The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

The Outsiders (1967)

by S. E. Hinton

English (486)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  All languages (490)
This one is golden. It starts out cool and good, but then suddenly, it whips around and hits you real hard. The simultaneous deepness and simple thinking, really buries you deep, and I couldn't help shedding a tear for little johnnycake. It is real tough all around isn't it? ( )
  marie2830 | Sep 2, 2018 |
I’ve wanted to read this since I heard Rob Lowe talk about his experiences making the film in his autobiography. Whilst some of the slang and styling has aged the characterisation and themes of friendship, family, belonging and loyalty mean it still resonates today.

Plot /b>
Ponyboy is a (just) 14 year old orphan living being brought up by his older two brothers, and to a lesser extent, the gang of ‘greasers’ from their poor neighbourhood. Gang tensions based on socio economic distinctions bubble below the surface constantly and are brought to the forefront when one of their friends kills a ‘soc’ – one of the richer boys.

Thoughts
Reading this for the first time as an adult is an odd experience, the slang is dated, the many references to how the boys look and their obsessions with hair and shirts is difficult for a modern reader to relate to and the women in the story are largely irrelevant and one dimensional. And yet. There is a reason this book continues to win over teenage readers. The language is clear and straightforward and Ponyboy, whilst having a ludicrous name, has a clear and convincing voice that feels authentic and honest throughout.

Thematically Hinton does not shy away from the difficult topics – Ponyboy is an orphan, domestic abuse in his neighbourhood is commonplace, the boys are petty criminals and their lives are violent. These issues are presented factually and honestly but as a narrator Ponyboy also shows provides the other perspective– they are also kind to their friends, supportive, sportsmanlike and academic.

I think trying to reconnect with the teenage me – it is this nuanced characterisation that highlights the grey of life vs the black and white plus the age old tribalism of teenagers is what has made this such a popular novel.
  itchyfeetreader | Jun 22, 2018 |
I loved this book when I first read it in middle school, and somehow I seemed to have forgotten that I likely read it around the same age the author was when she wrote it. [a: S.E. Hinton|762707|S.E. Hinton|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1206505616p2/762707.jpg] is kind of amazing for having done what she did, and this edition of the book makes her a bit more amazing by adding interviews of hers, submission letters, and other correspondence from both her and many fans who were touched by what they had read.

[b: The Outsiders|231804|The Outsiders|S.E. Hinton|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1442129426s/231804.jpg|1426690] does have its faults, don't get me wrong. The writing can be a bit sloppy, and the slang can come off as frankly ridiculous reading it this far away from its initial publication. Nevertheless, if what has been said is true, it hit home for the Oklahoma greasers back when it was first published. It shows a remarkable amount of maturity by showing that life is hard for everyone, on either side of the class divide. I think the essence of the book would still resonate with teenagers who read it, even if the content can be a bit hokey at times.

Essentially, it's a decent classist soap opera where people come away from it all having learned a bit of something.

Stay gold on at least some level, even if ultimately you can't. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I loved this book when I first read it in middle school, and somehow I seemed to have forgotten that I likely read it around the same age the author was when she wrote it. [a: S.E. Hinton|762707|S.E. Hinton|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1206505616p2/762707.jpg] is kind of amazing for having done what she did.

Stay gold on at least some level, even if ultimately you can't. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
This short book is an unusual cultural phenomenon. It has sold more than 14 million copies since its publication in 1967 and has nearly 3000 reviews at Amazon. The book has been avidly read by teenagers of all ages, debated by adults, banned by school libraries, and turned into a movie, a TV series, a stage adaptation and even a museum. All this from a book written by a semi- anonymous teenager in the 1960s based on her experiences with gang conflict in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Apparently I was the last reader in the US not to have heard of The Outsiders before; but having seen it on a list of 100 favorite books of US citizens, I picked up a used copy.

The protagonist, Ponyboy, is an orphan being raised by his own brothers; he's a member of the "Greasers," the gang of tough, low-income working-class teens. They are often dropouts, always cigarette smokers, and commonly in trouble with the local police for low level crime and general rowdiness. They are also in conflict with the gang of wealthier boys, the "Socs" (pronounced "Soshes", short for "Socials). The book's title refers to more than the Greasers; it applies to gang members Ponyboy and his friend Johnny (good kids who don't quite fit into the greaser ethos) and as it turns out, to members of the Socs, who also turn out to just be people, with problems of their own. Here are a few plot highlights: One of the Socs (Bob) attacks Ponyboy (he tries to drown him in the town fountain), and defending Ponyboy, Johnny pulls a switchblade on Bob and kills him. Upon fleeing the crime, Ponyboy and Johnny become town heroes for rescuing several kids from a burning church; however, Johnny suffers a broken back which puts him in the hospital. In response to Bob's death, the Greasers and Socs have a "rumble", which the former win. Johnny dies, and unable to bear it, Dallas (one of the senior greasers) forces a armed confrontation with the cops and is killed. The tale ends with Ponyboy finding some redemption and hope for the future. The plot is described well at Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsiders_(novel)

I can see why this book has been so popular among teen readers. While far from a literary gem, it gives young outsiders of all types an ethos, and a feeling that they are not alone. As a coda, it's interesting to note that the young author, S.E. (Susan) Hinton, wrote this work at the age of 17, and published it as a first year college student. She used initials instead of her first name, so that male reviewers would not disparage the book based on the author's gender. She later wrote three other books that also were made into films. ( )
1 vote danielx | May 29, 2018 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

Hinton, S. E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Picoult, JodiIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

This book is about a neighborhood gang, called the greasers, that gets into a fight with another group and one of the other groups members is killed by the greasers and now the two that killed the boy are on the run. While they are in hiding, they try to change their appearance, and they get help from their friends and fellow gang members. While in hiding, the two boys tried to save a class that went into the burning building where the boys were staying and they got seriously hurt in the process, and came very close to dying.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014038572X, Mass Market Paperback)

According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. This classic, written by S. E. Hinton when she was 16 years old, is as profound today as it was when it was first published in 1967.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

A revealing account of the tensions, fears, and frustrations of gang life from a teenage boy's point of view.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,950,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible