Old Bones by Douglas Preston

Old Bones (edition 2019)

by Douglas Preston (Author)

Bestselling authors Preston and Child bring the true story of the ill-fated Donner Party to new life in a thrilling blend of archaeology, history, murder, and suspense. For as the real truth of what happened--one that is far more shocking and bizarre than mere cannibalism--those ancient horrors lead to present-day violence on a grand scale.and scale.… (more)
Member:petrichor8
Title:Old Bones
Authors:Douglas Preston (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2019), 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Old Bones (Nora Kelly) by Douglas Preston (Author)

Old Bones by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child is a very highly recommended tale of suspense and the first book in a new series.

Nora Kelly, a curator at the Santa Fe Institute of Archaeology, is approached by historian Clive Benton with an offer to lead a team in search of the third 'Lost Camp' of the Donner Party. Benton has found out where the camp may be located from a long-lost diary of one of the victims. The Donner Party became snow bound and trapped in the Sierra Nevada mountains over the winter of 1846-47 when some members of the party resorted to cannibalism in an attempt to survive. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Nora. When Benton also informs Nora that there may be $20 million in gold coins hidden in the camp, the search acquires a sense of secrecy to keep treasure hunters away.

During this same time, new FBI special agent Corrie Swanson is assigned her first case. She is investigating the murder of a man found on top of the exposed grave of Florence Regis. After the body is removed, the coffin is opened and it is discovered that the upper part of Regis' body is missing. As Swanson continues the investigation, she uncovers a link between Regis and the Donner Party - and there are other cases that may also be linked. This link sends Swanson to Nora's dig site where the two strong, intelligent women meet - and clash - for the first time.

Long time readers of Preston and Child will recognize both Nora Kelly and Corrie Swanson as characters who have appeared in some novels from the Pendergast series I am absolutely thrilled to see that a new series is beginning with Nora Kelly as the main character (and I assume Carrie Swanson will be joining her). The two together could make for a dynamic relationship, since they are intelligent, analytical, observant, strong women. They may clash, but they could also play off each other nicely. For those who need to know, Pendergast makes a brief appearance at the end.

The writing is excellent, as expected, and the plot is intriguing and fascinating. Perhaps it helps being familiar with New Mexico and the Sierra Nevada's, as well as the history of the Donner Party. Although this novel is fiction - there is no third lost camp - it does relay what happened during that winter. Old Bones can be enjoyed without reading any of the previous novels that include Kelly and Swanson as characters. Preston and Child include pertinent facts and background information about the characters and expound upon the information here, furthering their character envelopment. As always, I will continue to read any book Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child write.

http://www.shetreadssoftly.com/2019/11/old-bones.html ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Nov 19, 2019 |
Old Bones is the latest collaboration of authors Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. It's also the first book in the Nora Kelly series.

Fans of Preston and Child will recognize Nora Kelly from Cemetery Dance - the ninth Pendergast novel. I was happy to see her again - and that she will be getting her own series. Joining her is rookie FBI Agent Corrie Swanson - who also appeared in two Pendergast novels.

Preston and Child often draw on history and actual events in their books. In Old Bones, it is the ill fated 1847 Donner Party. Nora is approached by a historian who has found proof that there is a 'lost camp' in addition to the camps already documented. Further more, there may be a fortune waiting to be found at that lost camp. I am fascinated by archaeology and the idea that the past is just waiting to be uncovered. I wondered what Preston and Child had imagined for this latest.

The dig begins.....but so does trouble. Within a few days, one of the team is murdered. And Swanson joins the dig.

Settling in with Old Bones felt like rejoining old friends for their latest adventure. Preston and Child never disappoint. The plotting captured my interest, the action kept me turning pages and I liked the lead characters. And best of all, Pendergast made an appearance! But that's not to say that I didn't enjoy Kelly and Swanson. They play well off each other and make a good team - although they don't see themselves as such.

Another great easy read from Preston and Child - I always look forward to their books and will be eagerly awaiting the next in the Nora Kelly series ( )
  Twink | Oct 15, 2019 |
Authors are beginning a new series involving Nora Kelly, archeologist, whom we've met in Pendergast novels. She also hooks up (meets) another familiar character from Pendergast novels, Corrie Swanson, who is now a fledgling FBI agent. In fact, her first real case puts her next to Nora who is digging up bones from the Donner Party. Good tale with a twist on the real history. ( )
  LJCain | Oct 14, 2019 |
A very good novel by Preston and Child, but not quite up to the standards of their Pendergast novels. However, Pendergast is a character of his own and brings special things to novels with him in them. This is likely the first of a series of Nora Kelly books, and I expect future ones to be better as they further build her character. It is also the first novel of theirs where Corrie Swanson appears as a freshman FBI agent - I can see the authors possibly starting a new series with her as the main character, or having her appear in other book series of theirs. ( )
  highlander6022 | Oct 14, 2019 |
Enjoyed the historical fiction. Could have done without the buried treasure. ( )
1 vote rstock | Sep 28, 2019 |

Preston, DouglasAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, LincolnAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,730,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible