The Crucible (Penguin Plays) by Arthur…

The Crucible (Penguin Plays) (original 1953; edition 1976)

by Arthur Miller

8,82074341 (3.67)161
Member:smeds10
Title:The Crucible (Penguin Plays)
Authors:Arthur Miller
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (1976), Edition: 49th, Paperback, 152 pages

The Crucible by Arthur Miller (1953)

English (73)  Italian (1)  All languages (74)
This is so good on so many levels. It is not only good drama, but immerses the reader into the times of the Salem Witch Trials. Brilliant. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
One of the most gripping plays I've read, though I look forward to someday seeing it actual acted out. It's been years since I've read it, and I still remember the haunting end very clearly. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
A history lesson of the witch trials and the role hysteria can play in affecting a person's psyche. Portrays human nature very well. Great resource for a literature class. ( )
  megsrene | Feb 3, 2014 |
This is a play, telling the story of the Salem witch trials of 1692.

It was o.k. I don't usually read plays (though I think this was one I read in high school), so it was a bit different for me. Of course, in order to make it a play, a lot had to be cut out, and only certain people were focused on. There were definitely some dramatic moments that made it a little more exciting at various points. It's a quick read. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 11, 2013 |
A classic. Hated it when I first read it. Now I love it. So many levels of honesty and bravery. Redefines winning and losing. ( )
  TJWilson | Oct 13, 2013 |
For Mary
A small upper bedroom in the home of Reverend Samuel Parris, Salem, Massachusetts, in the spring of the year 1692.
A Note on the Historical Accuracy of This Play

This play is not history in the sense in which the word is used by the academic historian.
PROCTOR: I have trouble enough without I come five mile to hear him preach only hellfire and bloody damnation. Take it to heart, Mr. Parris. There are many others who stay away from church these days because you hardly ever mention God any more.
PARRIS: There is a party in this church. I am not blind; there is a faction and a party.

PROCTOR: Against you?
PUTNAM: Against him and all authority.
PROCTOR: Why, then I must find it and join it.
PARRIS. Why could there not have been poppets hid where no one ever saw them?

PROCOTR. There might also be a dragon with five legs in my house, but no one has ever seen it.

Arthur Miller's, The Cucible, is a play that is based on the tragic event in history of the Salem Witch Trials in Salem, Massachusetts. Presenting the themes of right and wrong, truth and decit, and prejudice and accepance, The Crucible causes its readers to reflect on their own morals and standards along with informing them of a terrible moment in America's past where many innocent people lost their lives. I really enjoyed this book; and the ideas and challenges it presents seem to be very valuable and insighful.

Based on historical people and real events, Arthur Miller's play uses the destructive power of socially sanctioned violence unleashed by the rumors of witchcraft as a powerful parable about McCarthyism.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:16 -0400)

"I believe that the reader will discover here the essential nature of one of the strangest and most awful chapters in human history," Arthur Miller wrote in an introduction to The Crucible, his classic play about the witch-hunts and trials in seventeenth-century Salem, Massachusetts. Based on historical people and real events, Miller's drama is a searing portrait of a community engulfed by hysteria. In the rigid theocracy of Salem, rumors that women are practicing witchcraft galvanize the town's most basic fears and suspicions; and when a young girl accuses Elizabeth Proctor of being a witch, self-righteous church leaders and townspeople insist that Elizabeth be brought to trial. The ruthlessness of the prosecutors and the eagerness of neighbor to testify against neighbor brilliantly illuminate the destructive power of socially sanctioned violence. Written in 1953, The Crucible is a mirror Miller uses to reflect the anti-communist hysteria inspired by Senator Joseph McCarthy's witch-hunts in the United States. Within the text itself, Miller contemplates the parallels, writing: "Political opposition ... is given an inhumane overlay, which then justifies the abrogation of all normally applied customs of civilized behavior. A political policy is equated with moral right, and opposition to it meets with diabolical malevolence."… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,358,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible