Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Melissa Marr

4,787281973 (3.79)301
Member:nicolettablu
Title:Wicked Lovely
Authors:Melissa Marr
Info:HarperCollins (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:audiobook, fiction, fantasy, American, Wicked Lovely, read 2012

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (2007)

I really enjoyed this book. I like when authors take new views on the tales we already know. It was a little reminiscent of the idea behind Karen Marie Moning's Fever series, in that the main character is one of few people who can SEE the fairies. But that's where the similarities end. There's all new stakes in this tale where a fairy is enamored of a human girl...what will she do, what changes will this bring to her life. Not only that but in this book, we've got a human male in competition with the fairy. Who will she choose, can she have her way? I really enjoyed discovering the answers to all of these questions. I've begun book two already and think I will like it as much as the first. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Twilight readalike. Slow to start but I liked some of the characters so I'll stick with the series. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
Aislinn is thrown into a world she knows about, but wishes she didn't. There isn't a lot of big downs in this book, but the character development is pretty good.

Some characters give you warm fuzzies while others are easy to be afraid of. The Winter Queen is one of the scary ones. She is so full of hate it's insane. I do love how this book has such strong female characters. Even in moments of weakness, both Ash and Donia pull through. The male characters' actions were mostly decided depending on how Ash acted. I loved Seth! He is loyal and patient. He never pushes Ash and lets her decide things for herself.

The love aspect was refreshing. You go in expecting insta-love and love triangles, but you get something completely different.

I won't go into the plot because I don't want to give anything away, but I really enjoyed this book about faeries. It was a different spin from most of what's out there. Although I do have a few questions regarding Aislinn. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
I generally avoid YA books, or at least YA books written in the last decade or so. I do this because in my experience, YA books usually revolve around 1. hormones and 2. teen sex. They also almost always have some sort of "sex-ed" talk. Because, after all, the one thing teenagers need MORE of is more preaching about safe-sex, because they don't get that at school/from their parents/random people on the street.

Errr, I'm getting distracted.

I liked most of Wicked Lovely. Melissa Marr's writing shows a lot of potential: I was very impressed that this was her first novel, as I've seen a LOT of worse debuts. I loved the female leads in the story (Aislinn and Donia), as they had clear personalities, were strong-minded, and overall very interesting to read. The male leads left a lot to be desired. Seth was just too perfect, in my opinion, and Keenan, well, Keenan's a faerie, don't you know, which means he's manipulative and self-centered. I DID appreciate that Keenan's behavior was really unpredictable--he was the only faerie that truly seemed like a faerie, because he was so hard to understand. At the same time, his unpredictability was consistent? If that makes sense? So he was a well-written character, I just didn't like him.

SPOILER WARNING

The plot was good, although I'm not sure how I feel about the ending, since Aislinn seems to get the best of both worlds. Also, Seth's mortality was barely addressed, but I assume it will be in future books. The pacing was good, keeping my attention but not going too fast.
Another thing: I don't know if the author intended to poke fun at Twilight almost incessantly, but in my view she was. This made me giggle uncontrollably at several points, such as when Keenan says, "You are my life now," and also when Aislinn is so determined to go to college despite her new immortal status (completely opposite to Bella, who tries her hardest to get out of college and just be with Edward). Also, the obvious comparison where Aislinn completely rejects the red-headed, gorgeous model Keenan in favor of her dark-haired, normal guy friend (as opposed to Bella rejecting the kind Jacob to be with beige-ified Edward). I noticed a lot of other pokes too, but I might have been reading too much into that.

Overall, this book was very entertaining, but there wasn't anything in it that would make me want to reread it, unless I wanted to experience Donia and Aislinn's amusing personalities again (my favorite part of the book). ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |

Errr, I'm getting distracted.

SPOILER WARNING

Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |

Melissa Marrprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chapter 1:  SEERS, or Men of the SECOND SIGHT,…have very terrifying Encounters with [the FAIRIES, they call Sleagh Maith, or the Good People]. -The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)
Chapter 2: [The Sleagh Maith, or the Good People, are] terrifyed by nothing earthly so much as by cold Iron. -The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)
For Loch, Dylan, and Asia, who believed in me even when I didn't, and the memories of John Marr Sr. and Marjorie Marr, whose presences linger and give me strength when I would falter.
The Summer King knelt before her. (Prologue)
"Four-ball, side pocket." Aislinn pushed the cue forwards with a short, quick thrust; the ball dropped into the pocket with a satisfying clack. (Chapter 1)
"Please let it be I'm looking for," he whispered to the scepter of the Winter Queen clutched in his hand and hoped - a brief moment of optimism. But then the ice is bored into them, spread out like shards of glass in her veins. "Keenan," she cried. She stumbled toward him, but he walked away, no longer lit, it did not look at it anymore. Then it was a wolf allein. Nur keeping her company while she waiting to tell the next girl, how stupid it was to love him, trust him.

The clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in this cool, urban 21st century faery tale. Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries. Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world, and would blind her if they knew of her Sight. Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries. Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer. Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention. But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King and has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost! Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working any more, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Faerie intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning 21st century faery tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Aislinn, who has the rare ability to see faeries, is drawn against her will into a centuries-old battle between the Summer King and the Winter Queen, and the survival of her life, her love, and summer all hang in the balance.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,260,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible