Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Melissa Marr

4,359None1,127 (3.8)297
Member:nicolettablu
Title:Wicked Lovely
Authors:Melissa Marr
Info:HarperCollins (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:audiobook, fiction, fantasy, American, Wicked Lovely, read 2012

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (2007)

2008 (28) dark fantasy (20) ebook (29) fae (31) faerie (268) fairies (201) fairy (26) fantasy (464) fey (20) fiction (218) high school (22) love (44) magic (47) melissa marr (27) own (27) paranormal (74) read (48) read in 2009 (20) relationships (23) romance (163) series (53) Summer King (23) supernatural (37) teen (56) to-read (93) urban fantasy (147) Wicked Lovely (29) YA (216) young adult (273) young adult fiction (43)

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries. Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty--especially if they learn of her Sight--and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention. But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his Queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost--regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend Seth; her life; everything. Faery intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning twenty-first-century faery tale.

My thoughts:
This story read much like a modern update on the story of Tam Lin.
Aislinn, a mortal who can see faeries, is trying to hold onto her mortal life while the faeries attempt to strip it away. I liked that Aislinn was a strong character, although at first she seemed rather wishy-washy. She finds the strength to stand up to Keenan an become the Summer Queen on her own terms. I liked that. Aislinn's character changes throughout the story and she grows stronger as she realizes that she can no longer run away from the faeries and her ties to them. Seth, is a little too perfect, for my taste. He doesn't really get jealous of Aislinn for being able to see the faeries, for being courted by the Summer King, for perhaps compromising herself when she goes to the carnival with Keenan, nothing. That simply didn't ring true for me. However, as someone else mentioned in their review the author described Seth through Aislinn's eyes which explains his lack of flaws since it is often hard to see bad in the people we love.
There is not a lot of action in this story. The build up to a final confrontation with Beria, the Winter Queen, is intense. Everyone keeps talking about how dangerous she is, but when the confrontation comes it is over much too quickly. The strong characterization and the attention paid to relationships makes up for some, if not all, of the lack of action.
I was intrigued with the relationship/lack-there-of between Keenan and Donia and the hint of it being exploited in a future story. I look forward to reading more in this series from Melissa Marr.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in fairy tales that lack the danger of true fairy tales. The idea of fairies is nice but Marr does not develop their dangerous side as much as I would have liked. Definitely not something for someone who loves the original Grimm's Fairy Tales. ( )
  LisaBost | Mar 12, 2014 |
For a YA series angled toward teenagers, this series is damn good, and I love it! ( )
  Lexiant | Feb 23, 2014 |
Typical book of faeries and magic written for teens. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
I enjoyed this YA take on fairy politics and power. I liked Marr's voice and it didn't have the romanticized toxic relationship so often portrayed in stories with teenagers. This dynamic is way older than Twilight and goes back to Romeo & Juliet or Cathy & Heathcliff. And I admit that it's a dynamic I loved as a teenager but it frankly annoys the hell out of me as an adult. Trip down memory lane over, I will say that if I have a criticism of Seth it's that he's a bit too perfect. I wish we had some scenes from his POV, rather than always seeing him from Aislinn's perspective - I think that may have humanized him more for me.

But for me the romance wasn't the draw or the biggest part of the story. At first Aislinn may seem like a bit of a passive heroine but I think it suits her story. She is coming to terms with a different world and beginning to question the advice her grandmother had given her her whole life. Aislinn's first tentative interactions with the fae are interesting. The fae of this world are different enough from other stories to be intriguing but familiar enough to anyone who reads enough of that mythology. I particularly enjoyed Donia's story, how she became the Winter Girl and the path she ends up on here.

I certainly liked it enough to pick up the next in the series and watch these characters continue their journey. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
I don't like Keenan right from the start. I get that he's in this political struggle and the only way he can be free is by effectively trapping a mortal to be his queen, but he fails completely in effectively getting anyone with any sense to actually like him. He's a jerk! The book makes little attempt at hiding the fact that he sleeps around with all of the "Summer Girls," and he knows how good-looking he is and uses that to such extremes that I kind of think that the Winter Girl is in the better position here. On the other hand, Seth is like the perfect guy in many ways - if you don't mind the tattoos and piercings. He's incredibly attentive to Aislinn's moods and needs, waiting months and months for her to even notice that he had feelings for her when he apparently could have had lots of other girls and chose not to. Chivalrous is how I would describe him, something that is not a common trait among young men nowadays.
Now as for the sexual conduct in this book, I would not want my girls to read this as teenagers simply because of how casually it is treated. The only reason this book would fit in the genre of Young Adult is because the characters are all "young adults." But the thing is, there are so many people my age and older who read this genre that this book would be more appropriately marketed as a YA for the "young at heart." Okay, off my soap-box now.
I really did love this book, I don't remember the last time I read a novel that so effectively put the fairy tales of old in the modern era. And making the fey both frightening and untrustworthy is much more realistic, instead of the Disney-fied literature that is common for young children. The romantic aspect also has some elements that deviate from the norm, since Aislinn prefers the mortal to the gorgeous, powerful fey. She also believes in saving herself instead of just being the "damsel in distress," which boosts her image even more with me. While this book revolved around the Summer and Winter Courts, the next book, Ink Exchange, is about the Dark Court, so that should be interesting.

JacobsBeloved | Nov 25, 2013 |

Melissa Marrprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Loch, Dylan, and Asia, who believed in me even when I didn't, and the memories of John Marr Sr. and Marjorie Marr, whose presences linger and give me strength when I would falter.
The Summer King knelt before her. (Prologue)
"Four-ball, side pocket." Aislinn pushed the cue forwards with a short, quick thrust; the ball dropped into the pocket with a satisfying clack. (Chapter 1)
"Please let it be I'm looking for," he whispered to the scepter of the Winter Queen clutched in his hand and hoped - a brief moment of optimism. But then the ice is bored into them, spread out like shards of glass in her veins. "Keenan," she cried. She stumbled toward him, but he walked away, no longer lit, it did not look at it anymore. Then it was a wolf allein. Nur keeping her company while she waiting to tell the next girl, how stupid it was to love him, trust him.

The clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in this cool, urban 21st century faery tale. Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries. Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world, and would blind her if they knew of her Sight. Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries. Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer. Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention. But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King and has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost! Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working any more, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Faerie intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning 21st century faery tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:52 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Aislinn, who has the rare ability to see faeries, is drawn against her will into a centuries-old battle between the Summer King and the Winter Queen, and the survival of her life, her love, and summer all hang in the balance.

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,431,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible