New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

New Moon (2006)

by Stephenie Meyer

Other authors: Young Kim (Illustrator)

Series: Twilight Saga (2)

34,07490419 (3.75)2 / 629
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice (Leishai)
    Leishai: Ein etwas klassischer oder romantischer Vampir-Roman, vielleicht für die ältere Generation als die der Twilight-Fans geeignet.
    Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz (Runa)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (alaskabookworm)
    alaskabookworm: In terms of both the writing and the depth of her story, Bray's series is top notch.
    Book of Shadows by Cate Tiernan (alexa_d, mgcdreamer13)
    alexa_d: Morgan and Cal have the same romantic dynamic as Bella and Edward!
    Peeps by Scott Westerfeld (goodiegoodie)
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (Leishai)
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)
    Romeo and Juliet (No Fear Shakespeare) by SparkNotes Editors (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The original star-crossed lovers, this is obviously where Stephenie Meyer found a lot of the theme for New Moon
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (natalieinjeans)
    Shelter by Tara Shuler (avry15)
    avry15: this is also vampire romance book.. but in this one-it's another story , the girl here is the vampire and the so-called protector of the boy, though, the boy's true identity is later revealed... and instead having the rivalry of a wolf, a vampire-hunter takes its place..… (more)

English (869)  German (7)  Spanish (6)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (905)
Not quite as good as the first one, but still couldn't put it down. ( )
  Denise.Jenne | Sep 29, 2015 |
"I read Twilight and was not that impressed by it, but went forth and grabed this one anyway, in hopes that it would be better. It wasn't.

Bella keeps being completely clueless, the difference is that on this book, she spends most of her time crying around about not having Edward anymore. She rambles on and on for hundreds of pages talking so much about the ""hole in her chest"" and how it burned and itched and stung, that the plot seemed to vanish beneath her pained musings and constant reminders of Edward.

Jacob ends up being a slightly more interesting character with goals and a little bit more of a personality. Still devoid of any mannerisms, as are ALL the personnel of this series, but he's at least more dynamic.

However, the story goes on at a very slow pace until werewolves are introduced. I though sparkling vampires would be the utmost mistake that the author would make on this series, bit they weren't. I always liked werewolves a lot, but Meyer's were boring. She had no better way to describe them than ""exploding"". Every werewolf exploded, all the time, over nothing. Once Bella finally realizes what’s going on, she is like ""whatever, I still only care about Edward"". Actually, there is no need to review this anymore. This books, apparently, are all about ""how awesome it is to have a vampire boyfriend"", and is under that premise that the rest of the story goes on.

In the end, one hundred pages of over dramatic swooning about how Bella misses Edward later, she is finally exposed to the ugly side of vampire-lifestyle. All things considered, I did not like this book on the slightest. The only thing that redeems it, in my opinion, are the cool scenes with the Volturi - who seem to be the ones who get closest to ""real"" vampires to this point -, at the end; but they were not enough to save this story. However, as I said on my review of Twilight, I am not anyone to say that a book should not be read. Read it, if you will, but at your own risk.

The Last Passage
Jacob watched us with a dark scowl on his bitter face. The anticipation drained from his eyes, and then, just before the forest came between us, his face suddenly crumpled in pain.
I knew that last glimpse of his face would haunt me until I saw him smile again.
And right there I vowed that I would see him smile, and soon. I would find a way to keep my friend.
Edward kept his arm tight around my waist, holding me close. That was the only thing that held the tears inside my eyes.
I had some serious problems.
My best friend counted me with his enemies.
Victoria was still on the loose, putting everyone I loved in danger.
If I didn’t become a vampire soon, the Volturi would kill me.
And now it seemed that if I did, the Quileute werewolves would try to do the job themselves—along with trying to kill my future family. I didn’t think they had any chance really, but would my best friend get himself killed in the attempt?
Very serious problems. So why did they all suddenly seem insignificant when we broke through the last of the trees and I caught sight of the expression on Charlie’s purple face?
Edward squeezed me gently. “I’m here.”
I drew in a deep breath.
That was true. Edward was here, with his arms around me.
I could face anything as long as that was true.
I squared my shoulders and walked forward to meet my fate, with my destiny solidly at my side.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Not enough Edward. ( )
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
Not enough Edward. ( )
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
I loved escaping reality with this modern-day Romeo & Juliet, but sometimes it was so unnecessarily dramatic. While Interview With a Vampire had similarly hooked me, this novel had more unrealistic drama. For example, Edward's suicide could have easily been accomplished in La Push, right? Jacobs clan could've done him in in 2 seconds and he also could have seen Bella's corpse first. So the big high-action climactic chapters in which Bella's chasing Romeo to prevent his suicide were unnecessary and almost silly. That was the only time I judged the book as less than captivating. I'm expecting the next book to have a similar ridiculous, high-adventure in the last third, and I wonder if I'll like it less...do they get formulaic?

Any way, a truly "good read." The love triangle, the personal conflicts, etc. really provoked my emotions. Half the time I just hated Bella. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Less streamlined than Twilight yet just as exciting, New Moon will more than feed the bloodthirsty hankerings of fans of the first volume and leave them breathless for the third.
added by timspalding | editSchool Library Journal, Hillias J. Martin (Jul 13, 2009)
This best-selling sequel to “Twilight” — which introduced Edward, the world’s most gentlemanly 17-year-old vampire, and Bella, an ordinary teenager in Forks, Wash. — appropriately begins with an epigraph from “Romeo and Juliet”; love and death are once again entwined in their curiously absorbing romance.
Despite Bella's flat and obsessive personality, this tale of tortured demon lovers entices.
added by ncgraham | editKirkus Reviews, Francesca Belham

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kim, YoungIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gelada Fuster, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kadushin, IlyanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These violent delights

have violent ends and in their triumph die,

like fire and powder, which, as they kiss, consume.

Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene VI
For my dad, Stephen Morgan —

No one has ever been given more loving and unconditional support than I have been given by you.

I love you, too.
I felt like I was trapped in one of those terrifying nightmares, the one where you have to run, run till your lungs burst, but you can't make your body move fast enough.
Times passes. Even when it seems impossible.

Aus der Amazon.de-Redaktion
Eines Nachts hat Bella Swan einen schrecklichen Albtraum, in dem ihre bereits verstorbene Großmutter eine nicht unbedeutende Rolle zu spielen scheint. Bella betrachtet das zerknitterte, vom Alter gezeichnete Gesicht, das ihr da gegenüber getreten ist -- als plötzlich ihre große Liebe Edward auf der Bildfläche erscheint, schön und strahlend wie immer. Da erkennt Bella, dass es gar nicht ihre Großmutter ist, der sie in die von Falten umgebenen Augen blickt. Es ist ihr eigenes, um Jahrzehnte gealtertes Spiegelbild, dem sie in diesem plötzlichen Akt der Erkenntnis schutzlos ausgeliefert ist. Der ewig junge Edward aber tritt auf sie zu, drückt ihr seine eiskalten, aber perfekten Lippen auf die runzeligen Wangen, und flüstert: „Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag“.

Ganz so schlimm wie im Albtraum ist es nicht im wahren Leben von Bella Swan in Stephenie Meyers Roman Bis(s) zur Mittagsstunde. Aber ein wenig zeigt er doch die abgrundtiefen Ängste der Ich-Erzählerin. Zwar ist die Protagonistin „offiziell erst 18 Jahre alt“. Aber ihre große Liebe Edward, der sie mit völliger Hingabe auf ewig ergeben ist, wird auch in Zukunft gar nicht altern. Edward ist ein Vampir der verführerischsten Sorte, und Bella mag sich gar nicht überlegen, was geschieht, wenn sie an der Seite dieses Dorian Gray der Unterwelt langsam aber sicher als unabwendbare Spur der Zeit ihre Schönheit verliert. Dann plötzlich ist Bella von Edward verlassen. Warum nur lässt er sie im Stich? Was steckt hinter seinem Weggang? In Bis(s) zur Mittagsstunde muss Bella wichtige Entscheidungen treffen. Aber sie ist bereit, für ihre ungewöhnliche Liebe zu kämpfen. Dabei setzt sie für ihre unbezwingbare Leidenschaft und Liebe sogar die ein oder andere Freundschaft aufs Spiel...

Nach Bis(s) zum Morgengrauen ist Bis(s) zur Mittagsstunde der zweite Roman um Bella und Edward. Und es ist sicher nicht der letzte. Denn es gibt ja noch weitere Tageszeiten, zu denen man gebissen werden kann. Und das ist ein Glück, weil Meyer etwas geschafft hat, was sonst nur wenigen Autorinnen und Autoren gelingt: dem guten alten Vampir-Mythos nämlich neue Seiten abzugewinnen -- und damit neues Leben einzuhauchen. -- Isa Gerck -- Dieser Text bezieht sich auf eine andere Ausgabe: Gebundene Ausgabe .
Ein kleiner, aber blutiger Zwischenfall an ihrem achtzehnten Geburtstag wird Bella fast zum Verhängnis. Edward sieht keinen anderen Ausweg: Er muss sie verlassen. Für immer. Bella ist verzweifelt, einzig die Freundschaft zu Jacob hält sie am Leben. Da erfährt Bella, dass Edward in höchster Gefahr schwebt. Und sein Schicksal liegt in ihren Händen. Sie muss zu ihm, rechtzeitig, bis zur Mittagsstunde … Nach »Biss zum Morgengrauen« ein weiterer Bestseller um Bella und Edward, der den Leser bis zur letzten Seite fesselt. -- Dieser Text bezieht sich auf eine andere Ausgabe:

Legions of readers entranced by Twilight are hungry for more and they won't be disappointed. In New Moon, Stephenie Meyer delivers another irresistible combination of romance and suspense with a supernatural twist. The "star-crossed" lovers theme continues as Bella and Edward find themselves facing new obstacles, including a devastating separation, the mysterious appearance of dangerous wolves roaming the forest in Forks, a terrifying threat of revenge from a female vampire and a deliciously sinister encounter with Italy's reigning royal family of vampires, the Volturi. Passionate, riveting, and full of surprising twists and turns, this vampire love saga is well on its way to literary immortality.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

When the Cullens, including her beloved Edward, leave Forks rather than risk revealing that they are vampires, it is almost too much for eighteen-year-old Bella to bear, but she finds solace in her friend Jacob until he is drawn into a "cult" and changes in terrible ways.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,708,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible