The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

The Outsiders (original 1967; edition 2006)

by S.E. Hinton, Jim Fyfe (Reader)

Member:Vanity13
Title:The Outsiders
Authors:S.E. Hinton
Other authors:Jim Fyfe (Reader)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (2006), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (1967)

English (402)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (407)
A real eye-opener for a sheltered white girl from rural Wisconsin. I immediately read the rest of Hinton's youth books, and re-read this. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
14 year old Ponyboy is the youngest of three orphaned brothers. Ponyboy is intelligent and sensitive but faces discrimination for being a Greaser. When a fellow gang member kills a rival Soc in defense, the pair go on the run. A selfless and heroic act makes members of the Socs rethink their differences.

S.E. Hinton’s timeless story continues to remain relevant today as it deals with discrimination arising from superficial assumptions about social class. The well-developed characters and the warmth of the love between friends is especially endearing. ( )
  thelittlestacks | Mar 27, 2015 |
The Outsiders is an unforgettable book about life. This book is not about a perfect ending, but about life in general. There is two gangs, the greasers and the socs, who are from completely different backgrounds. Of course, this causes fights and controversy and even ends in death. I would read this to a mature crowd that can take away meaning from this book. It shows the importance of family and friendship. Also, it shows the reality of life which can include; struggles, death, and becoming something you do not want to be. ( )
  SadieCooney | Feb 24, 2015 |
"The Outsiders" was the book that made me fall in love with reading. It sparked my passion for books. It's a classic that I think everyone needs to read at least once in their life. For the reason of it being extraordinary in a simple way. This book is an easy read but honestly it packs a punch and you can't help but fall in love with the characters. "The Outsiders" is still considered to me as being unique and a brilliant read.

The book revolves around a young teenage boy named Ponyboy Crutis, and yup that's his real name.He is from the east side of Tulsa,Oklahoma which is considered the lower class that is run by Greasers and while the West side is run by the Socials (Socs) who are privileged and come from well off families. The town is divided by these two groups. Greasers listen to Elvis and grease their hair. Their tuff. While Socs listen to the Beatles and drive tough cars and pick on Greasers. Ponyboy has just lost his parents and has two brothers working in order to keep a roof over their head and food on the table. The brothers Darry and Sodapop are polar opposite but love Ponyboy something fierce. The boys also have four friends that complete their gang. These boy take care of each other, and watch each others backs. It's tough living where they do and sometimes it gets out of hand.

"The Outsiders" shows that all happy endings can't be perfect. Sometimes it's difficult to see the good in a situation especially when dealing with something as hard as death. Life isn't perfect and not everything can go as planned. This book shows that real life is messy and unfair, but friendship can be one of the most wonderful things in the world. Give this book a chance it's worth the time it takes to read it and once you read it you'll never forget it, ( )
  Jennamarie96 | Feb 22, 2015 |
Review contains SPOILERS:

This is another of those books that was popular when I was a teen but I never bothered to read. I guess I was too busy reading Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys and Teen Biographies to bother with it. It is a book that some would call a classic. If you define classic as a book that is still being read 50 years after it was written then yes it is.

There are the Socs, and there are the Greasers. Ponyboy is a greaser, determined to not get in trouble because getting in trouble might separate him from his brothers. Darry who has taken over as father and disciplinarian and Sodapop who chases away the nightmares and mediates between the brothers.

The Greasers are the disadvantaged youths, born into poverty and never able to rise about it. The Socs are the privileged upper class and while the Greasers do not go into Soc territory, the Socs are constantly roaming through the Greasers neighborhood looking for prey. It’s the way things are in Ponyboy’s world, until the night the Socs try to kill him and his friend kills a Soc.

This book is not so much about the things that happen but about friendship, loyalty and doing the right thing, despite the consequences.

Nobody would write editorials praising Dally. Two friends of mine had died that night: one a hero, the other a hoodlum. But I remembered Dally pulling Johnny through the window of the burning church; Dally giving us his gun, although it could mean jail for him; Dally risking his life for us, trying to keep Johnny out of trouble. And now he was a dead juvenile delinquent and there wouldn’t be any editorials in his favor. Dally didn’t die a hero. He died violent and young and desperate, just like we all knew he’d die someday. Just like Tim Shepard and Curly Shepard and the Brumly boys and the other guys we knew would die someday. But Johnny was right. He died gallant.

Johnny leaves a note for Ponyboy when he knows he’s dying saying: “It’s worth saving those kids. Their lives are worth more than mine, they have more to live for. Some of their parents came by to thank me and I know it was worth it.” You could argue that being privileged and having advantages another doesn’t have, doesn’t make one’s life worth more than another’s, but I think you would be missing the point. Johnny spent his whole life feeling worthless. If not for the greasers he would have lived feeling no one loved him. He did something worthwhile, that people acknowledged. That is what made it worth it.

For being a fairly quick read this book packs a punch. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014038572X, Mass Market Paperback)

According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. This classic, written by S. E. Hinton when she was 16 years old, is as profound today as it was when it was first published in 1967.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:53 -0400)

A revealing account of the tensions, fears, and frustrations of gang life from a teenage boy's point of view.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,559,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible