loved how Teacake changed and grew into himself over the course of this single traumatic night, and glad Roberto was able to in turn give Teacake a better future. Highly recommended!

***Reviewed for the Tulsa Book Review. ( )
1 vote PardaMustang | Jan 14, 2020 |
...the book (and movie) that is most analogous to Koepp’s engaging debut novel, "Cold Storage" is Peter Benchley’s iconic "Jaws." In both cases, humans are put in peril by the evolutionary imperatives of a wild creature, which is particularly frightening since you can’t argue or reason with natural selection.

In Koepp’s world, however, the shark is a fungus.

And the humans in peril aren’t just the folks dumb enough to go in the water… it’s all of us. Which raises the stakes – and the fun – immeasurably. If you find profound anxiety fun.
added by Lemeritus | editUSA Today, Tod Goldberg (Sep 6, 2019)

This is a classic thriller in the tradition of Crichton and Richard Preston. If you loved “The Andromeda Strain” and adored “The Hot Zone,” and if you relish, as I do, horrendous and revolting descriptions of distended bodies writhing and heaving and ribcages bursting open with the sound of snapping sticks and guts flying into the faces of dumbfounded people, and if you like the image of unwholesome green globules of fungus bubbling along the ground toward a paralyzed scientist, then this is the thriller for you. But Koepp is better than Crichton in three significant ways: He writes well, he has a wicked sense of humor and his characters are so keenly, intelligently and even movingly drawn that they might have stepped out of a literary novel. On every level, “Cold Storage” is pure, unadulterated entertainment.
added by Lemeritus | editNew York Times, Douglas Preston (pay site) (Aug 30, 2019)

Koepp builds a tight plot as the three race against time and the fungus, a fictional but all-too-convincing monster of an organism that, if it escapes, could bring on global extinctions. Roberto, Travis, and Naomi are engaging, believable characters. Koepp is skilled at sharp, often humorous dialogue, and Roberto’s discovery of the physical barriers to being a hero at age 68 is both darkly funny and an effective source of suspense....Unlikely heroes battle a frightening fungus that could wipe out humanity in this taut, mordant thriller debut.
added by Lemeritus | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 17, 2019)

Breakneck pacing and nonstop action compensate for the predictable story line and the occasional contrivance. Michael Crichton fans won’t want to miss this one.
added by Lemeritus | editPublishers Weekly (May 30, 2019)

For Melissa, who said, "Yeah, sure!"
The world's largest single living organism is Armillaria solidpes, better know as the honey fungus. -Prologue
After they'd burned their clothes, shaved their heads, and scrubbed themselves until they bled, Roberto Diaz and Trini Romano were allowed back into the country
This colony of Cordyceps novus was a bit like Reno, Nevada—popular once, but limited by location and climate, and not anywhere a serious person would want to go.
This colony was similar to Los Angeles—slow, inevitable, and in no one’s best interests.
In urban terms, this third colony was Atlantic City. Used to be a big deal, dead on its feet now.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,649,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible