The Outsiders by SE Hinton

The Outsiders (original 1967; edition 2006)

by SE Hinton

Member:stellaluna722
Title:The Outsiders
Authors:SE Hinton
Info:Puffin (2006), Paperback, 208 pages

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (1967)

English (497)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (502)
Reread.

Oh my gosh this books gives all the feels! I haven't read this book since elementary school and I had forgotten how much I loved it.

The story is haunting in a way. The social division between the Greasers and the Socs is something so true and real and very prevalent in today's society. The struggle of being a teen just trying to navigate the world around them was depicted so well. Being a kid/teen sucks no matter your social/financial situation. All walks of life come with their own set of problems and it's hard enough dealing with them and having to fight one another over, well nothing really. Jealousy, hate, boredom?

The characters draw you in and make you develop attachments to them. I didn't remembered how very much I adored Sodapop until rereading this. And Dally... I always liked Dally, but reading this as an adult, I can appreciate him more. I can better understand why he was the way he was. Why he was so tough and cold, and why he was well and truly lost after Johnny's death. Ponyboy hit it on the head: Johnny was the only thing Dally loved.

I love everything about this book, the writing, the story, the characters. The family dynamic between the Curtis brothers--the whole gang, because they're all one big family that looks out for one another as best they can. It's both beautiful and sad. I'm only sorry I took so long to reread this. ( )
  Virago77 | Apr 19, 2019 |
Such a sad story! I loved the writing and I loved reading the story through Ponyboy's point of view. I must admit the rumble was a little bit of a let down. I don't feel it was clear enough as to why the Socs decided to retreat. I honestly was waiting for something more to happen between the Socs. Also I wish there had been more of an epilogue. I would have like to have known if the Socs kept to the deal and if Ponyboy or Darry ever made it out of town. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Mar 23, 2019 |
First chapter book I can remember reading straight through all night long until dawn. I love and cherish that experience and am always eager to discover a book that has that same engagingpower. (Latest ones that had that effect on me were Cormac McCarthy’s The Road and Clark Ashton Smith’s Hyperborea.) It was probably in the summer between 4th/5th grade. Yes, I read the book first before watching the movie. I have returned to it a few times and am still in awe how this 17-year-old gal from Oklahoma was naturally so tuned into class distinction. This was my first encounter with the subject. ( )
  starlight17 | Mar 19, 2019 |
This is one of my all-time favorite books. I re-read to revisit why I loved it when I was younger. It did not disappoint!!! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
A tale of desperate young men trapped in poverty and violence. The author draws insightful characters and hits a poignant mark on the inner feelings and conflicts of those characters. It is a meaningful story, especially for young adults. Books with a conscience are important! ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

Hinton, S. E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Picoult, JodiIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

This book is about a neighborhood gang, called the greasers, that gets into a fight with another group and one of the other groups members is killed by the greasers and now the two that killed the boy are on the run. While they are in hiding, they try to change their appearance, and they get help from their friends and fellow gang members. While in hiding, the two boys tried to save a class that went into the burning building where the boys were staying and they got seriously hurt in the process, and came very close to dying.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014038572X, Mass Market Paperback)

According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. This classic, written by S. E. Hinton when she was 16 years old, is as profound today as it was when it was first published in 1967.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

A revealing account of the tensions, fears, and frustrations of gang life from a teenage boy's point of view.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,167,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible