The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

The Outsiders (original 1967; edition 2006)

by S.E. Hinton, Jim Fyfe (Reader)

9,951None284 (4.04)218
Member:Vanity13
Title:The Outsiders
Authors:S.E. Hinton
Other authors:Jim Fyfe (Reader)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (2006), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (1967)

1960s (63) American (52) American literature (35) brothers (75) classic (174) classics (105) coming of age (205) death (67) family (103) fiction (762) friendship (173) gangs (410) greasers (65) high school (36) literature (38) murder (53) novel (72) Oklahoma (45) own (39) read (152) realistic fiction (148) school (39) teen (93) teenagers (43) to-read (46) violence (62) YA (275) young adult (430) young adult fiction (112) young adult literature (46)

English (386)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (391)
I read this book as a teen several times. I listened to it on CD this time and enjoyed it very much. I hung on the words knowing what would happen next. This book I read so many years ago came alive in my memory. It is still very fitting for the teens today. ( )
  ThePageturners | Mar 27, 2014 |
This book was really a great read. I found it odd but surprising that the author, who is female, wrote from the perspective of a boy. And she did it so well I never knew the difference. I think this book stands the test of time because the issues it covers are ones that young people are still dealing with in today's society. Great book and well written and would def recommend!! ( )
  melissapetty10 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I really do enjoy this book. I have read it a few different times now, some for school, some for fun, and I still love to read it. It is a fascinating look at a different culture from a different time that can still be accessible to, not only the young adults the book is geared toward, but also to anyone who can pick up the book. It is fascinating to watch what is happening through Ponyboy's eyes as, I think, it would have played out very differently had it been through Darry or Dally's eyes, from the Greasers, or any of the Socs. A brilliant read that I will definitely pick up again. ( )
  CSTaylor24 | Mar 3, 2014 |
"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
  juanita.gomez | Feb 28, 2014 |
this is a good book for middelschoolers. this book is a little to graphic for elemetery. i loved this bo it is my favorite book. i was not going to read it but i did i loved it. i had to read this for my book club and everyone liked it. it is a great book and i would recomend it to anyone. That is what i think of this book.

this is a book about a boy who faces his fears to do the right thing. pony boy is a regular boy except he is a greaser. the greasers and the socs have been enemys. the greasers think the socs have it all god and easy. this is not true. pony has one brother and lives with his gang of six. that is a peak of the outsiders. ( )
  eliB.b4 | Jan 8, 2014 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014038572X, Mass Market Paperback)

According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. This classic, written by S. E. Hinton when she was 16 years old, is as profound today as it was when it was first published in 1967.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:53 -0400)

A revealing account of the tensions, fears, and frustrations of gang life from a teenage boy's point of view.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible