Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely (Quality)) by…

Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely (Quality)) (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Melissa Marr

Member:booksrock94
Title:Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely (Quality))
Authors:Melissa Marr
Info:HarperCollins (2008), Paperback, 352 pages

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (2007)

English (285)  Spanish (1)  All (1)  All (287)
Great read. A bit surprised by how effortlessly weaved the story was. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
I'll admit I don't read a lot of YA literature because it often comes across to me as juvenile and the characters are mostly caricature and I find the teens in them wildly overemotional. I had this book because it was a Nookbook freebie. It was surprisingly well written and fairly restrained when it came to emotion and the characters. The world of the fairies was well developed and interesting. For those liking YA supernatural fiction I would recommend this book. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
This book wasn't bad. But it wasn't good either. I wish I could leave it at that, but I can't. This book was a mess. Don't get me wrong, some parts of this book are really magical, so magical that it almost makes up for how messy it is.

The story line seems interesting but I don't think it was delivered to it's full potential. I mean, how can a book be 328 pages and nothing, nothing at all happen? The only words I think of to explain this book is boringly bland. It's sad when you are reading a book and not give one single care about any of the characters.

I think the only character I actually liked was Seth. I just hate how he was portrayed. Every time he was talked about, the goth/emo/party animal-sex driven look was brought up, like it was suppose to be some major big deal. It was annoying and pissed me off. Yet, sadly, he was the only believable character worth anything. I really think he was the only reason I kept reading. To find out what would happen to him in the over-fae-populated town.

Ashlinn (or however you spell her real name, I can't bring myself to give a crap to remember) the magical cupcake, is probably the most boring vapid main character I have every laid my eyes on. There is literally nothing else to say here. Well, other than this whole book revolves around her like she is the sun. (Oh, look. A pun.) This chick is just unbelievable. laughingly unbelievable.

Keenan ... oh boy. What a creep. I am curious how many other saw him as a homewrecker? Because I sure in hell did. Keenan isn't just a homewrecker. He's one of those crazy ones that will boil your rabbit, tie you to the bed and break your ankles.

When you think he can't be anymore disgusting he watches a attempted rape and doesn't bother trying to stop it UNTIL he gets the point of how WRONG IT IS!

Ugh, and the whole "I am a king! bow down and suck my toes!" got old really fast. Much like Seth's often talked about goth-y-ness, Keenan's was always "king/royal/pansy-ass-me-me-me-love me-love me-You MUST love me". What a Man! Who wouldn't fall in love with him?! *that was sarcasm*

I want to talk about the story line but there isn't really much to talk about. It was mainly just a love triangle. Nonstop. Her running from Mr. LOVE ME! to Mr. GOTH BOI and Mr. LOVE ME crying on his knees because she ran away.

Really, would can skip chapters at a time and still get the idea of what is going on. Because either way, the writing is so choppy, you are taking a chance of that happening. If you read this book without zoning out, then I give you props. I can't tell you how many times I zoned out, to realize I read 5 pages or so and the same exact thing was still happening just in the new place.
Another thing I couldn't stand was the ever changing name of Donia. She has 3 names in this book and it was confusing because she is either Donia, Don, or Dawn. It irked me. Like please pick and name and stick with it. And I get this book is YA, but I doubt anyone's granny is that "chill" to just let their granddaughter to roam the city at all hours and say with a guy she never in her lift met. Granny was description was "old granny" but everything about her made her sound like she was a pushover 12-year-old.

The ending was a complete let down. I expected this big war or fight to happen for it literally happen and end in one page. Like, really? Are you serious? what the what!

So yeah, I don't think I will be reading the next books in the series unless I am bored out of my mind.

__

*I would also like to add, the "rules" make me face-palm EVERY time I see them.
3) Don't stare at invisible faeries.
2) Don't speak to invisible faeries.
1) Don't ever attract their attention.
I can't help but to laugh and think "invisible" is unnecessary. Don't stare or speak to invisible faeries! ... but.... they are invisible. How can you do either if they are invisible? Lol Sorry, it's just weird to me. Haha. ( )
  FearStreetZombie | Jun 4, 2017 |
3.5 stars

I had great difficulty in putting this book down for the sake of my sleep. An enjoyable story. ( )
  KendraJ. | Dec 29, 2016 |
Hey. This wasn't bad at all!
I'm glad it didn't end the way I thought it would, with a pretty little bow and all that jazz. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

Melissa Marrprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alsgaard, Melissamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chapter 1:  SEERS, or Men of the SECOND SIGHT,…have very terrifying Encounters with [the FAIRIES, they call Sleagh Maith, or the Good People]. -The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)
Chapter 2: [The Sleagh Maith, or the Good People, are] terrifyed by nothing earthly so much as by cold Iron. -The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)
For Loch, Dylan, and Asia, who believed in me even when I didn't, and the memories of John Marr Sr. and Marjorie Marr, whose presences linger and give me strength when I would falter.
The Summer King knelt before her. (Prologue)
"Four-ball, side pocket." Aislinn pushed the cue forwards with a short, quick thrust; the ball dropped into the pocket with a satisfying clack. (Chapter 1)
"Please let it be I'm looking for," he whispered to the scepter of the Winter Queen clutched in his hand and hoped - a brief moment of optimism. But then the ice is bored into them, spread out like shards of glass in her veins. "Keenan," she cried. She stumbled toward him, but he walked away, no longer lit, it did not look at it anymore. Then it was a wolf allein. Nur keeping her company while she waiting to tell the next girl, how stupid it was to love him, trust him.

The clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in this cool, urban 21st century faery tale. Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries. Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world, and would blind her if they knew of her Sight. Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries. Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer. Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention. But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King and has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost! Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working any more, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Faerie intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning 21st century faery tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Aislinn, who has the rare ability to see faeries, is drawn against her will into a centuries-old battle between the Summer King and the Winter Queen, and the survival of her life, her love, and summer all hang in the balance.

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,189,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible