The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

The Outsiders (1967)

by S. E. Hinton

English (390)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (395)
Was very surprised how much I did not like this book. Started a Reddit conversation that got some interesting replies. The fact that a teenager wrote this book is impressive, but that does not diminish that the characters are overly feminized to annoyance. Word choice in this book is interesting--book centers on a group of rebels, yet not a single rebellious curse word to be found. The diction is especially aged by now as well (to be fair, it is coming on being 50 years old). I thought it was a bad book, but I pause when I consider the fact that kids and teens absolutely love this book. ( )
  rdwhitenack | Jul 11, 2014 |
The Outsiders is a book about two rival gangs, the Greasers and the Socs. The main character is Ponyboy, who is a Greaser. He feels that he doesn't fit in. He has his friends, family, and the rest of the Greasers, who he goes through many incidents with. There are many conflicts that Ponyboy is involved in, and he grows as a person as he works through all of them. There is a conflict between his brother, who raises him, and there is a conflict with the Socs who insult and fight them. The plot starts when Ponyboy and some of his friends meet two girls, who are Socs, at the drive-in movie theater. They get along well with the girls and leave with them. The girl's boyfriends already hate the Greasers, and it gets a lot worse when they see Ponyboy and his friends with their girlfriends. Ponyboy gets into it with his brother when he gets home late that night. He decides to run away. He meets Johnny and they go to the park. The Socs find them there and a fight starts. Johnny kills one of the Socs, who is holding Ponyboy's head under the water. Johnny and Ponyboy leave town and go into hiding. Their friend, Dallas, helps them. Dallas drives up to check on Ponyboy and Johnny. They leave the hideout to go get something to eat. Johnny decides to go back and turn himself in. However, when they get back to their hideout, it is on fire, and there are kids trapped inside. Ponyboy, Johnny, and Dallas risk their lives to save all of the children. They are injured while saving the children, especially Johnny. Johnny is burned very badly. The boys are heroes, and they are cleared by the police. A rumble is arranged between the Greasers and the Socs, The Soc,who was friends with the one killed, has a talk with Johnny, and they both realize that they are just people, not Greasers and Socs. The Soc, Bob, does not participate in the rumble. Ponyboy, even though he is sick, participates in the rumble. The Greasers win. That same night Johnny dies from his injuries from the fire. Dallas finds out and goes crazy. He has a gun and robs a store. The Greasers all come to help him. However, they are too late. Dallas has an unloaded the gun. The police think he is going to shoot them so they shoot and kill him. Ponyboy is very sick. When he gets better he finds out the Johnny left him a letter. The letter explains his feelings and what it means to be "golden". He ends the letter by telling Ponyboy to "stay golden".
I loved this book. It is so well written. The author describes all the characters so well. I felt like I knew each and every one of them. I empathized with their situation. I know to feel like what it is like to feel like you don't fit in. The plot was very engaging. I was enthralled in the book during the fight scenes and when Johnny died and Dallas went crazy. I cried when Dallas was killed. Johnny calls out for the police to stop, saying the Dallas is just a kid. It is so sad. The ending of the book was perfect. I like the way it ended with the letter from Johnny. He shared his feelings and his thoughts on what it means to be golden. It was so sad when the letter refers to Dallas. Ponyboy can't share anything with Dallas or help him. He is gone. The really loved the ending where he tells Ponyboy to "stay golden".
It is hard to think about adding or changing anything in this book. The plot is so well developed, and I liked the ending. The book could be extended by showing what happened with the Greasers after Johnny and Dallas die. What was said at the funeral? What realizations did the characters have about life and death? I think showing the funeral and the mourning period would give the opportunity to see how circumstances can change your way of thinking and the way you behave. The story could show the Greasers and the Socs coming to an understanding. After all they are all just people,who all see the same beautiful sunset. ( )
  Js126863 | Jul 10, 2014 |
I first read this book in seventh grade. It instantly struck me as something special. Ponyboy is a relateabke character because he did not choose to live in his current conditions. The other characters feel grounded in reality and help breathe life into the book's world. This story depicts the troubles of being a member of a gang and being a teenager. All teens should read this book. I don't want to ruin the end but it is the perfect ending for this book. It shows that deep down everyone still has some good in them. "Stay gold Ponyboy." ( )
  thedreadlink | May 16, 2014 |
Amazingly engrossing, although it's old enough at this point, some of the aspects on teenage life are still so relevant, I truly love this book.

I would honestly love to be friends with most of the Greasers. Aside from their humour and playfulness, the care they show towards one another is really very touching.

The movie was definitely a good adaption, but I would recommend finding the directors cut. You'll know you have it when it starts with Pony coming out of the movies and getting jumped by the soc's. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
The Outsiders tells the story of 14-year old Ponyboy and his struggle with right and wrong. He, his brothers, and friends are members of the greasers, a lower-class gang. They battle the socs, the rich kids. ( )
  WizardsofWorch | Apr 21, 2014 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014038572X, Mass Market Paperback)

According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. This classic, written by S. E. Hinton when she was 16 years old, is as profound today as it was when it was first published in 1967.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:53 -0400)

A revealing account of the tensions, fears, and frustrations of gang life from a teenage boy's point of view.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,115,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible