The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

The Outsiders (1967)

by S. E. Hinton

English (418)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  All languages (422)
6. I liked reading about the conflict between the two groups of people and how they handled themselves. Also, I really liked the main character, and thought of him as a boy who could’ve done more with his life.
7. This book is about diversity within two groups of people. This would be a great book for older students to read about the diversity between a "greasers" life and a "socs" life and to discuss the differing aspects of each.
  kaylac_22 | Feb 3, 2016 |
I read this a long time ago, but I remember really liking the book and considering it a favorite. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
When i had to read this book for school i did not think i was going to like it but as the story progressed i enjoyed it more than expected. although i dont like this book enough to reread it, it wasnt horrible having to read it in class.
the characters and the plot were capturing. ponyboy's attitude throughout the piece was boyish and added to his lovable personality. also the bond shared between the ponyboy, his brothers, and his friends is endearing.
the plot had action as well though. ponyboy stabbes one of the rival crews members and he is on the run with some of his friends and they hideout in an abandoned building. they take care of themselves and eachother. in the end ponyboy ownes up to his mistakes by returning home to confess his crime. this leades to a battle in which ponyboy gets hospitalized. this book is entertaining enough that to read it wouldnt be the worst thing but if i had to recommend this book i probably wouldnt.
  ddumaurier | Jan 21, 2016 |
I had to read this for school. I didn't enjoy - wasn't the book that I generally read. I didn't connect to the characters at all. Boring. ( )
  MelanieTid | Jan 18, 2016 |
I love the scene where Ponyboy reunites with his brothers Darry and Soda and how at that moment Ponyboy realizes how much Darry cares about him. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

S. E. Hintonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014038572X, Mass Market Paperback)

According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. This classic, written by S. E. Hinton when she was 16 years old, is as profound today as it was when it was first published in 1967.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

A revealing account of the tensions, fears, and frustrations of gang life from a teenage boy's point of view.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,171,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible