Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Melissa Marr

Member:nicolettablu
Title:Wicked Lovely
Authors:Melissa Marr
Info:HarperCollins (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:audiobook, fiction, fantasy, American, Wicked Lovely, read 2012

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (2007)

For my 2015 reading challenge, I'm supposed to read "a popular author's first book." I'll be honest -- I had some trouble finding a popular author. Because if it's a popular author that I actually like, I've probably already read their first book. I thought about John Green, Marissa Meyer, Libba Bray, Colleen Hoover. I thought about Chuck Palahniuk, Meg Cabot, Judy Blume, Tamora Pierce. I looked through lists of books by Sarah Dessen, J.K. Rowling, Stephanie Perkins, Cassandra Clare. Nothing really spoke to me.

Then, on a whim, I realized I had ordered Wicked Lovely, which just so happens to be Melissa Marr's first book. At 30 distinct works and almost 320,000 ratings, I think she qualifies as a popular author. At least according to Goodreads. Anyway, on to the review.

Aislinn has always been able to see faeries. It runs in the family. And since she was a little girl, her Grams has always reminded her of the rules. Don't attract the faeries. Don't look at the faeries. Certainly don't speak to the faeries. And Aislinn has always followed these rules... until Keenan, the Summer King, starts courting her, and turns her life upside down.

This book came out when I was in high school. (I feel really old saying that.) Back then, the praise was incessant. "This book is so amazing," they said. "Aislinn is so feisty and awesome," they said. "It's such a great story," they said. I was so excited to read this book, but for some reason, it took me eight years.

And, now that I've read it, really none of those things are true.

At best, this story is mediocre. It's not well-developed. The plot just kind of meanders along, dragging around the possibility of romance between Aislinn and her best friend, Seth, while the possibility of Keenan ruining everything never quite goes away. It's actually painfully obvious that this is the author's first book. That, and the fact that nobody wanted to polish this story to be the gem it could have been -- with a little more effort.

I was more or less indifferent to Aislinn and her struggles. I wasn't swayed by Keenan's supposed charms. (Possibly because the only Keenan I've ever known was something of a jerk? That and shiny, superhumanly beautiful men are not a weakness of mine.) I saw all the plot twists coming. Aislinn's friends and their drinking, drugs, piercings, and sexual exploits didn't excite me the way they might have when I was 17. In fact, it kind of made me sad. Kids throwing their lives away because of too little supervision, and all that.

The thing that got to me the most, I think, was Aislinn's mortality being casually taken away from her. Sure, she's a little miffed, but she basically accepts it without too much of a fight. She actually accepts most everything without much of a fight. Oh, my whole life is about to change. I won't die. Okay... if you say so... as long as I can keep Seth...

There's so little conflict, so little angst, so little of any emotion other than teenage hormones in this book that I had trouble connecting with the characters. Even when Aislinn panics, thinking she might have unknowingly lost her virginity when drunk on faery wine, there's a sort of blasé attitude about it, like well, things happen and I'd hoped my first time would be special, but oh well.

All in all, it's just disappointing, and I wish I'd read the mountain of negative reviews before diving headfirst into this book. It's a quick read, but I can't say that it's worth the time, and I won't be reading the rest of the series. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
It's a teen romance. If you go into this expecting more than that, you will probably be disappointed. However, as far as teen romances go, this wasn't bad at all.

Aislinn is a regular teenager - well, except for the fact that she has the Sight - it runs in her family, and her grandmother has brought her up with a healthy caution of the Faerie folk that only she can see. But mostly, she likes hanging out with her friends, and has recently been enjoying a budding romance with her good friend Seth - who is, umm, perfect.
I mean, write a checklist of Things A Cool Teenage Girl Might Want In A Guy, and that is Seth.
He is physically attractive.
He's also cool and alternative, artsy, with piercings.
He is not too old, but he lives on his own in an awesome place where everyone cool likes to hang out.
He's sexually experienced, but responsibly disease-free, and lets the girl take the lead, without being pushy.
He is always respectful and supportive, backing Aislinn up no matter what happens.

So, all is groovy, except that the King-in-Waiting of the Summer Court of Faerie, Keenan, has decided that Aislinn is his best choice to become his Queen, which will unlock his powers and incidentally save the Whole World from eternal winter, personified by his overbearing mother, the Winter Queen.

Keenan, of course, is also super-hot, and has the advantage of being able to throw lustful glamours onto people.

So - Aislinn has some difficult decisions to make, as she's swept further into the world of Faerie...

At this point, I (and most readers, probably) perceived a very, very obvious solution to the dilemma. And said: 'OK, if the author does not acknowledge this Obvious solution, I'm really going to hate this book.' But - the obvious solution did turn out to be the actual solution, so I did not hate the book.

It's a little silly, but it was also quite charming and enjoyable. The romance worked quite well as wish-fulfillment fantasy - which is what romance is all about, after all...
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
In this urban fantasy world, faeries exist - but 99% of people can't see them. Lucky Aislinn is the exception - and the faeries she can see are NOT all dewdrops and sunshine. Some are just plain nasty and evil and violent.

The Summer King is on an eternal search of his Queen that will unbind his powers and free himself - and the world - from the cruel rule of his mother, the Winter Queen. When he sets his sights on Aislinn, some interesting courting begins; she is also being persued by a mortal (and mortally HOT!) guy, Seth.

This was an interesting novel about choice and creative problem solving. The main character was likable but kind of annoying; I guess she seemed like too much the victim one moment and then came on too strong the next. One of the things holding me back from giving this a 4 star rating is the existence of these "rules" everyone must follow...for the sake of following rules. It's not a totally uncommmon feature in urban fantasy/faery stories, but I still find it irritating. I.e., I have this role to play and have to fulfill it because it's the "rules" and even though I hate it I have to do it anyway..." Blah. But it's really a minor point. I will definitley be reading the next book set in the same world (focusing on different characters), Ink Exchange. This author definitely has a lot of potential. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
I genuinely like Melissa Marr's writing. Although her stories are littered with clichés, she always chooses the noble way out. I appreciate that, originality is harder and harder to find these days. Her stories or just gripping enough to keep the reader curious, without feeding to obsession. Her characters are relatable enough, although they are not deep. This was a fun, fluffy read. ( )
  Morteana | Feb 4, 2016 |
I was not expecting to enjoy this story but I really did. I thought I would find the same ole YA fairy story, ah but it was so much more. First the characters are interesting, deep and have so many twists to them, making them riveting to read. Second, There is a deep friendship and romance, covered in a realistic manner. Not sickening sweet, but with thorns. Third, the fairy story had a nice fresh modern twist on an old tale. It was not the best but better than most. 3.6 stars ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |

Melissa Marrprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chapter 1:  SEERS, or Men of the SECOND SIGHT,…have very terrifying Encounters with [the FAIRIES, they call Sleagh Maith, or the Good People]. -The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)
Chapter 2: [The Sleagh Maith, or the Good People, are] terrifyed by nothing earthly so much as by cold Iron. -The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)
For Loch, Dylan, and Asia, who believed in me even when I didn't, and the memories of John Marr Sr. and Marjorie Marr, whose presences linger and give me strength when I would falter.
The Summer King knelt before her. (Prologue)
"Four-ball, side pocket." Aislinn pushed the cue forwards with a short, quick thrust; the ball dropped into the pocket with a satisfying clack. (Chapter 1)
"Please let it be I'm looking for," he whispered to the scepter of the Winter Queen clutched in his hand and hoped - a brief moment of optimism. But then the ice is bored into them, spread out like shards of glass in her veins. "Keenan," she cried. She stumbled toward him, but he walked away, no longer lit, it did not look at it anymore. Then it was a wolf allein. Nur keeping her company while she waiting to tell the next girl, how stupid it was to love him, trust him.

The clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in this cool, urban 21st century faery tale. Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries. Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world, and would blind her if they knew of her Sight. Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries. Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer. Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention. But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King and has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost! Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working any more, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Faerie intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning 21st century faery tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Aislinn, who has the rare ability to see faeries, is drawn against her will into a centuries-old battle between the Summer King and the Winter Queen, and the survival of her life, her love, and summer all hang in the balance.

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,248,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible