dismiss

The Outsiders (1967)

by S. E. Hinton

The struggle of three brothers to stay together after their parent's death and their quest for identity among the conflicting values of their adolescent society.

English (527)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  All languages (531)
A short novel but so much happens within those 200 pages. It's one tragedy after the next but there are moments of hope and light throughout. Hinton manages to humanise all the major players and treats the more villainous characters with compassion. There is something incredibly relatable about these characters and their life even if the 1960's Greaser world is so far from your own. ( )
  mackinsquash | Aug 15, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
karen's review (will link later when I'm at my computer) really sums up all my thoughts about this book.

The only part I liked was the ending, which is not a bad joke about being glad the book was over. The last chapter (basically the last half of the last chapter) was the only time I felt anything for any of the characters. ( )
  widdersyns | Jul 19, 2020 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

Hinton, S. E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Illum, PerIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keson, Britt-KatrinComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Picoult, JodiIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plesner, MetteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

This book is about a neighborhood gang, called the greasers, that gets into a fight with another group and one of the other groups members is killed by the greasers and now the two that killed the boy are on the run. While they are in hiding, they try to change their appearance, and they get help from their friends and fellow gang members. While in hiding, the two boys tried to save a class that went into the burning building where the boys were staying and they got seriously hurt in the process, and came very close to dying.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,293,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible