Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely (2007)

by Melissa Marr

Series: Wicked Lovely (1)

4,765271982 (3.79)300

In this urban fantasy world, faeries exist - but 99% of people can't see them. Lucky Aislinn is the exception - and the faeries she can see are NOT all dewdrops and sunshine. Some are just plain nasty and evil and violent.

The Summer King is on an eternal search of his Queen that will unbind his powers and free himself - and the world - from the cruel rule of his mother, the Winter Queen. When he sets his sights on Aislinn, some interesting courting begins; she is also being persued by a mortal (and mortally HOT!) guy, Seth.

This was an interesting novel about choice and creative problem solving. The main character was likable but kind of annoying; I guess she seemed like too much the victim one moment and then came on too strong the next. One of the things holding me back from giving this a 4 star rating is the existence of these "rules" everyone must follow...for the sake of following rules. It's not a totally uncommmon feature in urban fantasy/faery stories, but I still find it irritating. I.e., I have this role to play and have to fulfill it because it's the "rules" and even though I hate it I have to do it anyway..." Blah. But it's really a minor point. I will definitley be reading the next book set in the same world (focusing on different characters), Ink Exchange. This author definitely has a lot of potential. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
I genuinely like Melissa Marr's writing. Although her stories are littered with clichés, she always chooses the noble way out. I appreciate that, originality is harder and harder to find these days. Her stories or just gripping enough to keep the reader curious, without feeding to obsession. Her characters are relatable enough, although they are not deep. This was a fun, fluffy read. ( )
  Morteana | Feb 4, 2016 |
I was not expecting to enjoy this story but I really did. I thought I would find the same ole YA fairy story, ah but it was so much more. First the characters are interesting, deep and have so many twists to them, making them riveting to read. Second, There is a deep friendship and romance, covered in a realistic manner. Not sickening sweet, but with thorns. Third, the fairy story had a nice fresh modern twist on an old tale. It was not the best but better than most. 3.6 stars ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I admit I was a little worried after I read the reviews but since my taste in books seems to differ usually greatly from others. I enjoyed this book. I chose this book with out reading the plot. I just honestly found the cover art interesting. From the first page I found it interesting and easy to read. I hate when a book starts off boring or tries to cram big and unnecessary words down your throat. I unlike some of the other reviews found this book fun to read. If you expect to much from a book then expect to be disappointed. This isn't an earth shattering book but it is a nice easy read. ( )
  tianicolle | Jan 27, 2016 |
  tianicolle | Jan 27, 2016 |

Melissa Marrprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chapter 1:  SEERS, or Men of the SECOND SIGHT,…have very terrifying Encounters with [the FAIRIES, they call Sleagh Maith, or the Good People]. -The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)
Chapter 2: [The Sleagh Maith, or the Good People, are] terrifyed by nothing earthly so much as by cold Iron. -The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)
For Loch, Dylan, and Asia, who believed in me even when I didn't, and the memories of John Marr Sr. and Marjorie Marr, whose presences linger and give me strength when I would falter.
The Summer King knelt before her. (Prologue)
"Four-ball, side pocket." Aislinn pushed the cue forwards with a short, quick thrust; the ball dropped into the pocket with a satisfying clack. (Chapter 1)
"Please let it be I'm looking for," he whispered to the scepter of the Winter Queen clutched in his hand and hoped - a brief moment of optimism. But then the ice is bored into them, spread out like shards of glass in her veins. "Keenan," she cried. She stumbled toward him, but he walked away, no longer lit, it did not look at it anymore. Then it was a wolf allein. Nur keeping her company while she waiting to tell the next girl, how stupid it was to love him, trust him.

The clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in this cool, urban 21st century faery tale. Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries. Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world, and would blind her if they knew of her Sight. Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries. Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer. Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention. But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King and has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost! Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working any more, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Faerie intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning 21st century faery tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Aislinn, who has the rare ability to see faeries, is drawn against her will into a centuries-old battle between the Summer King and the Winter Queen, and the survival of her life, her love, and summer all hang in the balance.

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,993,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible