Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely (2007)

by Melissa Marr

Series: Wicked Lovely (1)

I listened to this just after I, Coriander and it was an interesting contrast. It may have been the same reader, but the style was very similar to that of Stephanie Meyer's Twilight. There was a point where Aislinn did something terribly stupid and I was ready to give up on it, but it improved and I enjoyed the silly contemporary story of a girl who can see fairies (the creepy, not the cute kind) and is stalked by a gorgeous fairy king. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Second time reading, first time reviewing.
I really like the world Melissa Marr created in this. A book about faeries and courts before ACOTAR came out! The Summer King's search for his queen over a thousand years has culminated in his latest choice, Aislinn. She has always been able to see the fae and was taught to fear the faeries and never let them know she can see them. Aislinn just wants a normal life and a relationship with Seth, but Keenan has marked her and her human life is falling away.
This was fun to read, I liked the different characters and their perspectives on things, especially the human vs fae. The narrator of the audiobook did a good job with subtle voice changes and making the story enjoyable. There is so much to this world and I'm excited to continue with the series. ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
Okay, firstly, I will have you know that the date I finished this book is merely the last time I finished Re-reading it, not the date when i finished reading this book the first time.
I love Faeries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus, Aislinn is full of Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Melissa Marr Created this complicated world with courts and rules and relationships and this weird game and dropped us (us meaning Aislinn) in in the middle of it and was just like "Yeah. Here it is. Deal." Aislinn dealt and was bad--okay, she wasn't quite badass. but she was awesome about it.
and that's what counts, right? the Awesome.
don't bother answering. Of course its the Awesome that counts. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Ugh, tão mau! ( )
  Telma_tx | Jul 30, 2018 |
I couldn't take it anymore. This was absolutely BORING! Nothing was going on, all the characters were flat and I just didn't give a damn. DNF'd at 33%.
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |

Melissa Marrprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chapter 1:  SEERS, or Men of the SECOND SIGHT,…have very terrifying Encounters with [the FAIRIES, they call Sleagh Maith, or the Good People]. -The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)
Chapter 2: [The Sleagh Maith, or the Good People, are] terrifyed by nothing earthly so much as by cold Iron. -The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)
For Loch, Dylan, and Asia, who believed in me even when I didn't, and the memories of John Marr Sr. and Marjorie Marr, whose presences linger and give me strength when I would falter.
The Summer King knelt before her. (Prologue)
"Four-ball, side pocket." Aislinn pushed the cue forwards with a short, quick thrust; the ball dropped into the pocket with a satisfying clack. (Chapter 1)
"Please let it be I'm looking for," he whispered to the scepter of the Winter Queen clutched in his hand and hoped - a brief moment of optimism. But then the ice is bored into them, spread out like shards of glass in her veins. "Keenan," she cried. She stumbled toward him, but he walked away, no longer lit, it did not look at it anymore. Then it was a wolf allein. Nur keeping her company while she waiting to tell the next girl, how stupid it was to love him, trust him.

The clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in this cool, urban 21st century faery tale. Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries. Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world, and would blind her if they knew of her Sight. Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries. Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer. Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention. But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King and has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost! Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working any more, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Faerie intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning 21st century faery tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Aislinn, who has the rare ability to see faeries, is drawn against her will into a centuries-old battle between the Summer King and the Winter Queen, and the survival of her life, her love, and summer all hang in the balance.

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible