dismiss

New Moon (2006)

by Stephenie Meyer

Series: Twilight (2)

39,39697728 (3.68)2 / 675
When the Cullens, including her beloved Edward, leave Forks rather than risk revealing that they are vampires, it is almost too much for eighteen-year-old Bella to bear, but she finds solace in her friend Jacob until he is drawn into a "cult" and changes in terrible ways.
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (alaskabookworm)
    alaskabookworm: In terms of both the writing and the depth of her story, Bray's series is top notch.
    Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz (Runa)
    The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice (Leishai)
    Leishai: Ein etwas klassischer oder romantischer Vampir-Roman, vielleicht für die ältere Generation als die der Twilight-Fans geeignet.
    Peeps by Scott Westerfeld (goodiegoodie)
    Book of Shadows by Cate Tiernan (alexa_d, mgcdreamer13)
    alexa_d: Morgan and Cal have the same romantic dynamic as Bella and Edward!
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (Leishai)
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)
    A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas (LitWits)
    Romeo and Juliet (No Fear Shakespeare) by SparkNotes Editors (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The original star-crossed lovers, this is obviously where Stephenie Meyer found a lot of the theme for New Moon
    Shelter by Tara Shuler (avry15)
    avry15: this is also vampire romance book.. but in this one-it's another story , the girl here is the vampire and the so-called protector of the boy, though, the boy's true identity is later revealed... and instead having the rivalry of a wolf, a vampire-hunter takes its place..… (more)

English (939)  Spanish (7)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  All languages (977)
Can you tell I need some time off lately? :) This is an easy-to-guess plot but for some reason it holds my attention. I think a part of it has to do with that he book is very thick and makes you feel very intelligent. You know, only smart people read thick books. Never mind that there are only about 12 words on each page. ( )
  gakgakg | May 28, 2020 |
  hexenlibrarian | May 19, 2020 |
Not sure how to rate this one. One one hand, I continue to be entertained by the story. On the other, yikes Bella is a hot mess and she has unhealthy relationships with basically everyone in the story.

Edward is controlling and abusive. Her dad has no idea what to do with her, and its weird how she is like his housekeeper/cook. Bella uses Jacob.

I wouldn't fully pick up on these troubling relationships as a 14-year-old. So, I think this is a good book to discuss with a young reader if s/he wants to read the series. Talk about the toxic behavior! Maybe avoid relationships with vampires and werewolves and also for sure avoid relationships with controlling, abusive people.

Still. I'm entertained. Not sure what that says about me.

For more, see: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/psychologist-the-movies/201111/relations...

and https://www.wired.com/2011/01/using-twilight-to-educate-about-abusive-relationsh... ( )
  kaciereads | Apr 9, 2020 |
Bella Swan is almost 18 years old and blissfully happy with her vampire boyfriend, Edward Cullen. While celebrating her birthday with Edward's family of `vegetarian' vampires. A group of deadly vampires hunt for Bella's "special" blood, convinces Edward that he's simply too dangerous to be around her. He decides to leave the town of Forks in order to ensure her safety - leaving her behind, angry and depressed. Soon Edward comes back, Bella begs for him to turn her into one of his kind. He refuses because he doesn't want her to be damned forever. Bella gets severely sick from child birth, and the only way to heal her is turning her into a vampire. Edward does so, and now they can adventure they life together as one.
I enjoy this book series because it's so girly. Sometimes curling up with a chick flick book is the best thing to do at times. These books really get me lovesick because sometimes I wish I could have this is my life. Speaking like a teenaged girl, these books are so cute, and make you daydream often. I would rate this a 4 out of 5 because it's definitely not the BEST book I've ever read, but it is a good one. I would recommend this book to all ages if they like romance and a little bit of action. I like the characters and the unexpected twists. This book is definitely made for long-lasting entertainment. ( )
  MBeedham.ELA5 | Mar 23, 2020 |
This one compared to Twilight wasn't as good... for a great while it was kind of emo-ish and depressing, though I did want to sit next to Bella and cry for her. I loved the parts between her and Jacob those were great as well. And then of course the parts with the vampires back in the pictures can have a book about vampires without the vampires lol. It was a good book but not my fav out of the series. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
Less streamlined than Twilight yet just as exciting, New Moon will more than feed the bloodthirsty hankerings of fans of the first volume and leave them breathless for the third.
added by timspalding | editSchool Library Journal, Hillias J. Martin (Jul 13, 2009)

This best-selling sequel to “Twilight” — which introduced Edward, the world’s most gentlemanly 17-year-old vampire, and Bella, an ordinary teenager in Forks, Wash. — appropriately begins with an epigraph from “Romeo and Juliet”; love and death are once again entwined in their curiously absorbing romance.

Despite Bella's flat and obsessive personality, this tale of tortured demon lovers entices.
added by ncgraham | editKirkus Reviews, Francesca Belham

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gelada Fuster, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kadushin, IlyanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These violent delights

have violent ends and in their triumph die,

like fire and powder, which, as they kiss, consume.

Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene VI
For my dad, Stephen Morgan —

No one has ever been given more loving and unconditional support than I have been given by you.

I love you, too.
I felt like I was trapped in one of those terrifying nightmares, the one where you have to run, run till your lungs burst, but you can't make your body move fast enough.
Times passes. Even when it seems impossible.

I knew we were both in mortal danger. Still, in that instant, I felt well. Whole. I could feel my heart racing in my chest, the blood pulsing hot and fast through my veins again. My lungs filled deep with the sweet scent that came off his skin. It was like there had never been any hole in my chest. I was perfect - not healed, but as if there had never been a wound in the first place.

For Bella Swan, there is one thing more important than life itself: Edward Cullen. But being in love with a vampire is even more dangerous than Bella could ever have imagined. Edward has already rescued Bella from the clutches of one evil vampire, but now, as their daring relationship threatens all that is near and dear to them, they realize their troubles may be just beginning...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,533,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible