The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

The Outsiders (original 1967; edition 2006)

by S.E. Hinton, Jim Fyfe (Reader)

Member:Vanity13
Title:The Outsiders
Authors:S.E. Hinton
Other authors:Jim Fyfe (Reader)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (2006), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (1967)

Recently added byawckie, private library, cbarone, Ninek, TAlfiero, Derby_Lane, DebbyeC, MrsMcGlam

English (453)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  All (457)
I'm trying to remember when I read this the first time and I keep coming back to 6th grade, so that makes it 1972 or so. I remember not understanding it... I grew up in a small Connecticut town and I had no clue as to class struggles or gangs...not to mention that the language was confusing to me. Add in that I was never good at reading meaning into anything I read and you get a strange book for a kid who couldn't relate. Now, 40 years later, I find it amazing that it is still relevant enough to be assigned to my two younger sons for their homeschool teen book club. I try to read what they have to read and I'm glad I did this time.

I am positive that I did not know at the time of my first reading who the author was, nor her age when she wrote it. I am impressed with a few of her insights. She possessed a depth of awareness far beyond her years (I highlighted a couple of passages in this reading.) Dated mildly, I'm not surprised that it is still relevant. The themes are strong and as a coming of age book, it is far better than something on the order of Catcher in the Rye.

I'm too old to relate directly anymore, but having read it so long ago when I might have, I can connect to that past and channel that forward and be glad for a different life than Ponyboy Curtis.

Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
4.5/5

Another good one. Stories have pretty much the same theme/storyline to it but good. Hopefully I'll be able to get to Tex before the year is out. I'll be trying to get this one as well for my bookshelf. ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
I read this when I was fifteen. This is the only book I ever enjoyed reading for school. I also watched the movie back then, too. The movie wasn't as good as the book, but it had a delicious cast.

This book tells the story about The Greasers. They go through hard times, and they learn the meaning of friends and family. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
Definitely a book made for the higher grades. This book has the themes of social acceptance and the struggles of life. What friendship means and the feelings of suffering and loss. I feel this is a must read for those in the high school years. ( )
  GaryJohnson5 | Apr 18, 2017 |
For my review please visit my blog: Martin's View: The Outsiders. ( )
  Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

S. E. Hintonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

This book is about a neighborhood gang, called the greasers, that gets into a fight with another group and one of the other groups members is killed by the greasers and now the two that killed the boy are on the run. While they are in hiding, they try to change their appearance, and they get help from their friends and fellow gang members. While in hiding, the two boys tried to save a class that went into the burning building where the boys were staying and they got seriously hurt in the process, and came very close to dying.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014038572X, Mass Market Paperback)

According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. This classic, written by S. E. Hinton when she was 16 years old, is as profound today as it was when it was first published in 1967.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

A revealing account of the tensions, fears, and frustrations of gang life from a teenage boy's point of view.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,455,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible